Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Coffee and Cigarettes (2003, Jim Jarmusch)
    One of my very late night, early morning faves. About a half dozen quick sketches of an assortment of characters enjoying coffee and cigarettes in a public space. On an emotional level the Walls of Jericho separate most of them from each other despite their arrangements to bond over the ritual. Great cast.

Crimson Witch and Morpheus like this.
  2. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Grave of the Fireflies (1988, Isao Takahata)
    A young boy and his little sister struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.
    Studio Ghibli classic.

3. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe (1991, John Bailey)
    A visual representation of Lily Tomlin’s famous one woman show. The live act was the thing to see but this film provides a nice record.

4. NickySee

[​IMG]
    AKIRA (1988, Katsuhiro Ôtomo)
    A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psychic psychopath who can only be stopped by a teenager, his gang of biker friends and a group of psychics.
    Finally (after reading and hearing about it for years) watching it for the first time tonight. Looking forward to the much hyped animation.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I was in the mood for something lighter the other day, and hadn't seen this. Pretty fun, and has an early Michael Richards (Cramer) in it too along with many others.

6. Toomanydogs

Toomanydogs Forum Resident

7. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Our Man In Havana (1959, Carol Reed)
    Jim Wormold, who is a vacuum cleaner salesman, participates as an Agent in the British Secret Service. But he soon realizes that his plans by lying are going to get him into trouble.
    Waited years to see this one, primarily because of its lead, Alec Guiness. He's one of my favorite 20th Century actors. But here he plays a very small man in a small film. It's meant to be a comedy/send up of the secret agent thriller but all the uber-conservative (practically racist) undertones make it less enjoyable. The excellent camerawork of Oswald Morris, capturing the old Cuba (when it was new), makes it a worthwhile viewing. Long live the revolution.

8. NickySee

[​IMG]
    My name Is Nobody (1973, Tonino Valerii)
    A young, easy-going gunman worships and competes with an old gunfighter who only wants to retire.
    While I admire the Young Henry Fonda in classics like The Young Abe Lincolm, Ox-Bow Incident and The Grapes of Wrath, I really like watching him as an older badass in the 60s and 70s Westerns. This is one of em. It's a comedy like the earlier (and better) There Was A Crooked Man (1970) and a send up of the classic hero-worshipping young gun. Whatever happened to (pretty-boy lead) Terence Hill? Good looking copy.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  9. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Red Balloon (1956, Albert Lamorisse)
    A red balloon with a mind of its own follows a little boy around the streets of Paris.
    Another one I've been meaning to watch but never got around to viewing. At 34 minutes director, Lamorisse, is the only person ever to have received an Oscar (best Screenplay) for so short a short film.

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Charade is a 1963 American romantic comedy mystery film directed by Stanley Donen, written by Peter Stone and Marc Behm, and starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. The cast also features Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy, Dominique Minot, Ned Glass, and Jacques Marin. It spans three genres: suspense thriller, romance and comedy.

11. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Doc about the famed studio that help create many hit songs:

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I think Timothy Treadwell had a little bit of a screw loose, but it's an interesting doc on his life among the grizzly bears.

NickySee likes this.
  13. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Voyage of the Rock Aliens (1984)

This is one of those "so bad it's good" movies. Aliens piloting a guitar shaped spacecraft visit earth and learn to rock and roll. Starring Pai Zadora!

14. NickySee

Mega like! :cool:

Morpheus likes this.
  15. NickySee

[​IMG]
    La Note Bleue (The Blue Note) (1991, Andrzej Zulawski)
    The film covers the last few days of fragile Frédéric Chopin's composing period where he stays with the writer, George Sand, as she plays hosts to an array of extraordinary artists at her manor in Nohant, France. It's a visually beautiful romp around a lush French estate but the film seems less concerned with exploring the artist's creative process than illustrating their individual peccadilloes as the Polish-Russian War (1830-31) provides some contemporary background texture. The music pulls it all together, particularly the playing of pianist, Janusz Olejniczak, as Chopin.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Ando II and Morpheus like this.
  16. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

This is a film that is accidentally in the public domain in the US. Charade (1963 film) - Wikipedia

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  17. NickySee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Night and the City (1950, Jules Dassin)
    A small-time grifter and nightclub tout takes advantage of some fortuitous circumstances and tries to become a big-time player as a wrestling promoter.
    One of the most heralded Noirs. Finally watching it tonight.

Morpheus likes this.
  18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Somebody uploaded Lawrence of Arabia on YouTube a few weeks back. How long it will stay there is anybody's guess. I'm watching it now. It looks great, by the way.

Crimson Witch and NickySee like this.
  19. NickySee

Yes, it looks like several posters have nabbed the same rip. :D (Sound levels all identical, save the Spanish language version.) Does look good. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. Scooterpiety

21. Scooterpiety

Ah, didn't see your post! Yes, interesting they all seem to be the same.

22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I don't have time to go through the whole thread - seems like most movies are available on youtube.

One documentary I liked was the Corporation and still holds well today as not much has changed.

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  23. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

One of my favourite films all time regardless of genre is "Let the Right One In" (not the mediocre US remake which is usual treat the audience like a ***** tripe).

"Oskar, a bullied 12-year old, dreams of revenge. He falls in love with Eli, a peculiar girl. She can't stand the sun or food and to come into a room she needs to be invited. Eli gives Oskar the strength to hit back but when he realizes that Eli needs to drink other people's blood to live he's faced with a choice. How much can love forgive? Set in the Stockholm suburb of Blackeberg in 1982."

Morpheus likes this.
  24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I thought I'd include a doc I saw on The Band off TubiTV. TubiTV is a free streaming platform (with ads), that you can get thru Roku, probably Firestick, iPad, your computer, etc. I recommend the Roku and Walmart has them on sale now for $30. which is cheap, imo. (Here in the states anyway.) I think any of the Roku models are about the same, so I just go with the cheaper models. Anyway, here's a link to the The Band: The Band (Classic Albums). It's about the making of their second album, but has interviews and some background stuff as well. The Band: The Band (Classic Albums) (1997)

The Last Waltz is on there too. The Last Waltz (1978)

NickySee likes this.
  25. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

This is some MST3K Marathon that annually held on Thanksgiving:

NickySee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.