From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 6, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Position 3. Doris Day, Day by Day
    &
    Position 4. Doris Day, Day by Night

I totally agree with Mr. Will Friedwald. These two albums definitely are the best and jazziest of all she ever recorded.
    A couple, siblings, a double album - you name it, but when you bought one of them, you have to have another.

In 2014, the SSJ (Sinatra Society of Japan) released both albums with an association and great help from Sony, who remastered them from the Original Master tape and manufactured them for their Vocal Legacy Series:

Doris Day Day by Day + 6 (XQAM-1076) Japan Mini LP CD SSJ 2014 Stereo 4582260931608
    Doris Day Day by Night + 7 (XQAM-1077) Japan Mini LP CD SSJ 2014 Stereo 4582260931615

It's all about the info, guys... What I'm going to tell right now is not a secret, but the information is unknown to Mini LP Collectors because of an error in the ad - nobody mentioned that these are Mini LP CDs.

(translation)
    Day by Day +6 / Doris Day
    "Doris Day 's first 12'' original album recorded in 1956, reprinted for the first time in 26 years. Standard work collection of love that spells with refined style and pretty singing voice. Includes 6 additional songs in Japan that were recorded in the same year."

Day by Night +7 / Doris Day
    "Reprinted for the first time in 26 years, Doris Day's first Stereo album. Received the popularity of "Day by Day", it was created in the next 1957 year; the height of romanticism. Includes an additional seven songs of this year's recording."

I decided to take a chance, order them ... and bingo! Mini LPs.
    Sound quality is so good - easily in the "Best" category.
    And the craftsmanship is top notch either. It's a pleasure to hold them in hands.

In other words: "a must have" release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the best part is:
    Both albums are still available from Japan:

Day By Day +6 Doris Day CD Album
    Day By Night + 7 Doris Day CD Album

I tried to post the better songs, but it's impossible - all songs are equally great:

Doris Day - Day by Night (Full Album) 1957

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have been a "completist" for every singer on this list for many years. I had fun digging up their LPs all over this country, and even made a point to find their singles and 78s. Then came the CDs.

Now we are in the era of at least a dozen variations on nearly every recording, with each one proclaiming "This is the version you need." All are available pretty much only through on-line mail order. Every purchase is recorded, tracked and reported to those who want to know what I am doing. They want to know what makes me tick. They figure that I need their products too.

Maybe they can get some nice reissues released. Mono sessions, please. More of the singles, please. Rare recordings, please

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Man, you're costing me a fortune here! I didn't know about these two reissues, either, so I had to go order them. Saw that there was a 2009 reissue of the Love Me or Leave Me soundtrack, too, so I added that to the order. I have earlier CD editions of all three, but I'm always on the lookout for something that might sound better -- or have bonus tracks.

I do love these Japanese mini-LPs! Even if the sound isn't an improvement over earlier editions, the improved artwork is always nice to have.

Speaking of Doris Day, does anyone have recommendations for a good, comprehensive collection of her 1940s-era recordings? I've got the Complete Doris Day with Les Brown set, plus a few other CDs of miscellaneous 78rpm recordings, but I'd love to find a great-sounding collection that contains most (or all) of her recordings from the pre-LP era. Anyone know of such a thing?

4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I too love these records. I actually like her pop stuff too and have some of that and these 2 records caught me by surprise. A whole other level of craft. People find it hard to believe she did these when I play them.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Get the first box on Bear Family label

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    toilet_doctor and Stu02 like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Let’s not just focus on CDs. Some of us are vinyl fans and surely there is room to accommodate both on this thread

toilet_doctor and Tribute like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is interesting that the classical music world, which has been obsessed with sound quality for many generations, has gone all in for CDs more than ever (or related media like SACD etc). There seems to be little interest in the vinyl replica thing in classical that has taken over jazz and pop. CD box sets are the rage in classical. And used mint classical LPs are almost free in the market.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

BBC TV documentary from 2013

[​IMG]

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Perhaps because in classical, it was never about the record cover.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is a singer who was extremely popular in the World War II years, and sang to inspire troops who were truly at death's door.

11. jazzyvocalfan

jazzyvocalfan Forum Resident

Top Ten - no particular order

1. Carmen McRae
    2. Nancy Wilson
    3. Lee Wiley
    4. Shirley Horn
    5. Billie Holiday
    6. Maxine Sullivan
    7. Anita O'Day
    8. Chris Connor
    9. June Christy
    10. Ethel Waters

12. toilet_doctor

One of 33 and my Top 10 candidate:

[​IMG]

Abbey Lincoln
    (1930 - 2010)

"Abbey, a rare, beautiful soul! In a perfect world she
    would be a top symbol of what humanity is all about.
    "
    (from the comment)

And definitely a superstar - the society was not ready for such an individuality like Abbey Lincoln.

[​IMG]

"Anna Marie Wooldridge, 6 August 1930, Chicago, Illinois, USA. Lincoln began singing publicly in the early 50s, working in Chicago nightclubs and using a variety of pseudonyms, including Anna Marie and Gaby Lee, as well as her real name. By the middle of the decade she was using the name by which she has since been largely known. She appeared successfully at the Moulin Rouge in Los Angeles and also made her first records, with Benny Carter, but was soon associating with bop musicians including Thelonious Monk, Mal Waldron and Max Roach. Her style changed during these years and following her marriage to Roach in 1962 she also became more politically aware. She wrote some of her own material, much of it stressing the rising tide of black consciousness in the USA. She collaborated with Roach on some important works, including We Insist!, Freedom Now Suite and Straight Ahead. In the 60s Lincoln had a simultaneous career as an actress, co-starring in the films Nothing But A Man (1964) and For Love Of Ivy (1968), for both of which she received excellent notices.

Following a tour of Africa in the mid-70s, she adopted the name Aminata Moseka (her marriage to Roach had ended in 1970) and some subsequent albums were released under this name. With a deeply emotional singing voice, she has always made a close connection with her audiences. Her style veers between powerful versions of ballads from her early years and the sometimes bitter polemic of her middle period. By the late 80s her repertoire was once again featuring love songs and more accessible material akin to that of her youth, and her work for Verve Records from the 90s onwards has proved to be an admirable showcase for her suitably mature vocal talents. Nevertheless, it is probable that her politically motivated material will prove to be her most lasting contribution to black American culture."
    (Colin Larkin)

[​IMG]

A girl, jazz singer, rebel soul, avant-gardist, songwriter, actress, "Golden Lady" and black beauty.

[​IMG]

Abbey had a voice like no other, a voice that I can only compare to one thing in nature - Quicksilver.

[​IMG]

ILovethebassclarinet and HDOM like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

New Release

Abbey Lincoln Abbey is Blue + Strait Ahead Jazz Images, Spain 2018 Limited Edition d/p 8437016248423

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Abbey Lincoln's third of three Riverside albums directly precedes her more adventurous work with drummer (and then-husband) Max Roach. With fine backup from trumpeter Kenny Dorhan, pianist Winton Kelly, Les Spann (doubling on guitar and flute), bassist Sam Jones, and drummer Philly Joe Jones) on seven of the ten numbers, and by Roach's regular quintet at the time on the other three selections, Abbey Lincoln is quite emotional and distinctive during a particularly strong set. Highlights include the first vocal version ever of "Afro-Blue," "Come Sunday", Oscar Brown's "Brother, Where Are You", "Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise," "Long as You're Living," and Lincoln's own "Let Up." A very memorable set." (Scott Yanov)

Review
    When I started listening to the sound of the abbey Blue, I found myself unintentionally comparing it (in my mind) with the sound of the first title in Jazz Images' Jean-Pierre Leloir series Anita O'Day Sings the Winners (see Message # 48). So I again put Anita to freshen up my memory. "Abbey Is Blue" surpassed "Anita Sings" with better dynamics and overall clarity of sound. The trebles also did not have those annoying glare. In the album "Straight ahead," the vocal brightness almost disappeared.

To more accurately check the sound quality, I compared "Abbey Is Blue" with the same tracks from the set Abbey Lincoln The Complete 1959-1961, which firmly holds the "best" category.
    A new release was not far behind. Both disc had stunning sound: open, airy, warm, balanced with well presented bass and deep soundstage.
    Especially striking was dynamics. I took my favorite from the album "Strait Ahead" - Left Alone and cranked the volume... I went up and up - no distortions at all. Only slight vocal brightness put this album next to The Complete set.

Both releases come highly recommended.

"Abbey is Blue" (1959)

Let Up (my all time favorite) - Abbey wrote this song

Afro- Blue (her signature song - Abbey was the first performer of this song)
    Afro Blue (Remastered)

Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
    Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise (Remastered)

Brother, Where Are You?
    Brother, Where Are You? (Remastered)

Lonely House
    Lonely House (Remastered)

Avan-gardist
    Max Roach Abbey Lincoln Driva Man 1964
    Max Roach 5tet wt Abbey Lincoln Driva Man 1964 HD

"Straight Ahead" (1961)
    Left Alone
    ABBY LINCOLN - Left Alone

Title track
    Straight Ahead

Blue Monk
    ABBY LINCOLN - Blue Monk

P.S.
    The best value - $10.05 w/free shipping:
    Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue [New CD] Bonus Tracks, Ltd Ed, Rmst, Deluxe Editio | eBay

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is a that photo without the watermark, one of one of my favorites of Abbey Lincoln. The night we met, she was in tears after being severely abused by an audience. A most powerful experience, but she felt some relief meeting a sympathetic listener. So this photo is poignant.

[​IMG]

16. jazzyvocalfan

jazzyvocalfan Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    That’s sad to hear. Can you divulge details such as when and where this incident occurred and what happened? She was definitely an acquired taste for me,but I became a fan. I’m partial to her later recordings, particularly Abbey Sings Billie, A Turtle's Dream, and Abbey Sings Abbey. I'm sorry I never got to attend one of her concerts.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  17. toilet_doctor

The Best Complete Abbey Lincoln sets money can buy, if any.

Abbey Lincoln The Complete 1956-1958 2CD Chant Du Monde, France 2012 3149024218422
    (Precious & Rare Collection series)

"The complete set of Abbey Lincoln´s early recordings consists of three original albums (Abbey Lincoln's Affair; That's Him!; It's Magic) plus songs from singles and soundtracks including five unreleased tracks. The two CDs have been carefully remastered and the 32-page booklet includes some superb comtemporary documents, a text in English and French, as well as a detailed discography. Precious & Rare: a new series from Le Chant du Monde presenting the complete early works by a selection of the very finest jazz vocalists. Artistic Director - Gilles Pétard (Chronological Classics)"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. toilet_doctor

19. toilet_doctor

20. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reviews:

"Great Set
    I found myself tracking down these three albums individually and here they all are under one roof (so to speak). Too bad I didn't find this 2-CD set first. I think her early recordings are vastly underrated, especially when you consider she had Sonny Rollins, Kenny Dorham, Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers backing her on That's Him! She also has an excellent group supporting her on It's Magic, all of the above minus Rollins, but also including Curtis Fuller on Trombone. The songs included in her first album, Affair, were orchestrated by Benny Carter no less. You simply can't go wrong with this music
    !" (amazon.uk; Feb. 2013)

"Real sensuality, power and poise
    A clearly talented vocalist with all of the tools of the jazz trade. Her phrasing is impeccable accompanied by first rate ensembles to include Kenny Dorham, Sonny Rollins, Wynton Kelly, Benny Golson, Philly Joe Jones, Art Farmer... you get it. This is a collection from several different albums. The recording quality is excellent with minimal processing. A real sleeper. Choose your favorite libation, kick back and let Abbey pour over you.
    " (amazon.uk; Nov. 2017)

Discover world of Abbey Lincoln with the sound directly from this set.

Warm Valley

Little Niles
    ABBY LINCOLN - Little Niles

Tender As A Rose (A Capella!)
    Tender As A Rose

Take Me In Your Arms
    Take Me In Your Arms

Ain't Nobody's Business
    Ain't Nobody's Business

It's Magic
    It's Magic

Very interesting version - far from original and at the same time faithful to it - great arrangement and band too.
    Don't Explain

Another one
    My Man

21. toilet_doctor

Second set:
    Abbey Lincoln The Complete 1959-1961 2CD Chant Du Monde, France 2012 3149024204128

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. toilet_doctor

23. toilet_doctor

24. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Review

"This is a more defiant sounding Abbey. Her signature album, Abbey is Blue, is with the same group that was on It's Magic, but with a much stronger edge. She joins Max Roach on We Insist! Freedom Now Suite which plays directly off the Civil Rights movement. Straight Ahead has her teamed up with Mal Waldron, Julian Priester and others in what is probably her most abrasive album, but no less interesting to listen to. This is no longer the "showgirl" from her first album, Affair . She has become a force majeure and the three albums collected in this set best represent her work." (amazon.uk; Feb. 2013)

Both "The Complete Abbey Lincoln sets" are highly recommended Collector's items with a first grade sound quality.

25. toilet_doctor

'Precious & Rare' Collection
    ("The Complete" series by Chant Du Monde, France 2011-2013)

"Precious & Rare' The Deluxe series for all collectors
    Best sounding sources; Newly remastered rare audio material
    32-page booklet; Many unseen contemporary documents
    Detailed liner notes, discography... and more!"

(Chant Du Monde)

"This particular series is NOT readily available in the U.S.
    so I am very glad to shop on Amazon UK for my purchases."

(from the review)

This is not just a Limited Edition, but also restricted for sale in US.
    'Precious & Rare' - the name tells it all.

Ernestine Anderson The Complete 1947-1958
    Betty Carter The Complete 1948-1961
    Ethel Ennis The Complete 1955-1958
    Aretha Franklin The Complete 1956-1962
    Etta Jones The Complete 1944-1960
    Abbey Lincoln The Complete 1956-1958
    Abbey Lincoln The Complete 1959-1961
    Carmen McRae The Complete 1946-1955
    Betty Roche The Complete 1941-1961
    Nina Simone The Complete 1955-1959
    Nina Simone The Complete 1960-1961
    Dakota Staton The Complete 1954-1958