Fringe (FOX TV sci-fi/drama)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Word has it the watchers will feature prominently in season 4.

2. Ah. I think he's the FIRST Baldo that we see. They are also the First Ones or whatever they were called and this whole thing is a test to see if we deserve to inherit the world.

3. chuckgp

chuckgp Active Member

Friday's show title:

"Lysergic Acid Diethylamide"

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

:edthumbs:

5. Fun episode tonight. Very "animated".

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

cute.

Personally I thought it was one of the weakest episodes of the entire series so far. Only 3 episodes to go in this season. Next weeks appears to put the show back on track, for me at least.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The digital rotoscoping (or whatever) was quite interesting. I get how it was weak though, and I'm looking forward to being back on track and moving to the season conclusion. I think that is going to be a hum dinger.

8. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Forum Resident

In line at Orlando's Park Ave CDs

Attached Files:

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

What a trip! Pretty fun to watch.

10. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Would have like the cartoon actors to resemble the actors more. But then again, it was in Olivia's mind, not mine.

Broyles LSD tripping stole the show for me; he was really cracking me up!

11. That was the best part of the episode for me (although the animated part was kind of cool as well). I agree it wasn't the strongest written episode but it played like a homage of "The Matrix" and "Inception".

It was still fun. A clever way to bring back Nimoy. I assume we've seen the last of him of course this IS "Fringe".

12. chuckgp

chuckgp Active Member

Cedric Daniels tripping was something I never imagined.

:D

13. I enjoyed the new episode quite a bit... and give them a lot credit for trying something out of the ordinary with the animation (especially for a prime time network TV show). Also a bit surprised that they got away with having the characters use a Schedule 3 drug - LSD - without putting its use in an overtly negative light.

That said, I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I won't have to hear Anna Torv's impression of Leonard Nimoy any more!

14. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I liked that episode a lot. Thought it was one of their best recently. I'm back in...

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

OK, I am clueless, how does this fit in? :confused: FWIW, I liked the episode.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

An homage? I think this crossed the line into "cheap TV ripoff" territory, especially when the dream-world crowd reacts with hostility and starts chasing our heroes, exactly like Inception. (There's also a few more visual movie ripoffs within this episode, especially The Hindenburg.)

I think the cartoon Dr. Bell was just an excuse to use the character one more time in a show, while only having to record Nimoy's voice and then just doing a CG stand-in. It was a little Wizard of Oz-ish for me: why couldn't Bell simply have told us at the beginning of the show, "hey, I think this experiment isn't going to work... let's just give up?" Because then it would've been a five-minute episode. :sigh:

We'll hope that next week's episode actually gets back to moving the story along.

17. I would have preferred the whole episode to be in that cartoon mode. There is a fine line between homage and rip off but I think they stayed on the right side of it particularly as they started throwing in some interesting random stuff (the zombies for example and the reference to the movie "The Hindenburg"). Heck, it would have been even more interesting if the characters were animated like a child's drawing but I have the feeling that would have alienated the audience.

I think it might have been more interesting with more random bits and pieces thrown in from contemporary culture from films/TV, etc. but that's me. I still enjoyed it. It was a "filler" episode but it was enjoyable for me as I got to spot the influence in a variety of films with my wife. What I found curious though is the fact that the Twin Towers still existed in her mind along with the dirigible--WHY would that be in her mind as a dominant part of the landscape when she's from here not there? It suggests either a tiny amount of Fauxilivia is still intact or sheer laziness (or just throwing it in there for the fun of it to see if anyone noticed).

Nevertheless, I still found it fun.

18. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I was thinking more like "Clutch Cargo".:winkgrin:

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Nimoy was on record a while back (last six months or so) saying that he is through with acting, focusing on all the other stuff he does, and so he wouldn't be on Fringe any more. Perhaps the whole animation thing was merely to at least get Nimoy's voice one last time, if not the actual him.

John K.

20. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

That or "Jonny Quest."

21. Yeah but he said that before "Fringe" and the "Star Trek" movie IIRC, too and again before he reappeared on "Fringe" (in animated form). Perhaps this was the only way to get him back but that doesn't mean he couldn't come back some other way...after all this IS "Fringe". ;)

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, absolutely. Heck, I'm a fan of the show and even my eyes started glazing over. I felt like I was watching some crap latenight cartoon show on Adult Swim or something.

I just started getting into The Walking Dead, and I suspect that was the main reason they threw in Zombies to the mix -- another genre to rip off.

Eh... it's more visual than our humdrum universe. I think it's just a cheap "kitchen sink" plot device from the writers.

Still, it makes you wonder: how much room is in Olivia's brain, anyway? She's had the dead boyfriend in there from Season 1, Fauxlivia from last year, and Leonard Nimoy from this year, plus her own brain (such at it is). That's a full house.

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Just before the first experiment --

Walter: "Ready Belly?"

Olivia/Bell: "Aye Aye captain" (in her best Spock impersonation) :laugh:

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This thread needs a pic of Anna Torv...

Attached Files:

25. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Kittens unencumbered?