Fripp announces King Crimson to return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Check out The Power to Believe - I think it's fantastic.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I also think Construction of Light is highly underrated. Title track is amazingly good.

sound chaser, dlokazip and gd0 like this.
  3. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

Possibly the most exciting thing I've read here since joining. Knocks all that Macca/Beach Boys/Monkees guff into a cocked hat.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Hypothesis

Don't worry, the first page will start getting spammed soon enough, and life here will return to normal. Tomorrow, a new thread will appear, "Did Mickey or Davy drive the hotter car?

RomanZ and Catbird like this.
  5. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Hard to imagine anyone else singing Belew-era material, though that's probably said of any freshly shook-up band. I could go for an all-instro KC, though Mel and Jakko attacking "Pictures of a City" with the 21st Century Schizoid Band was pretty thrilling.

Harrison+Rieflin+Mastelotto=Drumgasm!

6. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I'll give it a shot. I did actually own Construkction of Light at one point but it just didn't reach me.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

With Belew not on board, unless there is some nostalgia from a past singer, they need to write a concert's worth of new material in the next year. And I figure if the plan was to do Belew era material (at least the non-instrumental stuff), they'd be keeping Belew. Hence my thought that we will get some 70s material.

gd0 likes this.
  8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

From what I can gather from Darren Lock, the line up is
    Mel Collins, Robert Fripp, Gavin Harrison, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Jakko Jakszyk and Bill Rieflin. The band are estimated to return to full duty in September 2014.

So a new line up for a new era.

9. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

I kind of did the same after Thrak which I really liked. I have The Construction of Light & The Power to Believe albums and saw them in concert on the "Believe" tour but it still didn't move me although I enjoyed it.

On a side note, my first official concert ever was on the "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" tour in '73. Saw that version of Crimson 3 times in '73 - '74. :thumbsup:

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Can I have some Lizard Please to go with that Larks sandwich :)

11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

more like a 60/40 split, from the look of it.

I was wondering about this as a possibility as well. given RF's description of the lineup's arrangement, plus the nature of his non-KC work over the last decade, I'm imagining something like reed-and-guitar soundscapes providing a backdrop for polyrhythmic drum and bass workouts up front.

obviously, this is nothing more than conjecture--but wouldn't that be interesting.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    gd0 likes this.
  12. Say It Right

Don't underestimate the impact of Jakko's presense. Fans here should go back and listen to A Scarcity of Miracles, then pick up a copy of The Bruised Romantic Glee Club, if they don't have it already. That will give more of an indication as to the form this music might take.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves, but hope that that whenever this material comes out, that it's released in an audiophile format the first time. With that many contributors, it has to be 5.1 out of the gate.

13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This won't be instrumental - per Jakko's FB, about an hour ago:

"On the evening of July 15 1971 I sat in row 3 at Watford town hall and watched King Crimson.
    It blew my head off. Robert Fripp and Mel Collins in particular.
    It somehow felt that my life had changed as a result.
    That seemingly romantic teenage notion came straight back to me 3 weeks ago on the evening of September 4th.
    The phone rang.
    It was Robert Fripp.
    Did I have time for chat?
    Of course.
    He was reforming King Crimson.
    7 members.
    3 drummers
    He told me who they would all be.
    Except one.
    Would I like to be the 'the primary vocalist and second guitarist?
    Jeez
    Like I said.
    Somehow my life had indeed changed."

CrimsonPiper and drasil like this.
  14. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I hope it's more in the realm of Jakko's experience (KC "blew my head off") and Fripp's words (the promise of "action of the savage variety"), 'cuz Scarcity of Miracles was a bit of a snore.

15. drasil

drasil Former Resident

excellent. still very intrigued about how they'll work him into the backing.

are you thinking that the covers of the early KC material could point towards their inclusion in live sets with this new band? (honestly, I'm hoping not--those were my least favorite bits of the record, particularly the reworking of 'pictures of a city' into 'pictures of an indian city,' and I'm no big fan of the 21st century schizoid band, either. but Jakko's own tunes are decent.)

speculation is as speculation does, in any event. I'd rather be surprised, especially given RF's capacity for left-hand turns.

16. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Prediction: the whole enterprise will be derailed by a single flash photograph from the audience. Stay tuned.

17. Say It Right

No, the style of the first disc of his own material, which is more similar to what appeared on A Scarcity of Miracles.

We're way ahead of ourselves, but if this leads to a recording and tour, they'll take on some of the past Crimson material. You can always count on "Red" and "Larks' Tongues II." Then, Jakko would just need to decide what songs from the 80's/90's he'd want to attempt in concert with approval from the group. Considering this is going to be a year away, it's purely speculative, at this point, and anything can happen between now and then. Remember, there'd been a proposed Crimson lineup before the '94 to include Jerry Marotta. So, the personnel could be subject to change over the next 12 months.

18. drasil

drasil Former Resident

yeah, really. and that's the best part.

Say It Right likes this.
  19. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

I can't completely shake the disappointment/sadness that Wetton or (particularly) Belew won't be involved, but I have faith in Fripp's vision and expect to be won over once this lineup comes to life. It obviously wasn't going to be a nostalgia-fest, but this looks like perhaps the most radical KC reboot to date. Very excited, and it's great to have this to look forward to if/when the next Yes record turns out to be crap/is put on ice indefinitely.

Stewart Meat likes this.
  20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I wonder if whatever has happened behind the scenes in Robert's life to allow a King Crimson reformation will also result in The Construkction Of Light getting the CD/DVD Audio treatment.

21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

+ 1,000,000

22. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I'll miss Adrian in this new version of Crim, Sigh

wayneklein likes this.
  23. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I'd like to see Lizard and/or Islands, complete for the first set, then all new stuff for set Ii.

24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The opening act for every show will be Fripp giving a 30 minute lecture on the evils of recording devices, cell phone cameras etc in the concert environment.

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

John says there would not have been much for him to do "not that he was asked", as there is no vocalist. He does say "They will need a big stage."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.