Fully balanced turntable and phono amp recommendations.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChefBrunch, Jan 25, 2023.

1. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I know, I only use the subs when I want and can is the plan....I will use my schiit Saga S as a preamp to control them and ultimately the sub vollume separately from the main speakers vollume....a lokius will be integrated as well....running pass through at low levels, and then fully adjusted setting when in use with the subs on....each with adjustable vollume and eq.

2. ChefBrunch

Freya S xlr--lokius--power amp--speakers
    FreyaS RCA--Saga S--powered subs

3. ChefBrunch

I choose the Bowers and wilkins over others like REL because they have a lower extension but less output and just if not more accurate, from a couple reviewers directly...

The B&W 8's will reach down to 20hz. On the lowest extension settings. That's all I need.

10 inch single sub is to big,

A front firing sealed sub is basic requirements...no bigger than a cubic foot...
    The SVS1000 is to much power and not as musical, especially considering I want dual for stereo subs.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  4. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

Honestly, if your primary source is vinyl you won’t need 20hz extension. Hell, even with digital most music doesn’t go that low. I have a sub and room that will do 20hz all day long but I hardly even use the sub anymore. There just isn’t much going on down there music wise. Movies are where it’s at mostly unless you love pipe organ.

I have a little REL in a second system that doesn’t play very low but is great with music. It’s fast, nuanced and adds depth & dimension. Pairs great with my Falcons. A sub that does mid bass well is more fun to listen to for music than one that goes really low IMHO. Good luck. If you get the pro-ject phono pre would love to hear impressions.

ellingtonic likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Audio magazine (Germany) reviewed it in 2021, really liked it, just a 2-page review, so not too in-depth ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. ChefBrunch

Yeah I'm not really into the project TT but I like it....I was eyeing when it came out...

But upon closer look and learning a bit more I think the mini 5 pin xlr has some advantages delivering to the phono stage.

But next I want to see if the AT33sa I have will be acceptable with the tonearm, which I'm sure is probably an OK match...

They recommend sumiko but I have this one for now.

MM I can dedicate my lp140xp too so I don't need the switching headshell.

7. ChefBrunch

The TEAC tn5bb is made in a TEAC facility in Taiwan or Japan, not a chines mainland facility...I got this from the manufacturer

Still deciding, I do like it.

8. ChefBrunch

My primary source is cd and I went with the rotel dt6000.

I like vinyl a lot....I like to play both regularly...each gives me more appreciation for the other....a different sound and experience....

9. ChefBrunch

I listen to a lot of music styles, the Carina's do great right to 45hz.then nothing below that...

Sometimes I'm missing the bass listening to some of music, some of the deep drops and bass power in some reagae or rap...or Fukamachi's music.

It's only once in awhile for dedicated listening and knob fidgeting for the subs, when music is really entertaining

10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's definitely one of the premium models from Ya Horng who makes the other Teac turntables.

11. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

I think I misinterpreted your prior post. I often have to deal with people talking about how a cartridge can't be a balanced source because it has no center tap, which of course is untrue. My interpretation of your prior post was along those lines on account of this comment
    IME experience I find that statement to be false- if you really want a quiet phono section, you have to run it differential. We were the first anywhere to offer a balanced phono preamp input (1989) and this has been my experience, although our circuit is vacuum tube.

I don't agree that a differential amplifier will cause any degradation. IME it the opposite since lower noise (up to 6dB), lower distortion, CMRR and power supply rejection are obvious benefits. Differential amplifiers amplify what is different between their inputs; the signal doesn't have to be divided (although in the circuit above it does look that way; I don't think I would have done it that way if using opamps).
    Almost any vintage turntable can run balanced by replacement of the interconnect cable. We're setting up an older Thorens in the shop for that right now.

Or electronia.

Kyhl likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

bluemooze likes this.
  13. ChefBrunch

For a reference about subwoofers, Fukamachi probably my favorite artist has obscure synth music that is like movie soundtrack dynamics...subs are needed

bluemooze and Boltman92124 like this.
  14. ChefBrunch

Here see, I like it, you don't see many videos of it in action...TEAC is more popular in Japan than euro and USA.

A lot of reviews I've seen could only compare it to much more expensive tables...

To me it makes the project look like cheap plastic..granted I like the idea of the mini 5pin.

Still think I'm leaning for a full teac setup....the phono amp is truly end game...turntable I could upgrade in a few years but I'd be happy for a good while...I'd just like to try xlr balanced with mc for myself....

bluemooze likes this.
  15. ChefBrunch

16. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

The at33ptg/ii worked well on my Teac tn-3b. I think it’s safe to assume that the at33sa will work just fine with the 5bb.

ChefBrunch likes this.
  17. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

Oh, and the cueing mechanism was so much better on the cheap Teac than on my current Technics SL1210GR :)

18. That tonearm looks to be too long for where the pivot point is, far too much overhang.

Mine is stock with the Jelco-made arm. I love how simple it is, easy to setup and use. I won't be changing it. The new PD-191A is only in Japan for now, though I image it'll make it to the US later rather than sooner. Maybe later this year. It will be fr out of reach for me, and I prefer to think it can't be entirely better than the PD-171A. The only shortcoming of the PD-171A for me is the lack of 78rpm, though the PD-151 Mk2 has it. perhaps I could swap out my PD-121U w/SME 3009-R tonearm for one of those as a secondary table.

I'd post photos of my two (which together cost me almost exactly $4k), but I can't seem to upload them. Only 3rd-party hosting?

19. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Yes

20. ChefBrunch

Think I've come to the decision.

While I like the TEAC pairing, it's kind of a lower end balanced TT with a very high end phono preamp...a bit more middle road is what I need.

I've been digging into the project offerings more and think picking up the X8 evolution TT and pairing it with the DS3 b phono box will be a great way to go...

I can get the project with no cartridge and mount the at33sa I have on it for a good saving also.

21. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Wow! What a change?! Good that you changed your mind. The X8 is an excellent turntable and combined with the DS3 B I believe you'll get a great sounding combination.

bever70 and ChefBrunch like this.
  22. ChefBrunch

Order placed for the Pro ject X8 evolution and DS3 B phono.

I really liked some of the reviews on the X8. especially the Vinyl Attack, I like his reviews.

I had eyed the pro ject X2 B when they came out, the X8 is really a slick table and will be a nice primare and compliment the humble lp140 XP running MM duty on the less than perfect records that the MC shibata is not suited for.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    bever70 and GyroSE like this.
  23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Great! :righton:

24. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Nice!
    Which wood version did you order?

25. ChefBrunch