FS: PINK FLOYD THE WALL 50DP BIN

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Radiotron, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It does sound great. I am going to try to pick up a cheap copy of the 48DP and compare them. I have read that they are the same mastering. Does anyone know for sure?

2. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

they are the same mastering. you can tell becasue there is a little pop in the start of comfortably numb. I think it is confortably numb, almost positive.

3. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

According to this page, they are the same mastering.

4. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Every CD release on CBS/Columbia/Sony in all parts of the world(excluding Europe, of course) before it was remastered, are digtally identical.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't have too many early US pressings, so I don't know if this is true. Maybe it's true if you limit the labels on both sides of the Pacific Ocean to CBS/Sony/Columbia.

But, I do know that with Wings Over America, the Japan Toshiba EMI pressing is completely different from the US Columbia pressing. I suspect that the other McCartney titles may be different as well.

6. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

As I said previously in this thread I have both sets (48DP, 50DP) here in front of me. The EAC logs are identical. Take that how you will :) Same mastering - yes.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks, Paul. That works for me. I won't be buying the 48DP.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Nelamvr6 glad you liked it so much.

9. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

The 50DP and 48DP Japanese issues have the same sound mastering, as indicated by the identical EAC logs.

However, they have different production masterings (the production mastering of these two was done 3 years apart). They also are completely different pressings.

What does this mean?
    Well, they do sound similar, but they do not sound exactly alike.

Vernon Fitch
    www.PinkFloydArchives.com home of The Pink Floyd Discographies Page

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'd thought I was told the German Harvest blackface was the best version?

11. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer Thread Starter

That's the only one I kept. :shh:

12. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

13. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

or the very rare Tahitian S60 :shh:

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

15. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Are you sure? I have all 3 here :D

Disc 1 same EAC readings for 50DP/48DP/silver C2K Canada except:

Track 8 : 50DP Peak level 60.8 %, C2K Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 13: 50DP Peak level 25.5 %, C2K Peak level 26.3 %

check Post 62 of the thread I listed for another confirmation (even though the OP says WYWH in the post).

Disc 2 same EAC readings for 50DP/silver C2K Canada except:

Track 10 : 50DP Peak level 94.9 %, C2K Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 11 : 50DP Peak level 100.0 %, C2K Peak level 15.5 %

Track 11 is certainly the odd one here with a huge Peak level difference.

I listened to Track 11 specifically on the 2 sets and the index mark for the 50DP is early (there is a momentary big burst of music from the end of the previous track 10 when you start track 11 by itself) so that probably accounts for the Peak level difference there.

I suspect that the indexes (indices?) might be slightly shifted on the other tracks as well - so perhaps you are correct :)

Mark - I'll be looking for your FS Thread in the Classified's for that Tahitian S60 :laugh:

16. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Well whether or not these discs are using the identical mastering is interesting to me, but not the only factor in my decision to buy the 50DP...

The version I had previously was not particularly good, this one is MUCH better than that one. And also I was interested in it's value as a collector's item.

Personally I think I did pretty well on both counts, though I would've preferred to have an Obi :sigh:

17. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

the pop is still there in Comfortably numb unless I am mistaken. Can you check? It is right near the start.

18. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I love my first pressing of this, I compared it to the second pressing and thought the first was better. Of course some here will tell me I was dreaming or whatever but what matters is what I think is best for me.

19. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Yes - pop is there on C2K as well.

I had the C2K first, then found the 48DP and 50DP within a week of one another. Would not have bought the 48DP had I found the 50DP first - my intention was to have all the Japan first pressings which I now have (except for Final Cut), so I know what you are going through (sans obi's - I would sell my blood but not my soul quite yet for this 'hobby' :)) .

I'll be selling the 48DP even thought the 50/48 are 'the same' :winkgrin:

I went through the Pink Floyd CD's I have and realised why people think I'm nuts (my wife at any rate):

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn CP32-5269
    Saucerful Of Secrets CP32-5272
    More CP32-5273
    Ummagumma CP28-5270/71
    Atom Heart Mother CP32-5274
    Meddle CP32-5032 TO version (tosh-EMI)
    Meddle CP32-5032 non TO but CDP version (Sony wCDP)
    Obscured By Clouds CP32-5275
    Dark Side Of The Moon CP35-3017 7 1A1 GRAIL (non-TO non-CDP)
    Dark Side Of The Moon CP35-3017 33B4 CDP 7 46001 B2 (non-TO)
    Dark Side Of The Moon CP35-3017 28A9 Japan Black Faced Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 (non-TO)
    Dark Side Of The Moon CP35-3017 U 1A1 TO to check mastering (and Eclipse overtrack)
    Dark Side Of The Moon SACD
    Wish You Were Here Japan for US 35DP-4 (2 track) Silver CK 33453
    Wish You Were Here 32DP-359
    Wish You Were Here Sony Mastersound Gold
    Animals 32DP-360 (2 copies)
    Animals EMI Holland Harvest CDP 7 46128 2
    The Wall Japan CBS/Sony 50DP-361-2
    The Wall Japan CBS/Sony 48DP 5007-8
    The Wall Canadian Wall C2K-36183
    Final Cut 32DP-364 (Japan Second Pressing)
    Momentary Lapse Of Reason 32DP-820

I'd like a shot of Vernon's Floyd CD's though (or Darren's) :), I'm just a lightweight around these parts I suspect......

20. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

and WYWH Japan for Japan 35DP-4 :sigh:

21. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Agree. Japan for UK release has more "live" presence.48dp sound is more polished & bit sterile.But this is of course matter of taste.

22. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Paul, this may surprise you..but Vernon is still looking for a 50DP and others. whilst he has a whole catalogue of photos and matrix numbers collected from all over the world, he doesn't actually own a lot of them. His interest is in catalogueing/referencing them.

I would think there are a lot bigger collectors on here..keith, for one, has some early stuff with OBIs and sealed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.