Free* to a good home

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by returnstackerror, May 3, 2021.

1. macster

macster Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, what would you have selected?

M~

2. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

The Ayre phono or the Bryston DAC probably. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I have an Acoustic Solid TT and Audiomods arm so would rather it went to someone who 'needs' them more, but there is always room for another phono. Yourself?

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

I would have asked for the table and both of the arms.

M~

myles likes this.
  4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I went by Fed Ex today at lunch and confirmed that for the larger items, Fed Ex is a non-starter unless money is no object. She didn't laugh too much when I said I could buy a seat on a passenger jet for less than they wanted for 22 pounds of freight.

5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Not that it adds it value to this thread but you can go here to get an idea of the rates, delivery times. Also here for international shipping information, and here for shipping options and resources.

M~

6. returnstackerror

returnstackerror Forum Resident Thread Starter

So we have these shipping groups:

1- a package to benzo as the BP 26 is most of the weight
    2- a package to either Slippers-on / thekingpin with BDA-1 and Ayre phono
    3- a package to either sjp / glide / hammr7 with the Lexicon RT20 and the two tone arms

I will be PMing case specific info to those above in case they arent following this Fred but this is what I have got from Fedex NZ using my account.

This info applies to all 3 three groups above.

The standard 10kg is too small so we need to go to the standard 25kg box.

The 25kg box dimensions are 21.56" x 16.56" x 13.19" (54.8 cm x 42.1 cm x 33.5 cm) which is perfect.

The std insurance on this box is $US 500 ($NZ 700)... if you want more then you do it yourself.

Technically if a package is lost/damaged, the only cost benzo and co are up for is shipping so the $US 500 covers them for that and they are no worse off.

Using benzo in Azle, TX 76020 as a test case, as theirs is the heaviest, I got two quotes, one via customer service and one via the NZ Fedex website (with all cookies/history cleared)

They both quoted me $NZ 512 ($US 366) and the lighter the package the cheaper it is.

To paraphrases the TV ad.."Thats a spicy price Mama" and should mean everyone can afford the "stuff"

So all is sweetness and light as far as I can see.

I will send specific details via PM to the above and they can confirm they are still in for the deal and I will then proceed with the "Great 2021 Box-a-thon"

Peter (aka The CrazyMFker)

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    benzo and macster like this.
  7. macster

macster Forum Resident

FYI

For whom it may concern "In transit RONGOTAI, NZ".

I'm sure that you can figure it out.

LOL

M~

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

Damn
    I knew that I should have gotten that turntable. Out of the goodness and kindness of my heart I will swap the Eagle for the table and pay the shipping.

:D

M~

9. returnstackerror

If that VPI table you use as your photo image is what you rock with then you probably dont need a new table.:)

RONGOTAI, NZ is the airport in the capital city of NZ (Wellington).

Its a pokey little airport simply because Wellington is an extemely hilly city and this was basically the only flat area available.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/assets/news_crops/71341/eight_col_airport_1_real.jpg

Expansion (longer runway) has been discussed many time but as it stands the largest jet we can support are 737's and similar sized craft.

That is why all major international flights (aside from flights to OZ and pacific islands like fiji, samoa, tonga, raratonga, cook islands etc which can be serviced by 737's or similar sized aircraft) must fly out of Auckland, our largest city (an hours flight from Welly).

Thats also where the fedex NZ hub is, so the stuff being shipped must head to AKLD before going off to the US.

Peter

10. returnstackerror

Ok

all the heavy stuff is shipped (Eagle controller, bryston bda-1 dac, bryston BP26-DA, ayre p5xe phono, Lexicon RT20 uni player and the heavy hitter, the AS turntable).

Just leaves the tonearms... which could be an issue...Two English tonearms and a Scottish one, locked up together for days.

Hope they dont decide to have a drink or ten on the trip else it could be headshell butts at 30,000 ft... very nasty.. esp with the rumblings for Scots independence getting louder and louder.

"You can take a boy out of Scotland, but you can never take Scottish tonearm from the boy!!!"

On a side note, I am getting real good at this boxing stuff so dont be surprised if you see me on Pay Per View fighting Mike Tyson in an exhibition match.

Peter

BillWojo and benzo like this.
  11. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Hope they don't put it all on one plane, it will never get off the runway.
    Well, maybe the tonearms will talk nostalgically about all the beautiful music they played in the past and decide to call a truce. On second thought, put lots of heavy cardboard between them. LOL
    Can't wait till the turntable is delivered, never dreamed I'd have something as cool as this. Peter is shipping all three tonearms to me, I will contact the other lucky fellows when they arrive so I can ship them off. Looks like a few of us are in for major upgrades.

BillWojo

12. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

@ macster, hmmmm, I'll think about it. NOT! Hey, your certainly not slumming it with that VPI table.
    VPI is only about an hour from me, they are next to VAS Audio, in the same industrial building. I took a Denon DL-103 cart up to Steve at VAS to have him do his magic and stopped into VPI to see their operation. Cool place and I think I drooled all over the floor. They certainly make some beautiful tables.

BillWojo

13. returnstackerror

I have just been thinking that this giveaway is actually an interesting social experiment.

There is a strong sentiment expressed by some (many?) audiophiles (with reference to other audiophiles) about "purchase" bias such that when we (or they) buy new and potentially pricey gear, "veils" are always lifted, soundstages are always expanded, backgrounds always get darker etc, simply because we have so much skin (aka $$$) in the game...it cost $$$ so it must be better.

In this case my "subjects" are only up for a smallish amount (shipping) and putting aside the tonearm guys (given any uplift from a tonearm is dependent on setup skill, cartridge/arm synergy etc) all the other stuff is more cut and dried.

So it will be interesting to hear back whether the DAC or the pre-amp etc actually make a real world difference (assuming the gear around it can realize the difference... not dis-respecting anyone).

I would hope insertion of the gear is positive or at least neutral (until maybe any positive differences can be heard after a settling in period).

Peter (aka Dr Freud)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    SJP likes this.
  14. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

Sorry I was out of commission the last day+, playing catch up on a ton of "honey Do" stuff. If no on has stepped up on the arms, I'll be more than happy to accept the shipment and work out forwarding the other two. Just let me know!

15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Aren't I fast though? Just saw this, in time to congratulate some lucky bastards (no offense meant).

Would have loved to get the Acoustic Solid table. Oh well...

16. macster

macster Forum Resident

Thanks again Peter my package arrived today at 10:30 PST

[​IMG]

:pineapple:

M~

benzo likes this.
  17. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Wow hats off to you brother. Pretty amazing thing you've done. I don't even mind that I missed the boat because honestly, I don't need any more gear. I'm sure it all found a good home. I get it's just more trouble than it's worth to try and sell and I hate E-bay so don't blame you for not trying that.

I'm about to retire we thought NZ would be a nice place to retire I never even thought about the voltage. In the end it's not practical anyhow. I though the lifestyle was more to my liking.

18. returnstackerror

So thats four that have made it past The Man with no duty. (the Eagle, the BP-26DA, the BDA-1 DAC and the Ayre Phono)

I am most worried about Bill's TT with regard to The Man but we will know in a day or two.

Peter

SJP likes this.
  19. returnstackerror

With NZ having been covid free for 1 year, its a tough place to get into (due to our restrictions).

The interesting thing about NZ is that there are 6 million Kiwi's in the world of which 5 million are in NZ. So that means there are 1 million ex-pats (or 17% of our population). Prorated, that would equate to 56 million Americans living outside of the US.

I am not sure how our diaspora ranks with other countries (in the mists of time, the Irish diaspora would have been large due to issues we wont discuss... my father was southern Irish) but in modern times a 17% diaspora is high and we have a huge backlog in our managed quarantine for kiwi's that want to return.

Summary: Planning to retire to NZ at this time just wont happen!! (unless of course you are rich and want to build your Doomsday bunker... then its an open door policy)

Peter

Just checked.. in 2014 we were 2nd just below the Irish

Infographic: The Countries With The Most People Living Overseas

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    ghost rider likes this.
  20. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

That I'm not nor ever will be. The grass always looks greener somewhere other than "here" The reality is things are what you make of it to a greater degree. Find the good things and don't get to occupied with the things you don't like. We are going to stay state side and ride it out.

21. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

Should you ever get to Dublin there is an excellent museum on the north side of the river that provides way too much info on the Irish situation. Its an unforgettable way to spend a few hours reliving stories -in greater detail - that you may have heard as a kid.

22. thekingpin

thekingpin Forum Resident

The Bryston BDA-1 DAC and the Ayre phono preamp arrived today. Ayre will be shipped to Slippers-on shortly.

The biggest of thanks again to RSE (Peter)! If you ever find yourself in So-Cal, let’s have a pint or two. :)

The Bryston is sounding super at the moment playing Debussy into a 300B SET into some tweaked Spica Angelus. Clear, clean, crisp, but not sharp. Just how I like it.

Slippers-on and benzo like this.
  23. returnstackerror

Holy Crap!!! (I am sure SHM forum will sanitize the last word)... you dont bugger around. Plugged in and away we go.

Glad it fits the bill.

However "let’s have a pint or two".. you might regret that cause two isnt even an appetizer... it more like a mouth rinse before the main event.!!!

But you are safe... I have traveled so much in the past due to work I have no urge to travel anywhere.

The big question is...upsampling off or on? And is it an improvement on what you had?

Both questions I am sure will take time to answer, once you have some miles under the belt with the BDA.

It 9pm here, so I will chug a beer down to celebrate.

Peter

PS "Clear, clean, crisp, but not sharp." is I think the Bryston house sound which has been misstated by some as "dry" so I am glad you appreciate what it has to offer.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Slippers-on and benzo like this.
  24. returnstackerror

So the BP26-DA , Ayre P5xe and Bryston BDA-1 all arrived safely.

Benzo blew a fuse when powering up the BDA-1 (it appears having it switched on while plugging into the wall isnt a good strategy) but as of today all three units power up and thekingpin (who received both the BDA-1 and the ayre [to be sent onwards]) has run both units with malice in his system.

The other good news is both the Lexicon RT20 and more especially the Big Arsed Acoustic Solid table have got past The Man with no duty and will be delivered tomorrow.

Lets hope BillWojo has a sturdy rack.. this aint no Rega that you hang off a wall shelf.

Just leaves the three tonearms which were the last to be sent and these should be delivered early next week.

If only I could see all those smiling happy faces!!

Peter

myles, SJP, Slippers-on and 1 other person like this.
  25. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Well not mine, but here's how I feel, Peter about the Ayre! Its going to be fun pitting the Ayre against the all tube Icon Audio PS MK II. The Icon is getting the upgrades next month.... The Ayre will be going into a second system.

[​IMG]