Funkiest groove laid down by a white artist/band or predominantly white band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Indigo Lines, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, but culture is, and that often relates to race here in the U.S. and in the U.K..

It's no more racist than when someone does a thread about Black rockers.

That's why I get annoyed when people always want to call funk music disco, or vice-versa. It shows that many people don't know or understand the difference.

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

That one's up for debate, however what isn't debatable is that neither track belongs on this thread because the entire rhythm section on both recordings was black:

Carlos Alomar, rhythm guitar/ Emir Ksasan, bass (on 'Fame')/ George Murray, bass (on 'Golden Years')/ Dennis Davis, drums.

Telegramsam likes this.
  3. jloweinmo

jloweinmo Forum Resident

LZ - Kasmir

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If we must persue this

Dr John is pretty damn, funky. Though not really a funk artist

Flea is pretty damn funky. Though probably not a funk artist.

I don't know who is what race or colour in Booker T and the MG's, but they displayed the ability to funk pretty strongly.

I just dont see it as being very relevant. The whole white boys got no rhythm thing is just another fallacy, there are too many good bass players and drummers for that to be even vaguely true.
    Are Led Zeppelin, Parliament/Funkadelic? .... well no, but why would they be.
    Are James Brown and the Famous Flames, the Rolling Stones? .... well no, but why would they be.

Terrapin Station and Lownote30 like this.
  5. Should have referred to Steve Ferrone
    as English, then ?

6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes. I thought he was American though, which shows how much I know.

7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

1. Humans are humans. People can have different cultures without relating them to the color of their skin

2. You're right. It's no more racist than when someone does a thread about "black" rockers. That said, I would find a thread like that offensive as well.

3. On your third point, agreed.

8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This whole thread is just messed up.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Grant

Steve Ferrone isn't Scottish or American. But, he is a Brit, and that's why The Average White Band aka AWB allowed him in. Their one rule was that any replacement had to be a Brit.

Undoubtedly! Anyone can be poor, wealthy, middle-class, whatever. But, here in the U.S., more often than not, race is attached to culture. Why? As much as we like to think of ourselves as an "American" culture, even today, most races live amongst themselves. We are still a highly segregated country. The majority of Blacks live in Black communities, Whites live in White communities, various Latinos live amongst themselves, various Native American tribes, various Asians, so on...

I don't. But, believe me, I do understand your protest. What many of us are saying is that, since it is a reality, let's not shut it down. It's about music, so let's just have some fun with it.

I would say that the reason we don't see many Whites doing R&B or Blacks doing rock is because of institutional racism. The record labels like to control who records what. And, of course, there's some audiences that don't like that mixing of race and culture. A good example is the band The Marcels from the early 60s. They had a hit with "Blue Moon". Great song, and people of all stripes loved it. But, once they got down south, you know what happened. It wasn't as easy as what the 70s band Wild Cherry went through. The band lost White members because they couldn't take the racism. You know all those YouTube reaction videos? There's a reason most of them are about Black people having never heard rock music, even songs most in the White communities (plus me :)) grew up with and take for granted. Yet, you never see it in reverse.

It is a shame the moderators don't really afford us the latitude to discuss these things. As we have seen in the last couple of months, it's not good to shut down all discussion. It's good to talk these things out, even if we may disagree with each other on some points. But, I will consider your position some more. Perhaps we could come to some middle ground.

Cheers!

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm in Arkansas....
    On my street there are white folks, black folks, Asian folks, mexican folks....
    At my work I work with a very even spread of white folks, black folks and mexican folks.

Lownote30 likes this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Talking Heads - Life During Wartime

Saw them in 82
    A song about a crisis and the whole crowd standing up and grooving

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  12. Grant

Sure! I grew up like that too because I grew up military. A lot of it has to do with what part of the country you are in. But, I am saying that we are not the norm.

I heard all sorts of bands growing up so I am well-rounded in that respect. But, even I was often surprised when some White folks got down playing those grooves. And, i'm always impressed when I see Black people playing wicked guitar licks. And, they have always been out there, but the record labels usually suppress them. They say it's too hard to market them, and the audiences don't like them. They aren't totally wrong.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Fame is so funky James Brown stole it back:

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime

15. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

He's from Brighton I think. If he was from anywhere further away from Scotland he would be headed for France!

There was a very interesting long form interview with him on I think Truth In Rhythm. I still think AWB was his peak playing wise. Clapton and Petty are good solid gigs but his playing on records like Feel No Fret is out of this world.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.