From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 6, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

So, the Julie London Mini LP CD Collection hits the shelves tomorrow (Volume 1) at an unheard of price for a Mini LP of $15.64.

Let's summarize what we have come to:

Julie London 95th Anniversary Mini LP Collection
    (Price down 2010 reprint)

Vol. 1

Sep. 22, 2021

(CD)
    Julie London Julie Is Her Name
    Julie London Lonely Girl
    Julie London Calendar Girl
    Julie London About The Blues
    Julie London Make Love To Me
    Julie London Julie
    Julie London Julie Is Her Name Volume Two
    Julie London London By Night
    Julie London Swing Me An Old Song
    Julie London Your Number. Please...
    Julie London Julie... At Home
    Julie London Around Midnight
    Julie London Send For Me
    Julie London Whatever Julie Wants
    Julie London Sophisticated Lady

Vol. 2

Oct. 18, 2021

(CD)
    Julie London Love Letters
    Love On The Rocks
    Julie London Latin In A Satin Mood
    Julie London The End Of The World
    Julie London The Wonderful World Of
    Julie London You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry
    Julie London In Person At The Americana
    Julie London Our Fair Lady
    Julie London Feeling Good
    Julie London All Through The Night
    Julie London For The Night People
    Julie London Nice Girls Don't Stay For Breakfast
    Julie London With Body & Soul
    Julie London Easy Does It
    Julie London Yummy, Yummy, Yummy

15 Essential Julie London Albums + 3

(Revised list)

Vol. 1

Julie Is Her Name
    Lonely Girl
    About The Blues
    Make Love To Me
    Julie
    Julie Is Her Name Vol. 2
    London By Night
    Your Number. Please...
    Julie... At Home
    Around Midnight
    Vol. 2
    Love On The Rocks
    All Through The Night
    For The Night People
    Nice Girls Don't Stay For Breakfast
    Easy Does It

The Best of the Rest

Sophisticated Lady
    Feeling Good
    Whatever Julie Wants

Julie London: Top 10 Albums
    (toilet_doctor list w/rating)

1. Around Midnight 4.67
    2. About The Blues 4.42
    3. All Through The Night 4.36
    4. Julie is Her Name 4.23
    5. Julie... At Home 4.17
    6. Love On The Rocks 3.75
    7. Make Love To Me 3.50
    7. Easy Does It 3.50
    8. For The Night People 3.36
    9. Your Number Please... 3.33
    9. Julie 3.33
    10. Lonely Girl 3.08
    10. Nice Girls Don’t Stay for Breakfast 3.08

Julie London: Top 10 Albums
    (Mr Bass list)

1. Lonely Girl
    2.Julie Is Her Name Vol 2
    3. London By Night
    4. Julie Is Her Name (Vol 1)
    5. Around Midnight
    6. All Through The Night
    7. About The Blues
    8. Make Love To Me
    9. Love On The Rocks
    10. Whatever Julie Wants

Please note: there are 7 albums in both lists - I think that means something.

This is a limited edition for a truly affordable price. Some people in the Mini LP thread admitted - they ordered a whole set. Me too.
    But I also put together these lists so people might think... There are plenty to choose from.

2. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    Tribute, do you agree that these 8 albums should be on the top 10 list:

1. Around Midnight
    2. About The Blues
    3. All Through The Night
    4. Julie is Her Name
    5. Julie... At Home
    6. Love On The Rocks
    7. Make Love To Me
    8. Lonely Girl 3.08

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Technically a tie means there is no following number so your top 10 should end with Julie but I don't blame you for trying to squeeze a few more into the list haha. Julie did have an uncommonly high batting average for albums so even some of the later albums are quite excellent. I rate just three outright duds. The only sustained bad period was during the Avnet era 1963-65 as I recount in my discographies. But Avnet messed up Liberty as a whole so Julie was not anyone's priority during that crisis. I am a bit more influenced sonically than you are. Her voice is so unique that I am bothered when it is noticeably distorted.

bluemooze and toilet_doctor like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

Julie London About The Blues

About Blues is my No.2 Julie's album after Around Midnight. But I see now that I'm not alone:

Review

"Bluesy, Sensual Femme Fatale Film Noir Easy Listening and 5-Star Album
    “About the Blues" is Julie's 4th album for Liberty Records, originally released in 1957 with soon to be husband Bobby Troup as producer. (Bobby and Julie wed in 59). This is by far one of Julie's best albums. Julie has aged musically from her extraordinary debut album Julie at Home. This album ads a raw sensualism, lost in a smokey haze. It feels like the soundtrack to fantastic film noir thriller.

Julie looks stunning in an original gold lame gown on the cover taken by photographer Alex de Paola. Julie would wear the same gown for a photo spread and cover of Life Magazine later in 1957, and Julie was at the top her game. Julie was named the most popular female vocalist by Billboard for 3 years running (1955,1956, and 1957).

Brilliant arrangements and conducting by Russ Garcia: The band players is a who's who of the very best of the West Coast Cool Jazz Artists: Shelly Manne (drums), Maynard Ferguson (trumpet), Barney Kessel (guitar)--also known for helping Julie create her signature sound on "Cry Me A River", hubby Bobby Troup on piano, Willie Smith on (Alto Sax) and Al Viola on alternate tracks on guitar.

I had personally have performed with Al Viola who I interviewed in my book about working with Julie on albums.

Jack Wagner (actor) and friend of Julie /Bobby wrote the original liner notes. Bobby contributed two compositions for the album: "Meaning of the Blues" and "The Blues is All I Ever Had". Julie had also released a single at this time "Baby, All The Time" which Bobby had also composed but it was left off the album. This rare cut is often included in mp3 and cd compilations and is worth getting. The B side was also a great single "Dark".

High School pal Arthur Hamilton penned "Bouquet of Blues" and "About the Blues" for this album. Indeed, this is Julie London at her very best! A stunning, raw sexual album with intriguing vocal phrasing and understated sophistication. BUY IT NOW!”

(Author of the book "Lady Liberty: The Definitive Julie London Handbook", J.R. Spencer, US, Dec. 2013)

All these songs, written for the album, are Julie's signature songs and immediately became the standards, performed by many singers.
    All, but not the title song... as strange as it seems.
    Nobody paid attention, but the first performer of the song "About the Blues" was Chris Connor, who recorded it for her album "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" in 1956.
    I have this album in Mini LP (2008) and I remember this song:

[​IMG]
    Chris Connor
    https://youtu.be/dlvBTB7bgIE

Then, after Julie, but in the same 1957, Ann Hathaway included this song in her album “Intimate Ann Hathaway” (never on CD).

[​IMG]

https://youtu.be/HduBpmoHhko

That's all - no more versions of this song have been recorded.
    Julie's version remains the best version, in my opinion, both in terms of vocals and arrangement.

5. toilet_doctor

I don't know, my wife... she loves me or the memory of me when I was an honest, young and cheerful guy who often made her laugh.
    What do you think?

6. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

There is nothing controversial about this list. The artists and albums presented by Will are not ranked; they appear in alphabetical order by last name. Ranking is a controversial practice and I pay little attention to those types of posts, here or anywhere. It's a waste of time and causes conflict. Anyway, Will's provided a great selection here, particularly useful for new listeners who might be interested in building a collection of jazz and standards albums from the golden age, in addition to some more contemporary titles.

Happy to see Will's inclusion of Margaret Whiting's masterpiece, Sings the Jerome Kern Song Book. A double album for which plenty of care, love and attention to detail went into its creation. Posting one of two dozen beautiful tracks from that album here. Naturally, Margaret also sings the verse:

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

As long as they are laughing with you and not at you life is good.

.crystalised. and toilet_doctor like this.
  8. .crystalised.

Maria is certainly a capable engineer, but Lady in Satin still sounds better on vinyl or SACD than it does on the Centennial Edition. For this release, the original album tracks were fully remixed from the three-tracks, and they've boosted the volume of Billie's vocals in the mix, which brings her a little forward and above everything else. I guess it's nice for listeners who want to hear every squeak, breath and emotional nuance in her voice, but it takes her out of arrangements, and in doing so, loses some of the atmosphere and mood of the album. There is a 'glassiness' in the horns and violins, and not enough 'bite' or sparkle for the instruments - everything is left sounding a little too smooth, ever so slightly pinched, and not nearly as gripping or tangible as the original LP. I have yet to find a digital edition of this album with as much breath and texture in the instruments.

All that said, having the complete take-by-take session reels are a relevation. It doesn't sound like the outtakes were remixed, only the original album cuts. I waited several years before purchasing Centennial Edition because I already have 4 copies of Lady in Satin in my library, but it's nice to have everything in one set for a complete Lady in Satin "Story".

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Ridin'High and bluemooze like this.
  9. .crystalised.

Every Jeri Southern LP I've ever found has been totally and utterly trashed. It's infuriating how difficult it is to collect her on records.

10. .crystalised.

Absolutely gorgeous photo of Carmen!! :love:

bluemooze likes this.
  11. .crystalised.

I have very little Carmen McRae on CD, although I own many of her records. Thank you for this insightful post!! A used copy of this set in good condition was just ordered from eBay for a great price.

Ridin'High likes this.
  12. .crystalised.

Where is the record player? :sigh:
    CD...SACD...HDCD...SHM-CD...SHM-SACD...UHQCD...MQA.
    All of a sudden, my head spins... :whistle:
    This is why I mostly buy record albums. o_O

13. .crystalised.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Shocking! I'm playing Carmen's Bethlehem album + outtakes as I make my way through this thread. I've never heard of record labels forging alternate takes before, that's a new low...

14. .crystalised.

Added to my wantlist!

:drool::drool::drool: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

As I was reading the posts about this album, I was actually thinking to myself how nice it would've been if Columbia actually photographed Jo and Van Damme in the same (or similar) setting together for the cover? Those models are very clearly meant to depict them. Paul (Weston) seemed like a reasonable man with a great sense of humour...I don't think he would've minded.

Or for added charm, make it a winter setting with a snowball fight between them, similar to June's photo shoot for This Time of Year, although it probably wouldn't have sold as well if people wrongly believed it to be a seasonal package.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I just never make top 10 lists of anything.

Not records or women or beer.

I go for all of them, in whatever order they appear.

.crystalised. likes this.
  16. .crystalised.

Mood, frame of mind, interests all change with time.

Recently I've caught myself buying one or two albums I had pawned years ago because they were not able to hold my attention, but now I like them.

I look forward to collecting new vocalists, and I believe that ranking things somewhat hinders the discovery of new material, or the desire to. Rolling Stone may not agree.

I even took a chance on Connie Francis recently - I bought four of her albums in mint condition - some of them expensive UK imports. Although she winded up with some schmaltzy arrangements in her discography, she sings very well, taking some interesting turns with her phrasing at times.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Ridin'High, bluemooze and Tribute like this.
  17. .crystalised.

Does anyone have any feelings about this album? Just bought a copy last weekend and played it last night.
    [​IMG]
    June Christy's Impromptu

June's voice is nearly worn out, but her technique remains in top form. The emotion in her voice is less understated than usual, perhaps due to age. The mastering is a little thin and harsh for my taste, but it could be this Discovery reissue/remaster pressing that's to blame. Some outstanding work from trumpeter Jack Sheldon in this package. Highlights for me include "Once Upon A Summertime", "The Trouble With Hello Is Goodbye" and "Sometime Ago". From a technical standpoint, June's best performance on the album is probably "Willow Weep For Me" but the one that surprised and impressed me the most was "Angel Eyes", a fitting closer, not because of the composition but because it's June's darkest and most emotional reading on the album. I'm not usually a fan of "Angel Eyes" by anyone (the lyrics are fine, I'm just not partial to melodies with too much harmonic release, i.e. 'mysterious sounding songs' like Nature Boy, No More, etc.). But I don't think I've ever heard the verse of "Angel Eyes" before, and it's very well written, so I sat up and took notice right away. Overall, a very nice album for the period and I will enjoy it again.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is sad that her health declined before she was able to enjoy the applause and acclaim as one of the greatest jazz singers of all time by a new generation of listeners.

Her own contemporaries already knew her greatness.

bluemooze and .crystalised. like this.
  19. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

Connie Francis' The Exciting Connie Francis was worth a chance for me. The arrangements by Ray Ellis are mostly VERY BIG, but she makes a nice run at singing an album of standards. Not top tier but interesting.

20. .crystalised.

I enjoy most of what I've heard of Ray Ellis' work. Of the bunch of Connie records I bought, so far the only one that's rubbed me wrong is Greatest American Waltzes, and it's not Connie's fault. Yet, I'm completely puzzled as to why it leaves me cold. I had high hopes because it's the same arranger, same musicians, same city and recording studio, same everything as my favourite singer (Patsy Cline). Clearly it was all about the different producer and/or label that made Waltzes pure schmaltz.

I have a difficult time enjoying the timbre of Connie's vocals (she possesses a whiny quality that will take some getting used to), but her phrasing and teen idol status is what keeps me intrigued as I listen to her records. Except for Waltzes which tried its best to get me to tune out. Thankfully she pulled me back in with a few phrases here and there.

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I fondly remember this song from my childhood... :)

.crystalised. likes this.
  22. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the best place to ask about this but are any of you aware of any threads that do a deep dive into Ella Fitzgerald's Decca recordings? I am FAR from an expert but I am definitely curious about them. I am primarily familiar with her Verve recordings with some Pablo sprinkled in too. I assumed I would be put off by the "primitive" sound of the Decca years. Some of her Decca recordings also have a negative reputation. However, after listening to the Complete Masters 1935-1955 box I found a lot to love. I was surprised to hear that as early as the mid forties she was recording songs that weren't too far off of her Verve recordings. I was also pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. Obviously, the earliest recordings from the thirties sound much rougher than her Verve recordings but the quality improves fairly quickly.

.crystalised. and toilet_doctor like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Just do a search for thread titles containing "Ella Fitzgerald."

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The set of recordings that have been retitled "Pure Ella" in CD reissues are absolutely essential.

You can get these in various editions. Just get one. This one will do.

Ella Fitzgerald - Pure Ella

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

After that, the best way to do research is to buy her Decca recordings. All of them, over time.

If the Mosaic set is affordable, get that. Then get the rest.