Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Other Godzilla features have been showing up too on YT:

NickySee likes this.
  2. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Big Combo (1955, Joseph H. Lewis)
    A police lieutenant is ordered to stop investigating deadly crime boss Mr. Brown, because he hasn't been able to get any hard evidence against him. He then goes after Brown's girlfriend who despises him, for information instead.
    About as gritty as they come. Good copy. Though it's not a genre I especially like there have been a few interesting new noir discoveries this month. Thanks for tipping it off, Morpheus!

Morpheus and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Tales from the Script (2009, Peter Hanson)
    War stories and life lessons from the industry's top writers.
    Mostly talking heads but an interesting glimpse of the industry for cinephiles.

Morpheus and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

UHF is currently free to watch.

NickySee and Morpheus like this.
  5. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Laurel & Hardy ditch their wives for convention partying.

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Lassie Come Home--1943 Hard times come for the Carraclough family and they are forced to sell their dog, Lassie, to the rich Duke of Rudling. Lassie, however, is unwilling to remain apart from young Carraclough son Joe and sets out on a long and dangerous journey to rejoin him. A young Elizabeth Taylor and Roddy McDowall are in the cast. I eventually bought a copy of this some years ago.

NickySee likes this.
  7. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

The reason I've enjoyed noir during this November is because they have mature themes. Oddly I subscribe to two streaming services, Netflix and HBO Max, and although they have movies I'll watch, it seems more and more movies have been catered to younger taste: super heroes, horror, bawdy teen movies, franchises like Ghostbusters, animation, etc. And not to dwell on the negative too long, I do like genre films: SF, horror, and many of those things too. But I miss watching serious films, and I think these noir films have done that for me lately. Here's another one, and I have a copy of it at home, but haven't watched it lately.

Kiss of Death 1947--A gritty tale of deceit and manipulation filmed with an almost documentary-style realism, this hard-edged noir thriller stars Victor Mature as a gangster who takes the rap for a jewelry-store heist to protect his wife and children. But when his friends on the outside fail to honor their promise, he turns the tables on the mob and works with the FBI to incriminate the men who helped put him away. Richard Widmark debuts as the evil mobster with the manic laugh. There's an unforgettable scene where Widmark pushes a wheelchaired-bound old lady down a flight of stairs without ever stopping his maniacal laughing.

NickySee likes this.
  8. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Doubt (2008, John Patrick Shanley)
    A Catholic school principal questions a priest's ambiguous relationship with a troubled young student.
    Shanley's film version of his Broadway play. Merryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Irving are all good. Viola Davis had her breakout cameo role. Somber but interesting film. In retrospect it seems less about faith in God than trust in humanity.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Morpheus and Karnak like this.
  9. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Hunt For Red October (1990, John McTiernan)
    A rogue Soviet naval captain wishes to defect to the United States with his officers and the Soviet Navy's newest and most advanced ballistic missile submarine, a fictional improvement on the Soviet Typhoon-class submarine. A CIA analyst correctly deduces his motive and must prove his theory to the U.S. Navy before a violent confrontation between the Soviet and the American navies spirals out of control.
    Another famous submarine flick - that some compare to Das Boot (tall order, imo) - I'm watching for the first time tonight. It's an "official" free stream so see it before it's yanked.

10. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

A really great documentary from 2002 on the the making of Chaplin's "The Great Dictator", called "The Tramp & The Dictator".
    Including unseen color, behind the scenes footage, shot by Chaplin's brother.

Though I saw The Great Dictator for a film course in HS (40 years ago). I was amazed at how little I really knew of, concerning the background of this ground-breaking film.

11. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Forks Over Knives (2011, Lee Fulkerson)
    Examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.
    First time viewing for me - though it seems to cover a lot of the same ground as What The Health?, which scared me out of eating meat and animal based products on a regular basis. Great copy.

Eleanora's Alchemy and Morpheus like this.
  12. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Eric Clapton: A Life in 12 Bars (2017, Lili Fini Zanuck)
    A look at the life and work of guitarist Eric Clapton, told by those who have known him best, including BB King, Jimi Hendrix, and George Harrison.
    Always liked his playing though I never sought out to listen to Cream or Clapton, solo. Interesting doc. Good copy.

Morpheus likes this.
  13. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Naked Kiss (1964, Samuel Fuller)
    A smart hooker blows into a small town and tries turning over a new leaf by joining the local children's hospital staff.

Unlikely story made (at least) interesting by Fuller's writing and way with actors. Constance Towers is totally credible as the hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold though most in the cast aren't as talented. It's a slightly perverse fairy tale that sticks wih you after the credits roll. The above post is the best copy I've seen on The Tube.

14. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Re: Forks Over Knives--yes, I was juicing for a while, and I still watch my intake of foods. I've modified things over the years since this doc came out. Juicing just got too involved on a regular day to day basis. I can't exist just on juice alone either or liquids. I hate fasting as well. I now just make a smoothie with my Viatmix, although you could just use any blender, or one of those bullet blender mixers. Mostly I just make smoothies with a banana with a small slice of ginger root, protein powder (vanilla), a bunch of kale or other greens, and then throw in whatever else I might want: tbl. raw oatmeal, strawberries, cinnamon, and a splash of Almond, Coconut, or mix of both milks. Pretty tasty too and a lot easier to clean up, and you intake all the pulp as well.

I was watching PBS's telethon fund raising event last night and saw the spiel by Dr. Josh Axe, and a lot of these health gurus talk about the same thing. Dr. Joel Fuhrman was another I encountered before Axe. I can't adhere to any of their protocols exactly down to the T. But if I can incorporate some of it, I think I'm doing better than I had been with my diet, plus cut out as much fast food as I can, etc., get a little exercise, sleep, drink water, teas, etc.

NickySee likes this.
  15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Derek has the easiest meals to make afaic, and he doesn't use any far out ingredients either for the most part.

NickySee likes this.
  16. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Inspired by a true story set in Victorian England, a tale charting the life of Beatrix Potter--a literary phenomenon of the early 20th century. At a time when most young women of her class aimed only to make a good marriage, Beatrix became an iconic figure, swimming quietly, but with great fortitude, against the tide. She created a series of books and characters that are as beloved today as they were a hundred years ago, and since their publication they have never been out of print.
    The story telling might be pretty by the numbers, but done well, and I enjoyed it.

NickySee likes this.
  17. Mr&MrsPotts

Mr&MrsPotts Forum Resident

En Couer en Hiver/A Heart in Winter (1992) directed by Claude Sautet.

[​IMG]

A look at when the overlap of work, business and romance are so interconnected that a change in one aspect can quickly spread, deeply impacting the others. Built around Daniel Auteuil being something of a Pechorin to Emmanuelle Beart's Princess Mary - watch her eyes saccade during lunch as she warily tries to figure him out - and all of it augmented by the soundtrack of Ravel.
    Accessible, not hugely demanding, but I feel it's worth a watch.

NickySee and Morpheus like this.
  18. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Classical composer doc:

NickySee likes this.
  19. NickySee

:agree: Sounds good. Yeah, did the juicing thing for a while, myself. Frankly, I prefer to eat fruit as is. But the cravings for meat and animal based products have disappeared - even during tv sporting events (with the endless junk food ads). That's a step! :)

Morpheus likes this.
  20. NickySee

Thanks

Mr&MrsPotts likes this.
  21. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Underground (1995, Emir Kusturica)
    A epic Yugoslav story of two friends from the beginning of WWII to the start of the Yugoslav wars.
    One of the best finds on The Tube this week. The poster doesn't provide English subs but the virtual insanity is fairly easy to follow. :D Highly recommended.

Morpheus likes this.
  22. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Guillermo del Toro's Top 10 Noirs

23. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

del Toro recently made Nightmare Alley, which I've not seen yet, but below is the original.

NickySee likes this.
  24. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I think this young woman is one of the better YT movie reviewers. She's insightful, and doesn't always have to review the newest Batman movie or whatever is hip at the moment.

NickySee likes this.
  25. NickySee

She's certainly interesting, though your post would probably gain more traction here. But since the subject of your recommended poster's talk is The Sound in Val Lewton's Horror Films (and this thread is about movies), how bout watching one? :)

[​IMG]
    The Leopard Man (1943, Jacques Tourneur)
    A seemingly tame leopard used for a publicity stunt escapes and kills a young girl, spreading panic throughout a sleepy New Mexico town.
    New to me (and not really my cup of tea) but I'll pay special attention to the sound element as this has proved to be one of Lewton's more successful films. According to wikipedia, "It is one of the first American films to attempt an even remotely realistic portrayal of a serial killer (although that term was yet to be used)." The above YT copy is adequate. There's a better one here.

There's a nice copy of Lewton's Ghost Ship here (beware of initial ad pop-ups). This flick's more my thing. Weiselberry's (the poster you recommended) nod to this one is another illustration of effective sound in Horror Films. Thanks for the tip, btw.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Morpheus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.