Fripp announces King Crimson to return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I hate to say it, but I am slightly disappointed. I was hoping the plan would be to debut live with a decent amount of fresh material. That seemed to make sense given the drastically different line-up.

Focusing on historical material seems rather retrograde for a guy like Fripp, no?

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Personally I am more interested in hearing new interpretations of 70s material in particular, having never heard most of that live, apart from the few instrumental cuts covered by the Belew fronted lineups.

samsondale and simon-wagstaff like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They did all old material in 2008 too.

4. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Very excited about this reforming of KC. The world is a better place when IT lives!

Cactus Bob likes this.
  5. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

There is a plan to include the UK in the tour dates, but it depends on a number of circumstances.

Thanks a bunch...

:rolleyes:

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, that is a surprise. In the past, he eschewed revisiting the past for the most part, aside from a few standards. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about them going back and "reconfiguring" old material. I know some fans may disagree, but I thought "FraKctured" was kinda pointless compared to the original.

drasil likes this.
  7. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

The lineup I want:

Robert Fripp (of course): Guitar
    John Wetton: Vocals and Bass
    Ian McDonald: Electric Saxophone, Mellotron (or Synthesizer producing said effect), etc.

Seeing as there will be 3 drummers...

Michael Giles
    Bill Bruford
    ...really hope they're both there, although most likely neither will :cry:

* I would want Lake, but his voice ain't the same as it was in 1969.
    I don't care for the years with Belew, so...that explains that :hide:

8. Stewart Meat

Stewart Meat Active Member

Crimson has a great history of recording NEW material live. Most of Starless and Bible Black & parts of Red were recorded this way.

9. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Starting to sound like 21st Century Schizoid Band Phase II.

10. Tristero

Well, I think you'd need a time machine to take you back to 1975. Then you'd have to convince a neurotic Fripp not to retire the band for a few years. ;) It almost coulda happened, but it wasn't in the cards.

Stewart Meat likes this.
  11. Classicolin

I know... :/

12. Tristero

Prog was at a crossroads by that point and it was soon to go into decline (IMO). Though I would have been very curious to hear a continuation of what was hinted at on Red, I tend to think that Fripp inadvertently made the smart play by withdrawing, recharging his batteries and then moving ahead with a new approach.

drasil likes this.
  13. Classicolin

They could have done one more record before folding up shop before Disco and Punk...and after what Red gave us (imo, their best album, tied with the debut) I think it would've been something to remember!

Runt likes this.
  14. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The first U.K. was pretty close to what the next Crim album would've sounded like (despite the differences between RF and AH).

15. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I'm trying to keep an open mind about it despite being a bit disappointed about the lack of a new record. that said, RF does have a tendency to change his mind if he sees writing on the wall--maybe the rhythm-section-in-front idea will be sufficiently interesting to all of them that new material will be born out of rehearsals.

I do trust RF not to turn KC into a nostalgia act.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    Aggie87 and Runt like this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Only after one day, there's disappointment and somebody else is calling this 21st Century Schizoid Band II.

For gosh sakes, let them develop chemistry in the lineup in concert settings. Then, new material will emerge, which will be better after having been developed live. Plus, don't forget that this is almost a year out, giving plenty of time for writing.

gd0, Stewart Meat and drasil like this.
  17. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Bill Rieflin and Fripp have been working together on many projects, one of the bands they're in is called the Humans, fronted by Toyah Wilcox, furthermore, very professional and friendly rapports have existed between Rieflin and Fripp for several years now. I'm happy to see Mr. Rieflin involved in this, he's one of my favourite drummers of all time.

Stewart Meat likes this.
  18. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Sorry, don't get the love for Red. I'm ready for a nostalgia act. First set Islands, second set Lizard. with these drummers they could throw in a Larks Tongues and I'll be happy.

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

?

They're fairly dissimilar to me. If he'd named it anything else, I'd be surprised if anyone would ever make the comparison.

FraKctured is a favorite in this house. Definitive Crim. Ridiculous virtuosity. No vocals :). Fripp showcase.

And it takes nothing away from Fracture in the process.

Billy Infinity, Runt and brew ziggins like this.
  20. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Fripp actually offered this lineup to Ian back in the 90's to play small clubs and Japan, but McDonald said it would have to be the original lineup or nothing at all. Fripp said his migraine crawled thru the phone, up his arm to his head. Hence the double trio. Read Sid Smith's book about it. They were even going to focus on material from 69-74. You gotta give Fripp points for at least trying. Fripp and Lake haven't gotten along in a long time.

NorthNY Mark and Classicolin like this.
  21. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Not to mention that "FraKctured" was absolutely mind-blowing performed live on that tour. :eek:

marblesmike likes this.
  22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yup. Caught it twice. Lucky me.

Lucky insofar as it was never played after that initial tour. Just plain ol' too difficult.

Trivia: I remember reading that Fripp nailed the studio version solo on the first take.

Runt likes this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Fripp isn't actually in that band, though I think he's given some help. (I saw their brief US tour last year).

drasil likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I saw this tour at Park West and I recall they opened with this piece and Fripp muffed one of the opening phrases, and self-deprecatingly shook his head.

25. Tristero

Yeah, I had a feeling you were going to call me on that, hence my opening clause. I'll admit that the playing is impressive, particularly on the live versions, but somehow it just felt like extra noodly variations on an older formula--Fracture now with spiraling fraKctualizations! It left me a little cold and gave me the impression that King Crimson was finally starting to eat its own tail, but I'm glad that others enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.