Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)--Directed by Frank Capra. Gary Cooper stars as Longfellow Deeds, a simple man who inherits an enormous estate from an estranged relative. When he is forced to "go to town" to manage the his new business affairs, their are many ready to take advantage of the country bumpkin, including a shrewd journalist (Babe Bennett played by Jean Arthur). Deeds outwits them all until Babe Bennett comes along. When small-town boy meets big-city girl anything can, and does, happen. Patriotism and the plight of the common man are recurring themes in Frank Capra films.

NickySee and jason88cubs like this.
  2. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Oliver Twist (1948, David Lean)
    Master filmmaker Lean's take on the Charles Dickens classic. I've waited years to watch it. Think it's currently on The Criterion Channel but I never saw a great copy on YouTube until today. Cheers.

Rubberpigg, Morpheus and a customer like this.
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Noir: A down-on-his-luck ex-GI finds himself framed for an armored car robbery. When he's finally released for lack of evidence--after having been beaten up and tortured by the police--he sets out to discover who set him up, and why. The trail leads him into Mexico and a web of hired killers and corrupt cops.

NickySee likes this.
  4. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Giants and Toy (1958). Acerbic sometimes comedic Japanese take on capitalism.

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  5. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Have the DVD but you're right. One of the best "foodie" movies ever.

NickySee likes this.
  6. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Female Trouble: John Waters's film, looks pretty cheesy. I've not seen it yet.

NickySee likes this.
  7. NickySee

Cheesy as it often is I gotta say this is my favorite Kubrick movie. It's a free stream compliments of YouTube so the quality is premium (did someone list this and I just overlooked it?). Anyway, stopping everything to watch it... AGAIN. :-popcorn:

[​IMG]
    The Killing (1956)
    Crook Johnny Clay assembles a five-man team to plan and execute a daring racetrack robbery. Kubrick has fun with all the Noir tropes without going over the top and turning it into a spoof. I haven't been able to pinpoint what makes the rather ordinary plot so compelling. The talented Lucien Ballard did the photography but you can bet Kubrick told him exactly where to put the camera. The editing isn't particularly fancy or clever, in fact, it's almost deliberately clunky in the manner of the innumerable B-Movie noirs of the late 40s and 50s. I suppose it's really one of the best paeans to that era of filmmaking that makes it so much fun to watch.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  8. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I just posted this on another thread. Swordsman 2 with Jet Li.

NickySee likes this.
  9. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Go into this knowing as little as possible.

Ando II, jupiter8 and NickySee like this.
  10. NickySee

Got a link?

11. NickySee

Thanks. Here's a better version (and without the annoying watermark ;)) -

[​IMG]

Morpheus likes this.
  12. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Speedy (1928, Ted Wilde)
    An out-of-work New York baseball fan gets a job as a cab driver and saves his girlfriend's grandfather's horse and trolley business.
    One of my favorite silent comedies.

jupiter8 likes this.
  13. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Red (1994, Krzysztof Kieślowski)
    A fashion model stumbles into a relationship with a voyeur. It's the third in Kieślowski's trio of films (including Blue and White). Essentially, this one is about unavoidable human connections that are made despite our attempts to manipulate the ones we desire into being. It's what I get from it, anyway. In Kieślowski's three colour vision it's his exploration of fraternity; Blue represnting liberty and White - equality. It's an intriguing visual ride.

Morpheus likes this.
  14. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I haven't read through all 6 pages, so apologies if this has been mentioned.
    But has anyone else noticed that these free movies aren't always free?

I saw "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" pop up in my feed as a free movie earlier this week. I want to see it, but I decided to wait until my GF came over yesterday. So last night I searched for it, and I only had the option to rent it for $3.99, it wasn't free. :confused:

NickySee likes this.
  15. NickySee

Yeah, looks like it was just a September YT freebie. The movies that YT officially streams ALL have an expiration date. The others on subscriber channels come and go but have no definite window.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  16. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

That was one great store!, and the staff would help you find anything or order it without huffing and puffing like most shops now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    NickySee likes this.
  17. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

Free w/ads Duke

18. NickySee

Thanks. Gotta be in the mood for Duke. But I'll check it out before it expires. Also, there are no ads on YouTube if you go Premium - or have a good adblocker (which I highly recommend, anyway).

Jcashfan likes this.
  19. NickySee

This one's a little heavy.

[​IMG]
    The Wall (2012, Julian Pölsler)
    A woman inexplicably finds herself cut off from all human contact when an invisible, unyielding wall suddenly surrounds the countryside. Accompanied by her loyal dog Lynx, she becomes immersed in a world untouched by civilization and ruled by the laws of nature.
    First time watch for me. Looks intriguing, though. Good reviews.

Morpheus likes this.
  20. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

NickySee and Morpheus like this.
  21. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I saw Diverge last night & thought it was pretty good if you like the genre, which is part SF, part time travel, part art film, part apocalyptic thriller. It's also rather low budget, but high concept, and makes you think, so that's generally pretty good for me. Diverge starts (maybe too slowly for some, but I enjoyed it from the git-go) with the apocalypse and then works backwards to how it the tragic end began. In the second act we start to find out more what the story is about. Overall I found the cinematography interesting as well as the story. I still puzzle over some of the story's plot and find it quizzical that it was handled the way it was, but overall I enjoyed it. It's a short film, so won't take up too much of you time.

NickySee likes this.
  22. NickySee

The cast in the first one are old reliables. Queued. :)
    Thanks for both.

Jcashfan likes this.
  23. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Deadline USA (1952, Richard Brooks)
    This one is Criterion Collection material in my book. Humphrey Bogart plays the managing editor of a New York City daily paper about to be bought and scrapped. With the help of Ethel Barrymore, the widow of the dead publisher, he attempts to save the paper with a running exposé of a crime lord who wants to sink it. Great cast, though Kim Hunter (who had just won an Oscar playing opposite Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire) is wasted as Bogie's unhappy wife. Very good newspaper flick filmed in the old Daily News building.

24. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

25. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Paris Blues (1961, Martin Ritt)
    Two young American tourists (Joanne Woodward, Dihann Carroll) hook up with two expatriot musicians (Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier) in Paris. The music of Duke Ellington is featured and Louis Armstrong makes a cameo. Odd favorite.

Crimson Witch, Morpheus and Jcashfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.