Fun with wave forms - EPTAS revisited

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomcat, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the 1995 UK remaster of "Every Picture Tells A Story", made by Roger Wake and Mike Gill. It remember that someone said in this forum that this remaster had been rejected in the UK "because it was overly compressed" (my copy comes from HMV Canada as the "remastered edition"; I thought it would be the Suha Gur remaster when I ordered it).
    Attached is the wave form pic of the first 30 seconds into the title track. I guess Wake and Gill have really compressed that recording as well as limited the peaks and maybe even inverted polarity (as I suspect according to the second attached pic showing the first peaks).
    Unfortunately I have no other version to compare to, therefore I also do not know how the other versions are sounding... How does the Dennis Drake, the MoFi and the Suha Gur remaster look, compared to this one? I havent't found any hint in the "Reason to Believe" thread. Any comments?
    Thank you
    Thomas

2. tomcat

.. and these are the first 30 seconds...

Attached Files:

3. tomcat

... and the (inverted?) peaks...

Attached Files:

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm not sure I follow you. They are two separate stereo channels with different content, yes?

Regards,

5. tomcat

Hi Ken
    Yes, you can see the left channel on the top, the right channel at the bottom of the graph. During the guitar intro, the left channel is substantly louder than the right one for the first 16 seconds. The (clipped) peaks in the second graph are after some 16.9 seconds. The two narrow bands on top of both jpegs are showing the whole track (L and R).
    All the best
    Thomas

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Hi Thomas,
    I'm new to these type of wave form. I can see where the clipping occured but the wave does not appear to be heavily compressed. Could you explain or compare it to a less compressed version.
    Thanks.
    John

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I see what John sees. The "negative" peak at 16.954 in the right channel appears to be clipped, but I don't see the heavy compression (or "inversion") absent some reference with which to compare it.

Regards,

8. tomcat

Guys,
    I'm sorry but I do not have another EPTAS version to compare to. I have no idea how the other discs sound and how the corresponding graphs might look like. I was hoping someone out there could shed some light to this with a corresponding graph for the first 30 secs. from the Drake, the Gur or the MFSL version. In the "Reason to believe" thread somebody said that this remaster hadn't been approved due to its heavy compression. Interestingly nobody seemed to be aware that this "Wake/Gill" remaster is actually existing and commercially available at hmv.com.

Regards
    Thomas

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Doesn't look very compressed at all, actually...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.