French Cinema - an appreciation

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Blencathra, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well with the Coronavirus best to stay in, surf the net....again YouTube. IMDB is a great film site.

FallenLeaves likes this.
  2. FallenLeaves

FallenLeaves Active Member

Ya, there are very few available online (atleast compared to the length of my watchlist), and we'd be lucky to find ones with subtitles.

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

Some films are very visual guess go with that. I always watch in original language but yeah if it’s strong on dialogue.. subtitles are a necessity

FallenLeaves likes this.
  4. FallenLeaves

hmm, any recommendations? : )

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Tati?

FallenLeaves likes this.
  6. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Premières vacances (Our Happy Holiday) (2018)- a pleasant romantic comedy about a new young couple going on vacation
    Les Beaux Jours (Bright Days Ahead) (2013) - an ok drama about an older woman played by Fanny Ardant starting a relationship with a younger man

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  7. FallenLeaves

thanks, haven't seen any of his films yet.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Les Vacances De Monsieur Hulot.(1953) :righton:

EddieMann and FallenLeaves like this.
  9. FallenLeaves

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

It’s a comedy, don’t know if thats what your looking for.
    Also non Tati...
    The Red Balloon ( 1956).

FallenLeaves likes this.
  11. FallenLeaves

It's okay, I like all genres mostly. I've seen The Red Balloon, thanks

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

There’s a few red balloons. But .. no biggie.:righton:

FallenLeaves likes this.
  13. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Glad to have found this thread. My daughter was taking French last spring and hating it, so I suggested we watch some French New Wave films to make it less dry. This was secretly to open both of our horizons--I associated French films with the badly dubbed versions TV always seemed to play on Sunday afternoons in the U.S. way back when.

So far, we've seen (pardon the English titles; if I look up all the French ones I'll forget what we've seen):

Breathless
    Cleo from 5 to 7
    Hiroshima Mon Amour
    My Life to Live
    The 400 Blows
    Antoine and Collette
    Stolen Kisses
    Bed and Board
    Love on the Run
    La Chinois
    Two English Girls

Non-New Wave: Plein Soleil, Irma Vep

I watched The Mother and the Whore by myself; figured she can wait on that one. :)

As you can see from the list, I became fascinated by Truffaut and Jean-Pierre Leaud--such an unusual and rare partnership. Leaud himself is a trip.

I find almost everything either on the Criterion Channel or YouTube. It's a shame there isn't a wider outlet and that so many well-known titles aren't available, unless Criterion can pick them up.

14. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Which did you enjoy most? 'The 400 Blows' my favourite from that list.

Tanx likes this.
  15. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

In my opinion, 400 Blows is the best movie on the list.

My favorite is Bed and Board, though it probably looks pretty slight on this list. I appreciate the juxtaposition between physical comedy and the less funny sense of being stuck that can arise in the early years of marriage and kids. I think Truffaut did a great job of keeping that tension.

harmonica98 likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We spent the past decade nearly-exclusively visiting our local independent movie house and, IF I could come to some conclusion about French cinema from as many contemporary ones as we've been fortunate enough to screen in an auditorium because of that, my conclusion would be not that just the filmmakers see "cinema" differently from North Americans, but, French audiences must still tend to have different expectations of how to process the cinematic experience than we do. Many are quite aware of their abilities to "play" with the art of the craft, above and beyond the simple exposition of plotlines and expository economies of storytelling; I suppose the American "studio system" has bred that playfulness out of our up-and-coming craftemen over the century.

Even the appearance of a Studio Canal or Pathe logo brings a smile to my face, knowing I'm in for something a little different.

woody and Luckless Pedestrian like this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

There is a wealth of French cinema available on BD and DVD, but, unsurprisingly, you will need to expand your horizons beyond North America and Criterion in order to avail yourself of it. A region-free setup is essential in this regard. Look to U.K. and European labels like StudioCanal, Artificial Eye, Eureka Masters of Cinema, BFI, etc. If you can speak French, Carlotta put out some excellent stuff; unfortunately, their releases are rarely English-friendly.

Frangelico and Tanx like this.
  18. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

MUBI is a great streaming service for world cinema, and it’s available in the U.S. They routinely offer French films, past and present.

MUBI’s set-up is different than most streaming services. At any given time, they offer about 30 (or so) movies. Each day, the oldest film they offer, in terms of availability (so, about 30 days), is dropped, and a new one added. It’s a constant movie-in, movie-out rotation, very different than Criterion (or almost any other streaming service).

Solaris, Tanx and stepeanut like this.
  19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Fair play. I am not American, and I prefer physical media over streaming, but this sounds like a reasonable choice for @Tanx.

20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

stepeanut likes this.
  21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

If you're in the US, I highly recommend signing up for a library card and using Kanopy, which allows you to stream 11 films per month for free. Lots of international and independent cinema, classics, new stuff, old stuff -- just a great range of movies to choose from. I'm going to watch Wild Strawberries tonight.

You can also check DVDs and Blu-rays out from your local library. I had been wanting to see the 1981 film Diva for years but it doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, but my library has it, so I watched it last week. Really enjoyed it.

harmonica98 likes this.
  22. Pardon me to bump here this very old post of mine, but its subject is worth this insolence of mine...

"Anyone into both Louis De Funès and comédie noire and who has never seen "Carambolages" by Marcel Bluwal (1963) owes it to him/herself to seek this one out... Also starring the splendid Jean-Claude Brialy, Sophie Daumier and Michel Serrault. Rewatched it last night: totally out-of-this-world, first class De Funès, screenwriting and film making! An incomprehensibly forgotten gem, influenced by Jacques Tati and to some extent by Jean-Luc Godard, and in return quite highly influent, in the end, on some modern, popular film stuff...

This DVD was discovered by my wife at the national library. As big a fan of prime De Funès and early 60s cinema in general as I am, and now in my fifties, I would have been otherwise completely ignorant of its existence!"

alexpop likes this.
  23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:help: I would really like to know the last line of Juliette Binoche in Lovers On The Bridge/Les Amants du Pont-Neuf.
    The English sub reads 'Let Paris rot.' What did she say exactly in French? Thanks.

24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

alphaville is one of my favourite films by godard.

the sonic quality of the VO, in that film .... i mean ..... what else do you need ? LMAO

i find it a hilarious, and at the same time, terrifying, sci-fi, romp lol. it's actually an extremely beautiful film. to me.

woody likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

But that guy’s voice. Turned me off. Hard to take. Great film, though. Week End. If you have the patience, very funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.