MFSL From Elvis In Memphis LP - Sound Quality?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shawn, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Senior Member Thread Starter

After doing a search, I found an archived thread asking about the sound quality on the MFSL LP, "From Elvis In Memphis". Unfortunately, there were no answers. As I have the opportunity to obtain a copy, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the sound, and whether it's an improvement over the "Suspicious Minds" CD tracks that are shared between each title.

I also read that there are many defective copies of this LP; if so, is there a way to identify those that are defective without playing them? Or is giving them a listen the only way?

Thanks in advance to any replies :righton:

2. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Stay away from the MFSL LP, it's artifically boosted in the bass and treble and sounds very unnatural. The U.S. LP is still the best source (until Sony BMG gives us a DSD upgrade of the original album). Both the 60's box set and "Suspicious Minds" anthology are far away from the original sound, having been subjected to heavy digital processing and noise reduction. A couple of the 1969 tracks have since been issued in very good sound quality on a number of DSD mastered compilations.

3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The 60s box set (issued circa 1993) sounds quite good imo. I'm hearing tape hiss on this one.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't like it that much. Sounds like a stereotypical "bad" MFSL from the old days. The 180G reissue is good - I think it's from "Speakers Corner".

5. Shawn

Thanks everyone, you all saved me from spending $35 on the MFSL! Now to find a nice/clean RCA original vinyl pressing...

6. kkchome

kkchome Forum Resident

I've got the Speakers Corner and love it. Listened to it the night before last.

7. Shawn

Ok, a couple of recommendations for the 180G release. Is this version remixed in any way? Also, how does it imrove the sound as compared to a 1969 RCA first pressing?

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I've seen in previous posts here that the 2000 remaster (with bonus tracks) CD of "From Elvis in Memphis" -- which is the only version I own -- doesn't comparatively sound very good, despite the fact that it was remastered by the usually highly-regarded Ernst Mikael Jorgensen (along with Roger Semon).

So I'm wondering, how's the sound on the MFSL vinyl pressing?

Thanks.

9. Shawn

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Thanks Shawn.

Hey, I'll trade ya a NM MFSL pressing for it! :laugh: :laugh:

11. Shawn

Thanks for the offer, but this one is a keeper :D Keep your eyes on eBay though - some first pressings have been on there lately in nice shape... and if you go for one missing the bonus photo, you can save some $.

I also ordered the 180g vinyl as I've heard positive things about it... as soon as it arrives, I'll post my thoughts.

Ultimately, I'd like to compile a personal CDR using the "best" versions of these tracks taken from the first RCA vinyl pressing, the 180g and those tracks available on the various Elvis DSD CD releases.

Now to figure out how to do a good needle drop...

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I ran across a MFSL pressing today for $40 in a local shop but passed on it. I'm kinda glad I did, after reading this thread.

13. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Agreed, the Speakers Corner version sounds good. Still available new here

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I finally spun this tonight...owned it for months...anyway...sounds very good to these ears.... :righton:

15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

This is one album, that IMHO, has never been remastered right. I just got a Japanese CD edition and it wasnt good either.

16. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I've been enjoying my recently purchased Speakers Corner version of this, its primo...and I've got a really nice Needledrop of an original mint stereo pressing and prefer that but by just a hair..

Question, I know there are mono copies of this out there...Curious how these sound mixwise. Is this a dedicated mix if so I'm assuming it packs quite a punch...thoughts on the mono mix...

17. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Who mastered the Speakers Corner version?

18. DJ WILBUR

Mastered by Willem Makkee@EBS, Hannover

19. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Cool. Thanks.

20. Shawn

Never heard/seen a mono version... do you have a catalog #?

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Same catalog # as the stereo, but with an LPM prefix.

22. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

I have the MFSL and the original US pressing. I prefer the MFSL.

gustercc likes this.
  23. DJ WILBUR

Have you by chance heard the mono mix on this title? ..anyone?

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Most likely a foldie.

25. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Shawn, IMO the Speakers Corner LP is as good as it gets and with very nice quiet vinyl too. Gotta be better than that dynaflex crap they used for the domestic issues.

The Speakers Corner is NOT a remix by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.