Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quite. They don’t call it Idiot Box for nothing. And, yeah, it may be a different situation in European, Asian or African countries but American television is a wasteland for good films. There really is no single source of great films from all over the world (The Criterion Channel attempts it) but television is probably the worst.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  2. NickySee

This movie has been the butt of more jokes than I can recall through the years. Bout time I got around to actually watching it. Thanks. :)

Morpheus likes this.
  3. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Rififi (1955, Jules Dassin)
    One of the best heist movies I've seen. The thuggery is everpresent but played down. The 20 minute sequence where they carry out the heist in complete silence is classic.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Yeah, Johnny Carson would occasionally mention it in some of his funny dialogues. It's an interesting film, but not quite my cup of tea. Still worth a watch however.

5. NickySee

Wow. Pulled already? The good ones don't stick around long. Shame too, since the Criterion Channel never streams this one. Cool streamer.

6. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Krush Groove (1985, Michael Schultz)
    Not really a good flick, but great for the 80s Hip Hop/R&B acts. Fun if you like the music and lingo of that era. Wish it had more LL. :)

Morpheus likes this.
  7. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Kagbeni (2008, Bhusan Dahal) 7.4 iMDB rating
    Old friends Krishna and Ramesh meet after ages and on their way to home, an old hermit gives them "a monkey's paw" that has the power to grant wishes. And, from then onward, the paw changes everyone's life.
    New to me but apparantly it's one of the first real Nepali classics of the digital era. Gotta be one of the oldest storylines in the world. Looks intriguing.

Morpheus likes this.
  8. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I watched The Tenth Man last night taken from a Graham Greene novel. Anthony Hopkins is in the staring role plays a wealthy businessman in 1941 Occupied France. He leads a rather solitary bachelor life, but his life takes a turn for the worse when abducted by the Nazis and sent to a prison. I think it's partly about trying to survive the Nazis, regaining one's humanity, and a love story too.

NickySee likes this.
  9. NickySee

I’ve been looking for a nice streamer of this one for a long time.

[​IMG]
    The Second Circle (1990, Aleksandr Sokurov)
    A man tries to come to terms with his father's death and to deal with the mundane details of his burial in a society cut off from spirituality.
    Great cinema. It’ll undoubtedly come off as a pretentious and frightful bore to most on the board but sticking with a Sokurov film always yields something to ponder. Made my night! :)

Morpheus likes this.
  10. NickySee

And for anyone with a Halloween hangover…

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993, Henry Selick)
    Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.
    First time viewing for me. Forgot it’s a musical.

11. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I watched the film, 180 Degrees South, last night, one part doc, one part travelogue about some guys going to Patagonia to climb a mountain, but also dealt with ecology, and many other things. Beautiful photography, and neat acoustic soundtrack.

NickySee likes this.
  12. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I did a quick search before posting this link, and to my surprise nobody has ever talked about this film here. Some of the YouTube comments mention Tarantino, and I get the comparison. If you are not a Brit you'll have to enable the english subtitles, or a lot of the best lines will sail past you. All sides get made fun of in this film, and everyone gets to state their point of view, so of course it could not be made today. Attenborough, Hawkins, and Robson, in fact, the whole cast, with memorable performances. Sensational (and entertaining) film.

NickySee and Morpheus like this.
  13. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Legendary writer Neil Simon's delightful parody of hard boiled detective fiction (by the likes of Hammett and Chandler) is often quite funny. It does a good job of combining Neil Simons' genuinely funny and witty dialogue with some occasional good visual gags. The movie is packed with big guest stars, some of whom have very little time to create a characterization, but everybody does a very amusing job of poking fun at - and paying tribute to - iconic actors of the genre.

NickySee likes this.
  14. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Pat Martino documentary, jazz guitarist, he passed away a few days ago.

NickySee likes this.
  15. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Macbeth (1948, Orson Welles)
    Match box English language Macbeth that has yet to be topped. Still the best Scottish Play on film.

Crimson Witch, sharedon and Morpheus like this.
  16. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Pianist (2002, Roman Polanski)
    Polish Jewish musician struggles to survive the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto of World War II.
    I saw it once years ago but the soundtrack, especially the Chopin Nocturnes played by Janusz Olejniczak, left a bigger impression. Rewatching the film now.

Crimson Witch, AndrewK and Morpheus like this.
  17. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

By today's standards divorce doesn't sound like a witty, madcap subject to make a comedy with, I can't say how it was back in 1943. Either way Preston Sturges provides many laughs with his film. Gerry and Tom Jeffers are finding married life hard. Tom is an inventor/ architect and there is little money for them to live on. They are about to be thrown out of their apartment when Gerry meets rich businessman being shown around as a prospective tenant. He gives Gerry $700 to start life afresh but Tom refuses to believe her story and they quarrel. Gerry decides the marriage is over and heads to Palm Beach for a quick divorce but Tom has plans to stop her. The film's most hilarious scenes come on board a train when Colbert runs into a group of unruly men who are members of the Ale and Quail Club. She becomes their 'mascot' or Snow White - if you will. The underriding theme in the film is about the lure of money and the need to find happiness in that alone.

NickySee likes this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Though, for an alternative, there's this:

Ian McKellan and Judi Dench, with bonus Ian McDiarmid in a couple scenes.

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  19. NickySee

:) Indeed. It's even bore bones in terms of production value than Welles' film. I don't think they even used props! Great perfomances, though.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. NickySee

Thanks!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

It's Noirvember. Al Roberts, a New York nightclub pianist, hitchhikes to Hollywood to meet his girlfriend Sue. The gambler he's riding with, Charles, unexpectedly dies. Afraid the police wouldn't believe the truth, Al takes the man's identity. In a gas station, he gives a lift to Vera, a woman that knew Charles and blackmails Al with tragic consequences.

sharedon and NickySee like this.
  22. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I'm looking for the title of a noir film, I saw many years ago on TCM. I didn't see it at the beginning, which is why I'd like to know the title. At any rate from what I'd seen, the film ends on a water front, and takes place in a bar. From what I speculate, the cops are after the main male character, as are gangsters, who have hired a hitman to take him out. I believe he was picked to finger the gangsters in a court trial. At the bar is also a female friend or maybe a romantic interest. She keeps the hoods busy within the bar so the main character can slip away, however, the hired gun is still outside waiting for him. In the meantime, the cops have been tipped on all this. The guy slips away and walks into a warehouse nearby as the hired gun follows him. So that's towards the ending of the film, I won't spoil it in case someone knows the title and anyone wants to see the film as well. Anyone know the title?

23. NickySee

Kubrick's Killers's Kiss has a final warehouse confrontation scene with the hero and the main hood but the rest of the story is very different. Got me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  24. NickySee

Thanks. Perhaps I'll join you with a few Noirvember picks.

[​IMG]
    The Killer That Stalked New York (1950, Earl McEvoy)
    Police seek a smuggler while doctors, unaware she's the same person, desperately comb unprotected New York for a smallpox carrier.
    Saw it earlier this year. Not bad - and ofcourse, the subject's timely.

25. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Fiddler on the Roof (1971, Norman Jewison)
    In pre-revolutionary Russia, a Jewish peasant with traditional values contends with marrying off three of his daughters with modern romantic ideals while growing anti-Semitic sentiment threatens his village.
    One of the best from director, Jewison, imo. And the Jerry Bock score is unforgettable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.