Free Streaming Classics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Yeah, yeah, I know y'all mean movies, but this is a classic and it is an official stream from MGM.

:ed:
    YOU RANG?

:thumbsup:
    Thank you, Thing​

MikaelaArsenault and NickySee like this.
  2. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

3. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice. Thanks. Though it would be nice to see a good free version of the '91 film. Those who wait... ;)

MikaelaArsenault and KatCassidy like this.
  4. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Juice (1992, Ernest R. Dickerson)
    Four inner-city teenagers get caught up in the pursuit of power and happiness, which they refer to as "the juice".
    Finally getting around to watching this one after hearing about it for so long. Hood hi-jinks. I hear it's mostly the soudtrack that makes it. Not sure if Pac is on it (think he's strictly an actor in this one). Director, Dickerson, is the long time Spike Lee cinematographer/collborator. Good YouTube print.

5. What do you mean "not available"? It's right here!
    For those whose browser settings don't make it obvious, click on the word "here" in the sentence above.

6. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Chapter Two (1979, Robert Moore)

Neil Simon story about a recently widowed writer (James Caan) and a newly divorced actress (Marsha Mason) who marry after a whirlwind courtship but the guilt from his happiness proves too much to bear.

Oscar nod for Mason in a very New York movie. Have to admit I had a slight contempt for the storyline and as it turned out I had little sympathy for Caan’s character. And though her performance was stellar Mason’s insistence on being tied to an admitted schmuck left me grumpy. Supposedly based on Simon’s personal life with Mason he doesn’t paint a flattering picture. Mason and the two friends/matchmakers, Valerie Harper and Joseph Bologna make a single viewing worthwhile. Free on tubi.

7. NickySee

Tupac was actually pretty good with his ready-to-die performance. Makes you wonder how much of it reflected his real life.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. NickySee

Haha. Thanks. Best being relative, of course. Will say that I especially enjoyed Train To Busan. That's my pick from the list.

[​IMG]
    While a zombie virus breaks out in South Korea, passengers struggle to survive on the train from Seoul to Busan. It's a great zombie flick.

But there are a whole lot of perfectly enjoyable free movies on The Tube that appeals to a wide variety of tastes (thank goodness).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You're welcome.

NickySee likes this.
  11. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Beat Street (1984, Stan Lathan)
    An aspiring DJ, from the South Bronx, and his best friend, a promoter, try to get into show business by exposing people to hip-hop music and culture.
    It's still one of the best breakdancing movies that's ever been made. The YouTube copy looks great, too. The script, acting and overall story are all ... well, weak.
    But I, like many a Hip Hop fan, watch it for the beak dance battles. Still inspiring.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
    An Oklahoma family, driven off their farm by the poverty and hopelessness of the Dust Bowl, joins the westward migration to California, suffering the misfortunes of the homeless in the Great Depression.
    John Steinbeck novel brought to the screen in splendid black & white glory (or misery, take your pick). Great free version on the Internet Archive, which (btw) is another good source for movies.

13. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937, Walt Disney)
    Exiled into the dangerous forest by her wicked stepmother, a princess is rescued by seven dwarf miners who make her part of their household.
    Disney never topped it (IMO). Timeless themes and great caricatures. Still fun, though very 1930s. Nice version on the Internet Archive.

Tim S likes this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What a fantastic movie. And the book is even better because it has a downbeat ending which is very much in tune with the rest of the story.
    The movie is excellent but the ending is much more upbeat and out of synch with the story somewhat.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Had the good fortune to see this on the big screen in the mid-80s.
    Incredible.
    Would have loved to see several of these classic Disney films on the big screen.

16. NickySee

tubi has a ton of free streaming classics. Trouble is finding a movie among what are mostly inferior prints. Got lucky with hitchcock's Psycho earlier in the week. This Ozu classic is another (timely) exeption:

[​IMG]
    Late Spring (1949, Yasujirô Ozu)
    Several people try to talk 27-year-old Noriko into marrying, but all she wants is to keep on caring for her widowed father.
    One of Ozu's best. Not light fare, and the clip above looks at an example of Ozu's approach which is open to numerable interpretations. Great print. Free on tubi.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault and Morpheus like this.
  17. MrSnoid

MrSnoid Well-Known Member

I totally agree

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

years ago the commercials were tolerable ...these days they are HORRIBLE! especially the medical! you have to laugh at some of the warnings they slam you with! ..

19. NickySee

Quite. It’s why my ad-blocker is indispensable (lots of free ones out there). And why I avoid some free On Demand sites, like Plutotv, that have ads built into the programming (Their video music channels seem to have far less ads and none of those long medical ones, thank goodness. I can get my workout on without a huge gap in the music flow.) But with a good ad-blocker sites like YouTube, Tubi , Plex and peacocktv allow you watch any classic flick without interruption.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  20. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Videodrome (1983, David Cronenberg)
    A programmer at a TV station that specializes in adult entertainment searches for the producers of a dangerous and bizarre broadcast.

Finally get to watch this one. Back to the time when VHS ruled. Watching James Woods is always fun. Tubi is pulling it in a couple of weeks. Check it out if you haven’t already.

Pete Puma likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

usually after the fist one I leave the site...there's plenty to watch without being subjected to that crap...

22. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Hard Times (1975, Walter Hill)
    The adventures of a drifter turned illegal prize-fighter during the Depression Era in New Orleans.
    Not a Bronson fan, especially, but Depression era films have a kind of nostalgic mystique though it couldn't have been very mysterious living through it. I hear this is one of Bronson's best. James Coburn plays the promoter. Free on YT.

23. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

24. NickySee

Was wondering if it was still there. Thanks.

25. NickySee

Happy Fathers Day

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bad Lieutenant (1992, Abel Ferrara)
    While investigating a young nun's rape, a corrupt New York City police detective, with a serious drug and gambling addiction, tries to change his ways and find forgiveness and redemption. The first and best version of this story (IMO). And, yeah, this dude's a father. They come in all shapes, sizes and (sniff) persuasions! Free on tubi (looks great).

MikaelaArsenault and conjotter like this.