Fun with Paypal

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by markshan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got an email with the following title...

We noticed an issue with your account

It said in part...

On February 02, 2020, you sent a payment (****6733) for the
    amount of $25 for, "Ahmad and Wes." Please provide the following
    information:

• The date of birth for Ahmad.

It seems they think I am involved in human trafficking as when I went to my account I found the following notice there...

Your account access is temporarily limited
    You may be buying or selling goods or services that are regulated or prohibited by the U.S. government.
    We would like to learn more about your business and/or some of your recent transactions.

I sent the following response...

Ahmad is Ahmad Jamal. According to Wikipedia, Ahmad Jamal (born Frederick Russell Jones, July 2, 1930) is an American jazz pianist, composer, bandleader, and educator. For five decades, he has been one of the most successful small-group leaders in jazz. This would make him 89 years old if my math is correct. BTW, "Wes" is Wes Montgomery. Please let me know if you also require his Wikipedia information.

Seems kind of Orwellian, doesn't it?

Dave, eddiel and Bingo Bongo like this.
  2. Bradd

Bradd Forum Resident

Something like that happened to me. I also collect military miniatures and I sent a payment to a friend for some Sudanese figures and marked it “For the Sudanese”. He had to explain to PayPal what it meant. Since then, I don’t add notes to payments, other than thank you and the like.

markshan likes this.
  3. markshan

I was rather proud of the line "Please let me know if you also require his Wikipedia information." Seemed to strike just the right balance of smarm and factuality.

eddiel likes this.
  4. markshan

It seems my explanation was adequate for them as my account is functional again, at least for the moment. You'd think they would have sent me some sort of note about it though, something like "We are sorry we were such doofuses, we'd like to say it won't happen again but of course we can't".

5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Paypal restricted me when I paid our cleaner which was my usual method. I had to send them a picture of my driver's license to get it restored. Absolutely baffling to me.

markshan likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Forum Resident

Reminded me of this. Sounds like it's right up your alley. A bit tough to read but definitely worth it.

[​IMG]