French Cinema - an appreciation

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Blencathra, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

recently enjoyed Frantz and Une Nouvelle Amie (The New Girlfriend), both movies by Franciz Ozon...
    also a pleasant romantic comedy Mon Pire Cauchemar with Isabelle Huppert
    also La Doublure (The Valet), and Hors de Prix (Priceless), Les emotifs anonymes, and Amelie are charming romantic comedies
    Haute Tension and A L'intereur (Inside).... good thrillers

from the past I enjoy comedies with Pierre Richard..... Le Jouet is still one of my favorites, love the movie and music by Vladimir Cosma, movie was later remade as The Toy..

also comedies of Louis De Funes..... especially Les Aventures de Rabbi Jacob, La Grande Vadrouille, Oscar, and Le corniaud

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Classic poster.

johnsiddique, rockerreds and wolfram like this.
  3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I'm surprised there's been no mention of (in my estimation) the master Claude Chabrol. My personal favourites of his are The Butcher (1970) and The Unfaithful Wife (1969). Although only some of his titles appear to have made it to BD, there are solid collections of his work on DVD.

Indeed, anyone with a Hitchcock, noir or giallo interest would be well served by viewing some Chabrol (who very clearly inspired Italian genre directors). He was a monumental filmmaker, sadly often overlooked - even though he shares the same Cahiers du Cinema pedigree as Truffaut and Godard.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  4. alexpop

This thread needs more poster examples !!!:righton:

wolfram likes this.
  5. alexpop

6. arley

arley Forum Resident

To follow up on my previous post, this movie is now available on Blu-Ray.

And Diva was mentioned; it's been described as a popcorn movie for intellectuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Diva (1981) - IMDb

johnsiddique and Jazzmonkie like this.
  7. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Hostile (2017) - post-apocaliptic survival movie mixed with a romantic movie, but closer to romance I think
    Jeune and Jolie (2013) - a nice movie from Francois Ozon . I enjoyed a few of his movies..
    Belle de Jour (1967) - similar prostitution topic to above, with Catherine Deneuve
    La Boum ( 1980)- coming of age teenage drama with young Sophie Marceau and song Reality by Richard Sanderson playing a lot
    Le Professionnel (1981) - a crime movie with Jean Paul Belmondo, Ennio Morricone Chi Mai theme music is great

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  8. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Populaire (2012) - very pleasant light romantic comedy

9. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I am not sure if I watched the uncut version, but it had a lot of nudity and topless women...

Does anyone have favorite Alain Delon movies? I watched Le Samourai, and to be honest I don't think it's as great as some people make it out to be...... and how did the police initially know where to find him?
    La Piscine (The Swimming Pool) is nice, Romy Schneider and Delon are a nice couple..

I've also seen Un Flic, Le Choc, Le Battant...... they were amusing, but nothing that great

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  10. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

My late wife was French so I have around 400 French film in my Library. Bunuel, Kieslowski, Truffaut, Godard, Blier, Ozon, Chabrol, Besson, Malle, Demy, Vadim and Leconte to name a few.

My favourites include:
    Three Colours Trilogy
    Belle De Jour
    The Double Life of Veronique
    Prix de beaute
    Sweetheart (Toutes Peines Confondues)
    La Femme Nikita
    A Heart In Winter
    Cartouche
    Monsieur Hire
    The Swimming Pool
    That Obscure Object Of Desire
    Wages Of Fear
    Yvonne's Perfume
    Jules And Jim
    Breathless
    The Collectioneuse
    The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoise
    Blow Out
    Wild Reeds

Halfwit likes this.
  11. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

last weekend Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows) was on TCM, pretty good movie

Spokeless likes this.
  12. DarkwingPuck

DarkwingPuck Forum Resident

I finally caught Breathless on TCM a few nights ago, and that has prompted me to go through Godard's work, at least until Weekend. Following Weekend, are there any more films that are required viewings? I know he gets very, very political in the 70's and I'm not sure if that's going to be my cup of tea.

13. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

TCM ran it recently as Elevator to the Gallows—a great movie, with a lot of similarities in style and tone to Breathless... made in ‘59, but not released here till ‘61, so often overlooked in the academic surveys of French New Wave ...

14. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

While no expert - I, like you, have always been drawn to those aspects you discuss about french cinema.
    and agree Hollywood offers little of this now, and other cinemas that I'm exposed to such as the Indian film world seem to have gone down a tunnel I just don't feel adds anything to our humanity - It did have such films as the Apu Trilogy once upon a time..

But back to french films
    Off the top of my head some faves

1st two Louis Malle films
    Ascenseur pour l'échafaud
    Les Amants

I actually like Zazie too (along with the book) but it is very much of its time a bit too much, in my opinion - but any Louis malle is worth the risk

Jules et Jim (of course)

my all time favourite film in any cinema is

Un Coeur En Hiver - just astounding acting from the 3 leads, such a depth of unspokeness that is very real

I really have always had a thing for Emmanuelle Beart as well, even my wife lets me off on this one haha,
    Beart is actually a great actress and this film might be her best

Amelie is a delight and rightfully well known as such

Am excited about any recommendations this thread may throw out, as French film seems to have vanished from the UK. My town has an independent cinema that used to show a french movie every week, sadly new management has taken the theatre down the route of trying to fit with the town's identity politics rather than just loving film, and we get almost no french film now unless it fits the agenda in the manager's head. The town is called Hebden Bridge should you be wondering. I'm friendly with the projectionist - he too dispairs.

apologies for too long an entry.. town is in lockdown.. trying to stay sane

alexpop likes this.
  15. johnsiddique

Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy is amazing have the DVDs here - amazing who some of his friends are who pop up in them too... I loved his La Belle et la Bête

[​IMG]

16. johnsiddique

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

L annee des meduses

18. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Maybe try Plein Soleil (1960) but then I thought Le Samourai and Un Flic were terrific...

AndrewK likes this.
  19. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

thank you, Plein Soleil is on my list to see, I only saw the US remake...

stumbled upon and watched Beau Pere (1981), controversial Lolita topic, but a nice movie, I found movie to be pretty sad actually

20. FallenLeaves

FallenLeaves Active Member

Oh I wish I could buy DVDs of French cinema. I love French cinema as well, there's just an artistic independence, and I couldn't articulate well but it's special haha.

One of my most favorite films is a French-Polish film, La Double Vie de Veronique. It is one of the most beautiful films ever.

Other favorites -

Un cœur en hiver
    Claire's Knee
    A Summer's Tale
    Les amants du Pont-Neuf
    La Haine
    Hairdresser's Husband
    Une Femme est une femme
    The Colors Trilogy
    The Red Balloon
    Last Year At Marienbad
    Alphaville

21. alexpop

No DVDs of available from your list ?

22. FallenLeaves

No, I meant to say I'm poor :oops:

23. alexpop

Library?

Ah! New member.
    Welcome!!!!

FallenLeaves likes this.
  24. alexpop

Some films are available free on YouTube usually pre 1960( though you could get lucky ).

FallenLeaves likes this.
  25. FallenLeaves

No, atleast there's no such library near me, and the library that has a good collection is far from where I live in my city.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.