Full-Length SNL Episode with Todd Rundgren and Prince

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by m5comp, Mar 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The only thing Jean Doumanian did right that season was the musical guests

OldSoul, Dan C and jupiter8 like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks for posting this! Todd was promoting his album Healing, and had a truly great band with him doing the songs Time Heals and Healer.

jupiter8 likes this.
  3. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I know, right? You start watching and after like 2 sketches it's suddenly weekend update, then like 1 more sketch and then, "It's been great, I want to thank the cast..." Wtf? How lame.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Trying to figure that one out. The "Share" icon links to a completely unrelated horror movie.

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Got a link to it there? I can't seem to find it.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I remember one episode with The Cult and someone else. Maybe The Dream Academy? They did one song each.

OldSoul likes this.
  7. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover Thread Starter

Hymie the Robot and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Yes! You are correct, sir! I watched this episode about a month ago (I'm watching the series from season 6, on), and was amazed by both performances. First time I'd listen to anything by either band. The Dream Academy's song was beautiful and The Cult had crazy tracer effects for most of their performance.

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

:shake: I was mostly disappointed with the Ebersol era. It was more bland and boring than good. Each season had a good or great run: first half of season 7, first few episodes of season 8, the second half of season 9, and season 10 episodes with Harry Shearer. But the rest was very very dull. Of the dull parts, season 10 managed the best. I really think Eddie's reputation of dominating the show every week and breathing life into every sketch he was in is overblown.
    It was fairly common up through the first few seasons after Lorne returned. Then it was infrequent, but still happened, through the early-'00s.

10. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I watched the Bill Murray episode. That was Doumanian's last. One more after Rocket's F bomb. They joke about it a couple of times. It was a fairly good episode. Bill does Walter Cronkite, which is the one impression he really ever did in his original run. There are even a couple of funny moments that don't feature Bill at all. Though Bill apologized in the good nights to the old cast for "helping" Doumanian's cast.

Doumanian was still fired, and Ebersol took over. A month's hiatus. Rocket, Gottfried, and Ann Risley fired, along with the supporting players as well. Second City and SCTV vets Tony Rosato and Robin Duke are added, as well as Tim Kazurinsky. Chevy does the cold open (along with Mr. Bill) and a fall, and Update, and the goodnights, but he isn't the host and doesn't appear in any sketches. The first sketch after the credits involves a chimp. The professionalism of Kazurinsky, Rosato, and Duke helps.

The goodnights are interesting as Gail Matthius reprises her only appearance of the night, an Irene Cara impression that she continues marching through the audience in what would be her swan song on the show. Writers' strike shut down the rest of the season, and her and Denny Dillion were replaced by Mary Gross and Christine Ebersole the next year. Which wasn't all that big a difference.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.