FS Ebay Jethro Tull Aqualung DCC 24K Gold CD

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Horace Wimp, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

Originally Posted by musicalbeds
    Why?

There's people that take the time and search for stuff, and then they watch it, hoping for a good price.
    Someone coming along and posting it for people who aren't doing the work themselves just steps on those hard-working folks who are watching it.

Why would you wanna do that?

Posting a BIN makes sense because as soon as they're seen, they can be bought. So technically, you're not stepping on anyone's toes because no one who's working hard to find them has seen it, or they would have bought it.

Sure, by posting at BIN you're doing the work for someone else and possibly stepping on the toes of someone who "might have" found it and bought it...but it sure isn't the same ballpark as stepping on the toes of someone who's actually found it, and watching it.

I hope that clarifys things...I find it difficult to believe you don't see it that way.

It all comes down to...what do you hope to accomplish by posting a link here?

I say, we do it make someone here happy, give them a good deal. That's kind and noble.

But to help someone at someone else's expense who's watching it...that seems counterproductive...especially since, there can ONLY be one winner of the auction, but there can be lots of people watching getting pissed off.

It's simple math.

Hence BIN's being the only links that should be posted here, unless the seller is posting a link to his auctions.

YMMV, but if so, you're a fan of pleasing one person who isn't searching for something actively, while pissing off multiple people who are trying to help themselves....and there's no logic in that.

:blah: :D

2. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Hmm ... what if I want to help a non-member seller who's provided nice service to me in the past? On what grounds do you want to forbid me to do so?

:wave:

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:biglaugh: You just made me waste some fine ale in a spit-take. :wave:

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

5. Does posting a link to an ebay auction violate some forum rule? Or does it simply annoy some people because then they don't have the (perceived) upper hand in an auction they're bidding on?

And how much is really being divulged by posting a link to a DCC auction? I mean, all you have to do is type "DCC" in the search box under CDs and you get about 86 listings. There's no secret to it. I scroll through them all in about two minutes.

Now finding the elusive 35DP-4 -- that may take three minutes!

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

No and yes! :winkgrin:

7. shokhead

:edthumbs:

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

1015 hits on this thread as of now. Maybe we can get this over to L&W threads if we can get more contributions. ;)

9. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

I'm ignoring this thread. :righton:

10. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Now see, that train of thought never occured to me...thanks for sharing it. To me it is cut-throat..but not against fellow forum members when possible. So I couldn't understand your point of view at all, until now. While I feel differently, I can see why you feel the way you do...and all or nothing, as you say later, makes sense.

I respect a man who knows his limitations and resorts to smilies when he has nothing intelligent to retort...good job!

I think reading this thread from the beginning will answer that question.

I can understand the "all or nothing" idea, even though I think BIN auctions are ok. Still, I'd rather none than all if we aren't going to agree on just BIN's.

That is, none but what a seller here wants to link us to, as was the case with this thread...that should continue.

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

What if there's nobody watching it?

Tim

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Simple question Rick. Which would you rather pay for a MINT 35DP-4?
    A/ $10
    B/ $100
    C/ $1000
    D/ $10,000

The anwer is if you post it THE PRICE RISES. You say "probably rises" and thats ok. But,there is a correlation. The last 2 examples are This Aqualung going for double its normal price and a certain DSOTM which went for $500+ when it should have been $150 tops.

This forum is the Beehive, the central hub of a lot of these discussions and activity with rare Cds-put a note of an auction up here and it will attract a lot more bidders. Lot more bidders = higher prices.

Great if you are selling but not great if you are buying.

13. The Great One

:rolleyes: I used the smilies as I was staying away from what you would deem to be 'Hard Work' i.e pressing some keys on a keyboard. :thumbsup:

14. musicalbeds

As I said before, I respect a person who knows his limitations....

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The question is: 1) Who or what decides "the normal price"? It's funny (or not!) that a certain DSOTM sold for nearly the same price (same pressing) without being posted here. Also, 2) Since it wasn't posted here, why double the "normal price"? I don't watch DCC "Aqualungs", so I don't know the "normal price". Someone tried to sell one here, however, for less money and no one bought it. There are many factors that can drive up the price on ebay, and this site might not be the reason. I remember starting a thread a couple years ago asking that very question though because it seemed that prices were rising on certain CDs mentioned on this site. I wondered if this site was possibly the reason, and I think it is at times, but also the adrenaline rush of ebay and winning can also drive the price up.

99% of the ebay posts on here are posted for there outlandish prices and for the "my god!" factor. And 99% of the ones I see, I take a look just to see if it's something I might be interested in, but usually am not interested. I think prices go up on these CDs for a variety of reasons. I think it's too simplistic to say that this site is the only reason. Whatever the decision of the Admins of this site I can obviosuly live with it. It's fun to watch certain auctions though, just to see the outcome.

Great if you are selling but not great if you are buying.[/QUOTE]

16. The Great One

:yawn: now you're just being silly and I think it's best if I ignore your 'misplaced' considerations

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Rick, I agree there are also other factors..but I fear the forum is one of the biggest. Ya still didn't answer my question:D

Which would you rather pay for a MINT 35DP-4?
    A/ $10
    B/ $100
    C/ $1000
    D/ $10,000

18. musicalbeds

I'm being silly? You can't even specify what you're talking about.

"Misplaced considerations"?

Your posts don't add to the debate do they? You've made a couple now that are personal attacks....nothing more. And then you call me silly for retaliating in kind.

If you can't take the heat...don't play with fire.

19. musicalbeds

:agree:

20. shokhead

:righton:

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Disc has been sold, congrats to the seller!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.