"Friday The 13th Blu Ray Collection" Released 10/13/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Mar 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there is another thread on this recently released blu ray set I will ask a gort to delete it at once. I looked in the search and only found the earlier blu ray set release.

Got this in snail mail today.
    I was looking foward to this set upon it's October 2020 release. I waited till March 2021 to buy it due to technical issues, bad packaging etc. Regardless I give Scream Factory credit for putting such a massive blu ray set together. Between legal hassles I'm surprised Scream pulled this huge undertaking off.

I'll start going through this set in the next few weeks. Beautiful blu ray set, it's nice to have all the 13th movies in one box and have the first four films 4k scanned. If all the film's were 4k scanned this set would of went for much more money.
    Haven't dug in yet. Anyone that has this set please feel free to comment.

Love PT. 1 and PT. 3 the best. Freddy vs. Jason a distant third.

Friday the 13th Collection Blu-ray Release Date October 13, 2020

Friday the 13th: Deluxe Edition Part I Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

Shout! Factory's 'Friday The 13th' Deluxe Box Set (2020) Review - PopHorror

This long documentary isn't included on this current blu ray issue. A shame really but for fans of the Friday The 13TH films and Jason this blu ray set listed below is worth a look. The complete documentary is on YouTube as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YT9IS1G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_FX4GPNFH0N96NT9017TD

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I have it and love it. Note there are three slight defects that they created replacement discs for. Not sure if they did a second pressing with corrected discs or not so check yours out and get the replacements if needed.

FRIDAY THE 13th REPLACEMENT DISC PROGRAM | Shout! Blog

D-rock and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I know this is a complicated question, but can I ask if the trimmed scenes of violence have been re-inserted back into the films - such as the edits made to appease the MPAA back in the day? I know that by the mid/late 80s each new film in the series was effectively being edited down prior to even being submitted to the MPAA, but have any of those mythical 'outtakes' finally been restored? Previous releases have occasionally included some of that material (typically in rough form) as 'Extras', but I'm just wondering if this latest set has addressed this is any substantial sense...?

4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The original Friday the 13th, Jason Goes To Hell and Friday the 13th (2009) have both the Theatrical and Unrated versions in this box set. The remainder of the films are the original theatrical releases and if there is any cut gore scenes they remain extras like prior releases of past. I doubt these scenes will ever be restored to the films, I would say it was a miracle that Paramount released the Uncut Friday the 13th original film a few years ago.

I think Scream Factory did a great job with this release, all of the films have never looked better (with exception to Part 3 which will never look amazing due to the way they filmed the movie). Unless you want to hold off for 4K UHD releases I would say its a worthwhile buy.

D-rock, Johnny66, noname74 and 2 others like this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Finding all those uncut gore scenes for Friday the 13th Part 2 after 40 years was incredible to say the least.

I used to love the first four only, but now I just go for the first two, similar to Halloween. Those first two took the scares seriously. Starting with the hockey mask, they added too much humor and just became silly and tongue-in-cheek. I didn't like that approach, though it made for better group screenings, by lessening the uncomfortability quotient.

D-rock, Johnny66, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Agreed on the Part 2 footage, although when you view all of the results there's a reason why most of it was left on the cutting room floor. The effects either didn't work or they went on way too long. The only one that could have been re-added was Jeff and Sandra but even that one I argue that sometimes there's more impact when you're left to imagine what happened over visually seeing it play out.

The first two films are definitely the serious ones, but Parts 3 & 4 had some of the dark element vibes present. The main issue was introducing over the top comedic characters in Part 3 (Shelly, Chili & Chuck) and both films introducing pointless characters only there to serve the purpose of increasing the death count (the biker gang in Part 3 and the hitchhiker, Rob and Trish & Tommy's mom).

7. Johnny66

I saw Part 3 in 3D on re-release during the early 90s, with a full house at the old Valhalla cinema here in Melbourne. It remains the most entertaining movie experience I've had to date - full of laughs, jumps and screams in equal measure.

8. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Jason Goes to Hell has a TV version with scenes not present in either the normal or uncut editions.

D-rock likes this.
  9. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I think they added this footage along with audio commentary as a separate extra on the Uncut disc if I'm remembering correctly.

D-rock likes this.
  10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I also own this and love it. I am kicking myself for selling off my Halloween set. I am one of those weirdos who loves both Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X.

11. Johnny66

I could never get through Jason Goes to Hell, but I'd hold that Jason X is a rollicking slice of big dumb fun (contrary to popular opinion).

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Checked for the three error blu rays that came with this release. My blu ray box contained the three blu rays with those errors.

Affected Discs:
    • PART 3 (When viewing in 3D) – First instance of 3D opening credits does not come out of the screen correctly.
    • PART 9: JASON GOES TO HELL (Unrated Cut) – Missing “snapped wrist” gore in an uncut scene.
    • PART 10: JASON X: Missing audio during a scene in the film in which Jason kills camp counselors in a sleeping bag.
    I ordered the replacements last Friday 3/19 got them today 3/27. I just finished checking each of the three replacement blu rays and they are all error free.
    I'm happy The Shout Factory were quick with replacement blu rays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got this book above earlier this week. A great companion to this blu ray box set. This book is done in many interviews. Just can't put this book down. I only really like the first three Friday the 13ths and Freddy Vs. Jason so I thought getting this book would be a waste of money.

So I read a sample of it online and was hooked so than I ordered it. This book has got me watching the later Friday The 13ths with a renewed interest. I'm starting to like some of the post PT. 3 movies. Incredible informative book that goes like a companion with the:
    Crystal Lake Memories: Complete History of Friday the 13th [Blu-ray].

Juggsnelson and D-rock like this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

If you pay attention the house scene in Jason goes to hell
    You see the lead actor pick up the book of dead Thats where Jason came from in part
    his mother did a resurrection spell the director confirmed it .
    And John Carl Buechler passed away march 18 2019.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

What are some of the things written in the book that got you interested in the later films?

D-rock likes this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

This might be an unpopular opinion (in horror fandom), but I prefer the theatrical cut of the original Friday the 13th, over the unrated cut. The reason is, like you mentioned, the gore scenes run too long in the unrated cut, and it's much more obvious you are seeing Tom Savini's special effects (which are great, of course). In the theatrical cut, the gore sequences are brief enough that I can't easily register that I'm seeing a special effect. I suspect this is one of the reasons why the original film became a box office hit. Filmgoers hadn't really seen special effects like this before, and they look all too real. In the unrated cut, by contrast, Kevin Bacon's and Robbi Morgan's death scenes run long enough that I can see the change in skin tone that masks the join where the prosthetics meets the real skin. It's less effective.

16. SmallDarkCloud

I don't care for Jason Goes to Hell, but I love Jason X. It's a shameless ripoff of Alien, but the movie acknowledges this, and has a very funny script. The "virtual reality Crystal Lake" scene is a riot. Great cameo from David Cronenberg, too.

17. SmallDarkCloud

Crystal Lake Memories is a terrific book. The author did his homework with the interviews, and each movie is covered in exhaustive detail. Many of the interview subjects (actors, writers, directors, crew members, etc.), are candid and honest with their memories and opinions, so it's not a series of shallow "we had such a great time" stories. You definitely come to understand how mercenary Georgetown Productions (for the early films) and Paramount were in putting these films together and selling them. You also get a recounting of how the series emerged from the American grindhouse circuit of marginal cinema, and unexpectedly broke into the mainstream (playing multiplexes, etc.).

18. Johnny66

It's an exceptional book, indeed. Peter Bracke allows the talent to speak, but it's clear he exercised a masterful hand in editing (and balancing) the material into the final product. The tone is never cheap, fawning or breathlessly overblown - it all just sits perfectly. An essential purchase for Friday fans, of course, but also one of the best film books of its kind. As SmallDarkCloud notes, it carefully maps the bridge between independent genre cinema and the majors in the late 70s/early 80s.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've gotta check mine. I know they sent me one replacement disc without me even asking for it, but I think that was part 3. I guess I need to go check discs 9 and 10.

Do you happen to know if the bad/good discs can be identified by matrix # or anything like that where I can just look at the discs, without needing to watch the movies right now?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Corrected discs will be marked with (“R1) on them. There is no R1 on PT. 3.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  21. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Freddy vs Jason is better than most Fridays.

Have some thread muzak:

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks. Actually I found that they had sent me replacement discs for all three of those, not just part 3. They ALL have R1 appended to the end of the cat # on disc. That includes my Friday The 13th part 3 disc.

23. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

This is a great set, it seems! Also, affordable - here, in german-speaking countries, blu ray releases of these films are much more expensive. Hopefully, a similar set with nice extras and a fair price will be released here, as well.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Where did you order this Box Set from? Just wondering in case I ever decide to buy it, and know I will receive the Replacement Discs with this Box Set.

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Don’t wait if you want it...look at the prices for the Halloween Scream Factory set (the big one- not the regular one) after it went out of print.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.