Free Streaming Classics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jun 12, 2022.

1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next to the Werner Herzog film on how Fitcaraldo nearly killed him this doc on the making of Apocalypse Now is my favorite of its kind -

[​IMG]
    Heart of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse (1991, Bahr, Hickenlooper, Coppola)

MikaelaArsenault and Rekkerds like this.
  2. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Fistfull of Dollars (1964, Sergio Leone)
    A wandering gunfighter plays two rival families against each other in a town torn apart by greed, pride, and revenge.
    The first of this type of Spaghetti Western, it put Eastwood (and Leone) on the map. More style than substance it's mostly eye candy for viewers interested in the genre. You can even turn off the soundtrack, though you'd miss the great Ennino Morricone score. The entire film was dubbed in post-production.

3. NickySee

The other favorite classic doc chronicling a disastrous attempt at making an epic is the 2002 Fulton/Pepe film, Lost in La Mancha, about Terry Gilliam's doomed Don Quixote project. Streaming on Appletv, but obviously, not free. :sigh:

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't forget the doc Too Funny To Fail, about The Dana Carvey Show.

MikaelaArsenault and NickySee like this.
  5. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Contact (1997, Robert Zemeckis)
    Dr. Ellie Arroway (Jodie Foster), after years of searching, finds conclusive radio proof of extraterrestrial intelligence, sending plans for a mysterious machine.
    Always liked this movie though what I remember most about it is the father-daughter relationship. Free on hoopla. Interesting interview with director, Zemeckis, above.

6. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Killer's Kiss & The Killing (1955/56, Stanley Kubrick)
    Two early films from Kubrick, one of which (The Killing, above) is a bonafide Noir classic. It's a deliberately stylized send up on the genre, but deadly serious. Both are free official YouTube streamers.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'The Killing' is excellent, a heist flick wherein things spin out of control. A good sister movie to ' The Ashphalt Jungle'

8. NickySee

James Caan (March 26, 1940 – July 6, 2022) R.I.P.

Three of my Caan favorites (among others) are currently streaming free on hoopla.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gloria (1980, John Cassavetes)
    Badass former moll pulled back into the syndicate trying to protect an orphaned kid.
    One of Gena Rowland's best performances. Nice late 70s New York City flick (great film capture of that travesty called Penn Station ;)). Free on tubi.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Morpheus, MikaelaArsenault and Moshe like this.
  10. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

FYI, Haven't seen it yet but Terry Gilliam's "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" is currently free on Tubi...

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)
    [​IMG]
    The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I just rewatched wuthering heights again in decades that is streaming on the internet archive site.... so very wonderful, Greg Tolland's cinematography is so beautiful

12. NickySee

[​IMG]
    It’s true, the photography is beautiful. This one always seemed dark to me, mostly because everyone seemed to resign themselves to being miserable. At any rate here’s the Archive link. Thanks!

Morpheus and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I like the darkly romantic films.

I also watched Orson wells touch of evil as well.

Great movie.

14. NickySee

Archive has Touch, too (burned in Spanish subs ruin it for me, though).

15. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

yea I know, but as I'm a massive wells fan and it had always eluded me, I had to put up with it.... it was worth it though, great great movie

16. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Long Days's Journey Into Night (1962, Sidney Lumet)
    At the end of a long and hot summer day, estranged members of one family gather in a large house reliving memories, judging and attempting to have empathy for each other.
    Definitely not lighthearted stuff. Based on playwright, Eugene O'Neill's real family, director, Lumet, cinematographer, Boris Kaufman and the great performances of the four leads, Katherine Hepburn, Ralph Richardson, Jason Robards and Dean Stockwell created one of the best films of '62. Very good version above.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  17. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Child's Play (1988, Tom Holland)
    A single mother gives her son a much sought-after doll for his birthday, only to discover that it is possessed by the soul of a serial killer.
    N
    ot sure how long I'll stick with this. But it spawned a host of sequels and copycat flicks. Legit 80s classic. Free on The Tube.

Morpheus and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

one of my favorites

ace in the hole, A Billy wilder masterpiece :)

19. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Murder On The Orient Express (1974, Sidney Lumet)
    In December 1935, when his transcontinental luxury train is stranded by deep snow, detective Hercule Poirot is called on to solve a murder that occurred in his car the night before, with a multitude of suspects.
    There must have been one of two versions of the famous Christie mystery before Lumet tried his hand at it. But he and his crew created a classic (with a 70s Hollywood Who’s Who? that actually works! :p). Free on the Tube.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault and Morpheus like this.
  20. NickySee

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Great Escape (1963, John Sturges)
    Allied prisoners of war plan for several hundred of their number to escape from a German camp during World War II.
    Finally getting around to watching this one. Great cast. Free on YT and tubi. Nice doc on the '63 film narrated by Burt Reynolds.

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What a terrible movie case picture! What is it - 'Whack-a-Mole McQueen'?
    Great movie though.

22. NickySee

Obvious influence -

[​IMG]

also

[​IMG]

:D

23. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Record Safari--about a guy that collects records for the store he works for traveling across the USA for gems.

24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

The Bridge on the River Kwai--classic story of English POWs in Burma forced to build a bridge to aid the war effort of their Japanese captors. Classic whistling earworm tune.

25. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I just watched this one recently, and really enjoyed it! Not only does the guy seem very grounded and humble (not rubbing it in people's faces that he's found this rare stuff for cheap), but that he's getting mostly records anyone would find anywhere and supporting a lot of local shops.

On top of that, it serves as a good guide for certain places if you are hoping to find a record store somewhere!

Mylene, MikaelaArsenault and Morpheus like this.