From ' Don't Bother Me ' To ' Something ' -- George Harrison As A Songwriter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Not at 1966-era tax rates, they aren't. Sir Paul pays a much lower percentage than he did in '66.

Big Blue likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..not a great song but it's one of those songs that works pretty well (for me)because it's THEM doing it. There are a few Lennon/McCartney songs that fall in the same category. The charisma they had as a group somehow tended to permeate their recordings and they naturally made an OK song pretty good or "charming" (I know haters of Maxwell will say much to the contrary)

2141 and Keith V like this.
  3. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Also:

The added sixth chord in She Loves You
    The "Ah, look at all the lonely people" line in Eleanor Rigby
    Some lines in Come Together (he's not said specifically which ones)
    He helped piece together bits of John's songs like She Said She Said and Don't Let Me Down
    And of course various riffs, fills, etc.

He's said he was there during the creation of I Feel Fine, but again was vague. For all his moaning he didn't say much about what he never got credit for unless pushed which is interesting to me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    2141, vonwegen, Tord and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

He is an A-scale artist - right there with Lennon and McCartney, just a bit later (he was also a bit younger).

In my opinion, all artists have a peak period/era. With The Beatles, John peaked first (63-67) then Paul (65-69) and then George (68-71). Pick almost any artist and you'll probably find a handful of years you thought they were at their best/cutting edge/innovative. Sure, there are exceptions that come before or after, but the bulk is during the peak years.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My favorite songs are all about relationships. Never care for topical songs, whether I agree with them or not

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What other early Beatles songs read like a series of not funny jokes?

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

My favorite lyrics are not about any particular topic, but they address whatever that topic may be in an interesting way. Lorenz Hart and Leonard Cohen wrote excellent relationship songs. The Beatles' relationship lyrics are, to me, juvenile and amateurish.

8. bewareofchairs

Did you not see which bit I highlighted? Regardless, there's a whole lotta misogyny in lyrics which are meant to be construed as cheeky.

I don't find John's attempts to take the piss out of fans particularly funny either.

9. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I don't know about Blue Jay Way and Piggies, sir. I think people try to claim George wrote It Don't Come Easy because it's a hit. George got a credit for co-writing Photograph (a #1 hit). And there's a story that George helped Ringo write Octopus' Garden. So...

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nothing deep its true. Basic catchy pop song stuff. I like it.

Taxman is just dumb and annoying. Barely even reads like a song. But that's fine, I tune out the words and focus on the guitar and bass. It's a nice showcase for Paul.

internetcurmudgeon and bpmd1962 like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He didn't get a credit for OG

12. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I edited my post. I forgot about that. But you replied it before I hit the Save button. :D

Rfreeman likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I understand now. Yeah in general their attempts at humor in song fall flat for me.

But I think something like She Loves You is a great lyric. Tells a full story everyone can relate to in very few words.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  14. ShockControl

Well that explains it. I outgrew catchy pop tunes decades ago.

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I agree. And I think Octopus’s Garden is the most Beatley song on Abbey Road.

DK Pete likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I outgrew a lot of songs that try to be significant about the same time. There was a phase as a teen when I thought topical songs were better.

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree on it's "Beatleness". I feel the same way about Come Together and I Want You.

Keith V likes this.
  18. bewareofchairs

Agree with you there. I think it works with She Loves You. All My Loving is ok too.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The story is even better when sung in German... ;)

joy stinson and DK Pete like this.
  20. ShockControl

You didn't bother reading my previous post, apparently.

21. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

yes a thousand times yes

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Didn't connect them as being from the same person.

Yes Leonard Cohen wrote better lyrics than Lennon/McCartney. But I am hard pressed to think of any Harrison lyric I prefer to Lennon/McCartney.

Among Beatles songs only Something and Here Comea The Sun are about on their level. He wrote a lot of pretty painful ones trying to be deep though.

joy stinson likes this.
  23. ShockControl

My point was that to me the subject or topic isn't what makes a good lyric - it is how the subject is handled. I don't like "Taxman" more than "Love Me Do" because the former is a "topical" song: I like it more because "Taxman" handles its topic better "Love Me Do" handles its topic.

stevenson66g and Big Blue like this.
  24. ShockControl

I love "Don't Bother Me." George then wrote a couple of duds, but I love literally every song of his from Rubber Soul through Abbey Road. I don't care for his two Let it Be songs, though.

joy stinson, Swamiji and stevenson66g like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

And while I don't care for topical songs, and particularly dislike the topic of this song - that is just a matter of personal taste and my critique of the Taxman lyric has nothing to do with the topic.

My critique is that it is a bunch of not funny attempts at humor thrown together pretty randomly. Apart from their couple "one line of repeated lyrics" tunes, I would say this is The Beatles weakest lyrical effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.