DCC Archive Fun, Fun, Fun

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

Steve made reference to Brad's lurking here from time to time so I thought people might be interested in this little known tidbit regarding "Fun, Fun Fun". As Brad has posted this message to a public forum, I'll simply cut and paste it to here. Hopefully, he can add to it if his "lurk mode" is on. : )

---------------------------------------------

You're right, the mono album mix of "Fun Fun Fun" *is* different from the single mix. The fact is that Brian and Chuck Britz
    did the mono album mix, while (believe it or not) Capitol was responsible for the single mix!

"FFF" was mixed a total of three times, twice in mono and once in stereo. The first mix done was the one that appears on
    the mono version of the album. That's Brian's mix (with Britz at the board) and he delivered it to Capitol in January 1964 for
    release as a single. However, Capitol rejected it and requested the three-track master for the song from Western
    Recorders. Then, an anonymous Capitol engineer remixed "FFF" (as well as the B-side, "Why Do Fools Fall In Love") for
    single release. If you compare the two mono versions, you'll see that the primary difference is that Capitol punched up the
    instrumental break in the middle (Capitol's mix also runs a little longer). Fwiw, Brian may never have even been told about
    the remix. Certainly, he wasn't present at the remix session.

Later, when Britz was assembling the master for the SHUT DOWN VOL. 2 album, he used his and Brian's original mono
    mix for "FFF," not the Capitol remix (which he may not have even had a copy of). Capitol just wanted a tape for the
    completed album and probably never noticed that their mix of "FFF" wasn't used. In those days, singles were what
    mattered, not albums.

The third mix of "FFF" was, of course, the stereo mix that was done for the stereo master of the album.

Surf's up!
    Brad

2. Thanks for the info. I haven't played my 45 of FFF for a long time. I'll have to drag it out and give it a spin. I'll also have to play my LP of Shutdown Vol. 2 (stereo version) and see how the sound of FFF compares to the one on the Razor and Tie CD.

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Interesting ... I'll have to compare my original mono "Shut Down Vol. 2" LP with the 45 (I THINK I have that on 45).

I wonder if the "single version" that appears as a bonus cut on the Surfer Girl/Shut Down Vol. 2 CD is the Capitol mix or the Brian mix ... and there's also the mono version on the "Good Vibrations" box. I guess I'll throw those on too while I'm doing the comparisons.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The way to tell the difference in the two mono mixes:

The Brian/Britz LP mix has the lead guitar in the inst. break quite loud and distracting to some....On Capitol CD "Made In The USA".

The John Kraus/Capitol 45 RRM mix leaves the solo guitar down where it should be and punches up the organ and rhythm (both on the same track).

Which do YOU like better?

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

5. Angel

Angel New Member

Steve,

I like the mono LP version with the guitar solo in the middle. It's just what I'm used to I guess.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Funny, that drives me crazy. Two solos at the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.