Funniest stage banter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick sakka, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Warren Zevon responded to a "Freebird!" request by threatening to play Whipping Post. Slowly. Solo.

ARK and Gasman1003 like this.
  2. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

I've seen the working jazz trio of Larry Goldings (organ), Peter Bernstein (guitar), and Bill Stewart (drums) several times. Besides being deadly and sublime, Larry Goldings is one of the funniest people I've ever seen onstage. I would pay just to see him stand up there and talk for 90 minutes. I would recommend that anyone not miss them next time they come to your town because the music is so excellent, but the Goldings between-song banter is absolutely gold.

In a rock vein, I love Richard Thompson's wit between songs. For a person who is described as being so shy and reserved, he is razor fast on his feet, and quite the comedian.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  3. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

your recall is off, nobody has come from 0-3 down in the finals to win an NBA title.

ARK likes this.
  4. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

The Mentors, hands down. Their shows were maybe 15% songs and 85% drunken stand-up.

hangwire13 and Brettlowden like this.
  5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Lou Reed's blistering comments and cynical asides on ' Take No Prisoners' are hilarious.
    Wish there had been an album called ' Having Fun With Lou Reed On Stage'.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Dudley Morris and Amnion like this.
  6. Juan Hitwonder

Juan Hitwonder Forum Resident

After his first few songs, Ice-T said "Turn up the lights! Turn up the lights, I want to see the audience!"

[The lights are turned up.]

Ice-T: "Ugghh!! You're all so ugly!"

7. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Barenaked Ladies are quite clever/funny.

youngchoulin and Dillydipper like this.
  8. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

No doubt delivered while smoking a pipe. Love it!

9. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

When Eric Carmen had two drummers he'd point to each and reverse the names.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I in fact do say so- Guess you had to be there

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I enjoyed the songs he sang and he was funny otherwise and interesting songwriter and guitar player as well. It’s just him on acoustic. Just found him a little offensive and a bit ignorant, Guess I was just there to see hear music and Not listen to his feelings about religion

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes, see the Todd Rundgren Kanye West posts

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Always impressed with how quick a wit Ben Folds has.

And, forget about requesting "Rock This Bi*ch" when he asks for suggestions, because it always ends up being something else. Once he turned his stage patter into a meandering free-form intro, then led the band into some "Weather Channel music", which I found a nice diversion.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised. I have the recording somewhere. I'll dig it out to jog my memory.

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It was the Celtics losing to the Knicks after being up 2-0 in May of 1990.

It's at the 8:00 mark here:

ARK likes this.
  17. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Rick Wakeman's acceptance speech at RRHOF is a treat:

(Seeing Geddy and Alex at the end reminded me that I laughed out loud more times than I can remember at Rush shows, but I can't remember anything with enough specificity to quote.)

M321115 and KariK like this.
  18. mbennet

mbennet Forum Resident

Milk Carton Kids and John Wesley Harding (Wesley Stace)

19. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

This was what I came on this thread to post. My favorite appears on Gotta Get This Hen Out! immediately after he plays "Acid Bird" and just before he does "The Cars She Used To Drive"--both ace tunes, by the way:

"Thank you. That song was about life in the West country before most of you were born and a long time after the rest of you were dead. This is called, um, 'I Suddenly Found Myself Underneath A Bucket But There Was Nobody Else There Except For Some Cement So I Went Home Wearing The Wrong Head.'"

Delivered totally deadpan in his posh English accent.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

The Who:
    Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B, Disc 1, Track 1, "Pete Dialogue (Live At Long Beach Arena, 1971)":

I'll tell you f***ers something ...
    alright now listen.
    Just f***ing listen, shut up ...
    alright ...
    either sit down or stand up or lay down or do something but SHUT UP ...
    alright ...
    this is a f***ing rock and roll concert not a f***ing tea party
    ... alright.

21. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Mark Knopfler's introduction of Eric Clapton at 1988 Nelson Mandela Tribute:

"As you may have noticed, Jack's not with us tonight because he's had two lovely babies. Two little girls this big...
    We've had to get a stand-in and I'm very sorry about this. Last minute stand-in, tricky little inside left.
    And, uh, he's never played at Wembley before, but he's the best we could do, you know.
    But he has played before - Eric Clapton"

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Not me. It totally ruins a great show.

23. RockNRollGhost

RockNRollGhost Forum Resident

Little Debbie. It’s on The Instrument soundtrack.

hangwire13 likes this.
  24. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

it seems that in 19and99 mr dylan told some very corny jokes. here's one:

"My ex-wife left me again. She's a tennis player. Love means nothing to her."

there's a bunch more and also later

25. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Austin stalwart Bob Schneider is a funny dude. Just saw his Lonelyland gig he does on Monday nights at the Saxon Pub, a really casual affair with people in seats at tables right at the foot of the stage, the band all sitting, as well. The banter between them is often hilarious.

This time a dude who had clearly spent his afternoon at the Pub kinda bum rushed the stage from the left side. Bob gave him a sideways glance mid-song. When the song finished, it was clear he had bothered Bob as he went into a rap about it, saying based on his many years doing this, he could pretty much guarantee that guy was gonna get tossed out, unless he somehow sobered up instantly, something that doesn't tend to happen and that, though the Saxon Pub staff has no desire to throw anyone out, they will be more than happy to if it comes to that. After a few more songs, you could hear some commotion in the back and someone shouting out, "Don't **** with me...don't **** with me!" A few songs later, dude made another foray toward the stage and, yes, he got tossed.

At the end of the show, Bob and the band do something called "Time To Go" in the style of whoever comes up that night...AC DC, the Stones, Madonna...whatever. They did that and then went into something made up on the spot, a song with the words "Don't **** with me!"

Bob has a great new album that just came out...he didn't mention it once or play a song off it. Not that kind of gig...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.