From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 6, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Aretha was a very emotional singer. Dinah was her idol. All this sorrow and the pain of an absolutely unnecessary death she put in this tribute. The wounds were too fresh and open. This explained and justified her emotions and loss of control in some places. They knew each other, Dinah and her father were good friends.

Dinah's death shocked every singer and forced them to reconsider a lot of things in their life.
    I know, you like Brenda Lee. After this accidental death, Brenda completely emerged herself into the Dinah singing, and began to sing in her style as a tribute to her and included some Dinah's songs in her own albums. It's a pity, she didn't record the full tribute album.

I have Sony 2011 release with a new remaster in Mini LP (not Japanese), and it's my favorite Aretha Franklin album:

Review
    "Two great vocalists
    This beautiful album released in 1964 shortly after Washington's death Is Aretha's sixth studio album. It is in no way an imitation of the great singer's voice, they are very different singers, but a tribute to Washington's soulful side. Who better to capture this than the queen of soul herself. She captures the irreverent and blues driven ballad Evil Gal Blues perfectly somehow making it her own and still honoring Washington for whom it was a signature. Johnny Mercer's Drinking Again, another Washington favorite is given a beautiful intensity hear. She takes on two notable standards What a Diff'rence a Day Made and Unforgettable are performed with a distinct soul flavor, just as Dinah gave them, but still unique. If you are either an Aretha fan or a Washington fan this album is a must have
    ." (Aug. 17, 2014)

[​IMG]

Unforgettable and immortal classics:
    Dinah

Aritha
    Aretha Franklin - Nobody Knows The Way I Feel This Morning.wmv

Brand New Me w/ Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, 2017
    Let It Be (with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you, very interesting to know that. Well before RESPECT, so I can imagine teenagers like I was in 1964 would not have heard of it. My copy of the album is from a blues box set of albums by everyone from Bessie Smith to Buddy Guy.

As for Brenda "It's a pity, she didn't record the full tribute album.". Indeed!

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. toilet_doctor

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. toilet_doctor

Another great album from The Great Jazz and Pop Vocal Albums list by Will Friedwald (Post #48, Page 2)

Position 11. Billie Holiday Lady in Satin

"Do you want to hear the human soul?"

"I had an older CD version of some of her 'best'.
    It is nothing compared to this and now
    I understand what I've been missing."

(from reviews)

Review
    "Phenomenal, comprehensive presentation of one of Billie holiday's greatest recordings, with rare additional tracks.
    One of Billie Holiday's most seminal (and still somewhat controversial) albums, with all of the session material now available for the first time. Heartfelt thanks to Sony Music for making this meticulously-produced treasure trove a dream come true for Lady Day's countless legion of fans
    ."
    (January 14, 2016)

Billie is my favorite jazz singer and I had many versions of this album, but nothing sounded as good as:
    Billie Holiday Lady in Satin Centennial Edition 3CD Columbia, Legacy/Sony 2015 888750828224

I will remember this surprising name to the rest of my life Maria Triana (Battery Studios, NY)
    I was amazed to read this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    mwheelerk likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a Fool to Want You

Needless to say, how happy I was to see my favorite Billie song as a bonus track:
    Fine and Mellow

Thanks to everyone who worked on this release, and showed his love for Billie.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nice post, but I think it is far more accurate to say that Sam Cooke was Aretha's idol. He was a frequent visitor and guest in her family home since she was 8 years old and was her inspiration to become a professional singer.

7. toilet_doctor

Recorded, Remastered and Made in France

"Particular care was taken when restoring the
    sound
    of these tapes to meet CD standards while
    preserving
    the original colors of period"

(Patrick Fremeaux and Gilles Petard)

Thank you for pointing out. I missed it in the first place, but bought it now, and I see what a good job the guys from Fremeaux & Associates made to this 3CD set on remastering and restoration of sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some sound samplers:

Angel Eyes 1957 (from disc 1)

Lil' Darlin' 1961 (from Disc 2) (great and rare version)
    Ella Fitzgerald - Lil' Darlin' (Live Feb. 28, 1961)

Am I Blue / Baby Won't You Please Come Home (1961) (from Disc 2)
    Ella Fitzgerald - Am I Blue / Baby Won't You Please Come Home (Live Mar. 11, 1961)

'Round Midnight 1961 (from Disc 3) [Watch out at 2:36...]
    Ella Fitzgerald - Round Midnight (Live Mar. 11, 1961)

Straighten Up and Fly Right (1961) (from Disc 3)
    "Straighten Up and Fly Right" - Ella Fitzgerald Live-in-Paris

Maybe some of the versions from the first CD I do not like, but the CD2 and 3 are gorgeous - recommended.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Ridin'High likes this.
  8. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

It really is a lovely set, and quite a treasure trove for Ella fans, with many songs only available elsewhere in live performances in the Twelve Nights in Hollywood set, so it's nice to have alternate versions here. Someone on Amazon is complaining about the awful sound, I notice. I have no idea what planet he's on given that these are most likely to derive from radio recordings that have been sitting gathering dust for years. Straighten Up is a bit of a mess from the point of the view of the performance, but it's still fun.

There are other sets in the same series covering the likes of JATP, Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and a single disc of Sinatra (a different concert than one on the Reprise Live in Paris, I understand). I have some, but not others (yet), but the sound is very good on all the ones I have.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The music world, unfortunately, is full of complainers.

Read on this forum about the people who return as many as three or four copies of a $50-$75 vinyl LP because they detect some artifact sound or other issue common in vinyl pressings. And people wonder why those LPs cost $50-$75 each.

cypert2, .crystalised. and shanebrown like this.
  10. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I should perhaps have added that the JATP volume in the series includes some of the instrumental material from the same dates as two of the Ella concerts: 23/4/58 and 23/2/60. If you feel so inclined, you can piece together most of the evening's entertainment!

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My favorite Fremeaux CD issues are those series dedicated to Mahalia Jackson and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. I collect all of those.

I also have a variety dedicated to great French Chanson singers.

I never bought the Louis Armstrong or Django sets, but wish I had them all.

Fremeaux does things that no other company does. Why complain?

12. toilet_doctor

I'm not sure whether she fits into one of our threads, but everyone should hear this:

Summertime/Motherless Child
    (probably the best version ever recorded)

Tribute and Fender Relic like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

- in tribute -

Yes, well before the Respect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[But] Today I Sing the Blues

Today I Sing The Blues - Aretha Franklin (1960) (HD Quality)
    1964 Live
    Aretha Franklin - Evil Gal Blues (HQ) (Live 1964).flv
    Aretha FRANKLIN - "Muddy Water" (LIVE/1965)
    Aretha Franklin - The Thrill Is Gone
    80's
    Aretha FRANKLIN- "Trouble In Mind" (BLUES version/Live TV show 80's)

P.S.
    1970 - Aretha in Nefertiti dress having fun with Tom Jones in R&B w/touch of Funk numbers (new video):
    Tom Jones Aretha Franklin Medley 1970 HDHQ

1975 - Aretha showed stunning look and ability to turn any song in her own way:
    Aretha FRANKLIN - "MacArthur Park" (1975/Los Angeles)

Eric Carlson and oldjollymon like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have always considered that to be one of the greatest recordings ever made, by anyone

15. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Anyone know how these sound?

thanks

16. toilet_doctor

This is the best sound you can get. If you only still can... Great remastering from Original Master Tape.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The discs and the books are very nice and some include rarities.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope that there is renewed interst in the various threads on vocalists. Thanks for all your posts.

19. toilet_doctor

Jeri Southern's Complete Recordings Reissue in 2 Box Sets

The Warm Singing Style Of Jeri Southern The Complete Roulette & Capitol Recordings 1957-1959 3CD box set d/p 8427328608336

"This 3-CD set contains all recordings by Jeri Southern that the Roulette and Capitol labels released on albums and singles between 1957-1959. Also includes a 40-page booklet including biography, rare photos, and complete discography (matrix & catalog numbers, personnel, location and recording date).

All tracks in this collection appear in chronological order of recording. A total of 65 songs performed in Jeri's warm and inimitable singing style. As a bonus, the set also includes four bonus tracks recorded by the singer during two of her appearances in the TV show Stars of Jazz
    ."

The Warm Singing Style Of Jeri Southern The Complete Decca Years 1951-1957 5CD box set d/p 8427328607957

"40-page booklet including biography, rare photos, and complete discography (matrix & catalog numbers, personnel, location and recording date). All tracks in this 5-CD set appear in chronological order of recording. This collection contains 112 songs. 72 of them from the Decca albums, and 40 were issued only as singles which, for the most part, had been previously unissued on CD."

Fresh Sound released these boxes in 2013 and 2014, but they went out of print. And now they managed to reissue them again.
    So we have 8CDs, 12 albums + 40 singles totaling 177 songs in 5 Didigipaks for $70 ($40+$30 retail) - about $9 per disc. This is a very nice price, I'd say.

I just received my copies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(5 photos per post)

Eric Carlson and bluemooze like this.
  20. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  21. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Ridin'High and Eric Carlson like this.
  22. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on both sets! I've found three of her LPs recently in thrift shops and I particularly love The Southern Style and had You Better Go Now on the turntable for a couple of days earlier in the week. Now if I could just figure out where I put the other one.

This is indeed a bargain.

23. toilet_doctor

24. toilet_doctor

jazzyvocalfan likes this.
  25. toilet_doctor

However, again, I strongly recommend for the best sound quality to find Warner Japanese SHM release of her Roulette album:

Jeri Southern Meets Johnny Smith SHM-CD Warner 2017 (new Parlophone remaster)

(translation)
    "Meets Johnny Smith [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Jeri Southern
    [Jazz Masters' Collection 1200] 1200 yen for the first rare board such as Roulette, Roost, Jubilee, Colpix etc. added to the prestigious Atlantic, Warner Brothers label etc, 1200 yen, SHM-CD. The ninth volume of a popular series released in the SHM-CD specification! A beautiful singer known for a cool style sings back to the back of a regular band led by the guitar leader belonging to the same label, full of vigor. <Personnel> Jerry Southern (vo), Johnny Smith (g), Bob Pancoast (p, celeste), George Romani (b), Mauzi Alexander (ds) ● New mastering ● Recording: May 19, 22, 1958 New York."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the tiny picture of the album cover on the spine - a nice touch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reviews:
    "5*Jeri's jumping with many great tunes.
    Jeri Southern is a great jazz and pop artist. She sings for the song. I love the tune, "Shake Down The Stars." It is my favorite tune on the album. She may be gone but her CD's and albums will always be around. Her fans such as I am will take great joy in hearing her CDs and albums again and again
    ."
    (November 7, 2016)

"5* Sultry singer meets technical master.
    This album is one of my all-time favorites. I have it on vinyl and am anxiously awaiting the CD I ordered.
    Johnny Smith is very understated here - but still distinctive. In his style, he does what it takes to make the song perfect. In most cases this means laying back and letting Jeri take the front.
    But occasionally there comes a perfect place for Johnny to step out. His solos are clean, efficient and reflect the mood perfectly. He is the consummate musician.
    This album is a rare chance to hear Johnny with a singer. And she's so sweet sounding! This album is a treasure
    ."
    (January 15, 2004)

Yes, indeed: "Music, Maestro Please"!

jeri southern (with johnny smith)/isn't it romantic?

Ungrateful Heart

Two Sleepy People

I'd say, they are much stronger together than separately.

.crystalised. and Ridin'High like this.