FS/BIN: Genesis Abacab Japan CD $6.48

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by SimonSaysCake, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. I'm burning a comparison CD right now. Will let you know in 10 minutes.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Mama - I actually like mine more. Yours sounds a bit like a remaster to me, with louder levels and more bass. Yes it's more open, but to me that strength is overpowered by the pumped up sound, at least on my system.

Abacab - Very little difference, if any. They both sound great.

3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

It's not compressed, I hear a huge difference over here. Food for thought:

The V/C's actually have two level shifted versions, and mine is the louder one.:D

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think I have every version except the V/C for this one. Two Atlantics (the RE prefix is the same as the non-RE), the target, a V/C from Argentina(!) but it doesn't have the Nimbus or Swindon disc. :(

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I am in the process of uploading the samples of mine that I compared yours to, in case you (or others) care to compare them.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

You mean Mama, right? I didn't mean to say that it was compressed, I just meant that it has some of the qualities that I don't like about remasters. I also don't mean to imply that it is a remaster, only that it shares some qualities of a remaster.

In both cases?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Which one do you like best?

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Don't know really. I'm loading them in to do a comparison right now.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The V/C from Argentina(!) is the best. Don't know how this compares to other V/C CDs. This one is very good though. About 3dB louder than my US CD. Might be the same mastering as the V/C LesPaul has.

The US CD sounds slightly muffled even though I played it first. There's a midrange boost that makes it sound closed in. Good but not the best choice here.

The Target is crap. Waaaay too bright. Sounds like Dolby C without decoding... bright and compressed. Frisbee. Coaster. Waste of plastic. Crap.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Just saved me some money on that Target. Thanks! :righton:

12. LesPaul666

This is for Genesis S/T, right? It may be the same mastering, used in South America.:D:laugh:

George,
    The Abacab, as far as I know doesn't have a level shifted version. The S/T has 2(I believe), one averages like 60% on EAC, and mine is 90 to 100% output level, though they are the same mastering. Not sure which is the original.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Try downloading my sample and see if you hear a difference between yours and mine. They sound very close, too close to call in fact.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes. S/T album.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you guys noticed how much better the fidelity of That's All is after Mama? Or is Mama just worse than the rest of the album? I noticed this today when I used this CD to audition some speakers.

16. LesPaul666

My rule of thumb:

Every Genesis Target has a U.S. or Japan for U.S. counterpart that's the same mastering(And Then There Were Three, Genesis s/t, and Abacab), and were remastered for the V/C's(the best imho) for Europe in the mid-late 1980's, but *not the U.S.*

Jeff Carney had mentioned that the Japan 4 U.S. Sanyo Wind & Wuthering Atlantic was an exception, and supposedly very good. and much different than the U.S. press.

17. LesPaul666

I can hear the difference, especially in the mids and high end. Both of the V/C's in this case are clearer to me in these respects, and the treble is much more focused in the 'air' dept. Maybe I'm hearing things.:D :laugh:

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Or i have the benefit of a less revealing system. :)

19. LesPaul666

Are you listening with the HD580's? If not, try them, and switch back and forth between the clips, if you can.

20. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I've been through the US Atlantic, the WG Target and WG red swirl of s/t and always wondered what the V/C sounded like - now I know. The US CD isn't bad but the V/C is more ballsy, with better bass, better definition and more power on the drums. Doh, there's another Genesis V/C I need now...

Thanks for posting these clips guys and I agree with the comments on the WG Target - it's WAAAY too bright (the red swirl being the same mastering).

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, originally I had compared on both my speakers and my HD580's. They sounded similar on the HD's too.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Who did the remaster of the V/C of S/T and Abacab? The two clips you posted were remasters, right?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I'm surprised that you prefer the V/C.

24. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

For ABACAB, what about the blue swirl WG Vertigo? I found this in the bins just about a week ago for 6 bucks to replace my US Atlantic. I did a quick comparison through my headphones and didn't notice a difference...

25. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I don't think any Genesis V/C's could qualify as "remasters" - they're way too early, dating from around the mid or late 80's I believe. Thus they exhibit no nasties like compression or whacky EQ.

The first true Genesis remasters were the DE's from '94.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.