From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 6, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

P.S.

[​IMG]

"Parlophone Records is a British music label, founded as the English counterpart of german label Parlophon, part of Carl Lindstrom Company. In 1927 Carl Lindstrom were sold to Columbia Gramophone, and then, in 1931 formed EMI. In 2012, EMI sold Parlophone to Warner Music Group. Parlophone is one of the most famous labels since the 1960's, when The Beatles started publishing their LP's on their label."

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many of the rare singles in those sets of CDs were transferred from my personal copies. I did not do the transfers, and have no credits in the set. That was OK with me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Stu02, David G. and toilet_doctor like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You shouldn't have waited 5 years! But it is great that you got them.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. toilet_doctor

I wish, you would use your sell phone (not even need a digital camera) to take some pictures of your rare stuff, and then send them by e-mail to your computer and post them in a thread.

5. toilet_doctor

At least, now I cut a great deal: $(25 + 35) + one more twofer for 10 bucks (I will tell in another thread) + free shipping.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't have a cell phone that can take pictures. But if we both sit on our rocking chairs and concentrate, maybe we can communicate through telepathy. We can start by both thinking about beautiful young women just to practice. Then we can switch to record covers.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  7. toilet_doctor

You need my rocking chair for that (on a left) - easier to get some digital camera.

8. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the several messages of interest, Toilet Doctor. I hope to also contribute to these jazz-pop female singers threads soon (now that I finally can make the time).

In any case, I have a personal reason to reply to this particular message. In my CD collection, there are two items that have damaged or defective booklets. One of them is Jeri's Complete Capitol & Roulette Recordings, 1957-1959.

In my copy of that CD set's booklet, the following pages are blank:

page 6
    page 35

I wanted to ask you a favor: could you check these pages in your booklet? ... If they are not blank, could you post pictures of them here?

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Interesting. There must be a story there. How did you connect with them.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A friend did the contacts and the transfers. He also initiated it. I did the collecting through the years.

Stu02 and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

About reissue labels: I have been disappointed in the Sepia label in recent years. For awhile, they were doing great work in reissuing rare "jazz/classic pop" vocalists. But that has fallen to a mere trickle as they have concentrated much more on Broadway and (I hate the word) "Easy Listening". What a loss.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My first cell phone was this model. It had great reception within 15 feet. I had to get a new one when my wife (that's her on the right) tossed it out in the recycling. The new one does not sound as good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. toilet_doctor

Pages 6 and 35 are fine. I will post them soon.

Looking forwards to hear from you, Ridin'High.

Ridin'High likes this.
  14. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ridin'High likes this.
  15. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very much appreciated, Toilet Doctor.

I will photocopy both pages, so that I can incorporate them to my Jeri set.

Thanks to you, now I can truly feel that I own Fresh Sound's complete Complete Jeri Sothern on Capitol and Roulette.

Well, I am going to take advantage of this opportunity to ask you for a second (and final) favor.

To repeat what I said before, there were two items in my CD collection that have damaged or defective booklets. Now there is only one. It's this Carmen McRae set, on the label Le Chante Du Monde:

[​IMG]

In this case, my booklet was heavily damaged by water. I was carrying it in a backpack when it started raining, and it got wet. All I could do was sing the blues:

Thank you, Peggy Lee and the Les Paul Trio, for letting me sing along with you, in my "hour of need."

Many of the wet pages got stuck together. I tried to separate a couple, using great care and going very slowly. That was a failure. They are ruined.

The paper quality of all the Le Chante Du Monde booklets is visually lovely (glossy, bright, clear) but quite fragile, it seems.

Toilet Doctor, when you have some time (no hurry at all, of course), would it be possible for you to post images of some of the pages? The pages that I do not need are 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 28, and 29. Those 10 pages are still fine in my booklet.

But all the other pages, from #2 to #33, are ruined. (I realize that this would be a lot of pages to photocopy. If it is too much, I would still be happy to have photocopies of a few pages of your choice.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have a "water damage" story to tell.

Years back, while visiting another city, I bought a Bear Family box set with the big LP size book, in this case a soft cover book. I decided to sit on some steps on a foot-bridge crossing an industrial canal to eat my lunch and read the book. As I reached for my drink, the book slipped away, between the steps, and fell into the canal. I totally freaked out, as I saw the book floating. Suddenly, I realized there might be a chance to save it. I ran into an adjacent building, opened a janitor's closet and grabbed a mop. I ran back and saw it still floating (the canal was not flowing as a lock was closed). I climbed down into the lower structure of the bridge and holding on with one hand tried to pull the book back. I had to move again and try again. Just as I succeeded in reaching the book and pulling it up with the mop, the police came. Someone reported a suicide attempt. With all the commotion, the people who were in the meeting I was supposed to attend came out of the building to see me being questioned by the police. The police decided I was nuts, but not insane, and left. The people in the meeting already knew I was crazy, so we all had a good laugh. The book dried out with the help of all of the paper towels in the men's room.

Someday, someone else will get that box set, be very upset about the crinkled book, but never know the back story.

Oh, all the pages separated fine and are quite legible.

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed that story. I mean i was right there with you. I actually became quite tense. Will the book be saved. Or no? The tension built. I mean I realised i was being redicilous but I understood the value in the book.
    I think perhaps our valuation scale is in need of repair...

.crystalised. likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My theory is that if you are obsessed with your stuff outlasting you, you got your priorities screwed up.

19. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I really only consider myself a caretaker for most of my posessions. I sincerely hope they outlast me.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I often said that about the types of music formats that we know degrade over time (tape, CDRs, digital hard drives). I am one of those people that collected many rare, even one-of-a-kind recordings in these formats over many decades. Many collectors were extremely anxious about that degradation and spent a lot of energy worrying about whether those tapes and CDRs, etc will degrade before they do (which will certainly happen). I say, don't worry. I hope I last longer than a reel of tape or a CDR

I was a writer for my career, though it was not fiction. Even though I thought it was pretty good stuff, one day I tossed all of it, boxes and boxes, in the garbage. I outlasted that stuff.

21. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Since I have, mostly, cds, I expect my entire music collection to outlast me.

22. toilet_doctor

I will do it with pleasure for you, Ridin'High. Because I like you, not to mention your nice posts, but simply put: you are a good man.
    Today is likely to be the best opportunity to do it, since this morning in Chicago it was -22°F, and I took the day off (although, sunny with a wind chill -49°F, which is -45°C).
    Unfortunately, while in my sleep, I missed the historical moment when Fahrenheit and Celsius met each other at (-40°F = -40°C). Nevertheless, I can see clearly now: Global Warming is a reality.

Ridin'High likes this.
  23. toilet_doctor

As for the images, in general, we must first upload them to another site in order to post them on the forum.
    I have used flickr.com since it is free, but recently they warned me that only 1000 photos are free and I already have 1100 photos. Therefore, I began to delete some of them (I cut out about 300 pictures), but I did not realize that they were also removed from the forum.
    Now my posts look very ugly. Some of them do not even make any sense ... even in this thread.
    I have to think how to fix my posts and how to proceed in a future...
    I was happy with flickr, as they give the opportunity to organize the pictures in the albums. And I did this by adding new releases to each artist's album.

Speaking of Carmen McRae booklet images, here they are (they belong to this thread anyway):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ridin'High likes this.
  24. toilet_doctor

25. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would appreciate it, Ridin'High, if you comment on Carmen McRae and her albums. We did not talk about her much (if any).

Ridin'High and florandia like this.