Funniest stage banter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick sakka, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

ahhh cool!

2. Sandy Dee

Sandy Dee Forum Resident

Enjoy Cannonball Adderley’s on stage chat , classy guy .

GregM likes this.
  3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Crowded House has this category all sown up. I can't begin to post the many humorous anecdotes, put downs and interludes they engaged in.

4. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Just one will do to give us an idea.

5. Alan1958

Alan1958 Forum Resident

Loudon was the first person that came to mind

6. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

ron nasty of the rutles

now, we would like to dedicated the next number to a very special lady in the audience tonight, barry's mum.

7. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Leo Kottke is hilarious.

Roland Stoves and Panama Hotel like this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

In one of the concerts included in the recent Tull boxes, Ian announces the intermission by saying that “the band is going to take a leak, and you should too”.

9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

John Denver was quite funny on the two live albums "An Evening With" and "John Denver In London". No matter what you think of his music, he could be very charming.

10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Oderus Urungus wins this thread. Many, many awesome jokes and rants but I like hanging out here so I won't post any of them :unhunh:

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ray Davies would usually introduce his brother as "Dave Death Of A Clown Davies" --- which was pretty funny, although cruel (to Dave) at the same time.

In general, Ray had excellent comedic skills.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here we have 'the singing Resident' talking about meeting James Brown:
    (@2:45)

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Ian Anderson, 1990, after throwing off stage jacket after first number:

‘For a moment then, I thought I was Gary Glitter! (Laughs) ‘I dunno:maybe I . Maybe he’s me! (Laughs;pause) Maybe the bastard’s been getting my royalties!’

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here we have David Thomas telling a story of embarrassment and one time when Pere Ubu opened for Kool & The Gang!:
    (@4:30)

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

‘Here’s a song about a necrophiliac who fulfilled his childhood ambition by becoming coroner’. (Scattered laughter) ‘The test of you can look it up when you get home.’

:)

Amnion and vince like this.
  16. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

:laugh:

17. classicrockguy

Ha, that's mean but hilarious at the same time :laugh:

18. classicrockguy

Johnny Rotten at what I presume is the beginning of a show, "I get the feeling you've all been cheated, good night!"

Amnion likes this.
  19. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Yeah. I love his dry humour. At a small theatre show, I was front and centre and quite happy that he was passing through my small city. After saying “thank you” at the end of one song, I yelled back, “no, thank you.” I quickly retorted in that hesitant way of his, “you know, you are paying me to be here, right?”

Paul Gase likes this.
  20. I heard/saw Leo at a show where he did his instrumental "Sargasso Sea", which is of course the notoriously windless and calm part of the Atlantic that used to strand so many sailing ships and their crews entrapped by "the doldrums", often to their doom from thirst, starvation, heatstroke, and madness.

Kottke reached the suspense-laden middle part of the tune, dwelling on every note...and then he adlibbed "They're dropping like flies..."

evillouie likes this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Michael Stipe could be pretty funny in a deadpan way.

"This next song is, alongside Samuel Barber's Adagio and the theme song from Chariots Of Fire, one of the most brilliant, innovative, ingenious and audacious pieces of music ever presented by man."

(Band launches into "Stand")

youngchoulin likes this.
  22. Roland Stoves

Roland Stoves 3.9% Neanderthal

John Doe is a very funny guy onstage solo or with the Knitters. Not as much with X.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  23. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

The Beach Boys (I think it's Carl) on a bootleg I heard years ago..."for those of you still looking for Kenny....he has been found". Poor Kenny, they kept looking for him most of the set. My friends still joke about this nearly 30 years later:laugh:

24. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

Not so much banter, but I think the introduction to For No One on Barclay James Harvest's Live Tapes is funny:
    "You've been such a wonderful audience, this song is for you! Well, actually, it's for no one!
    :laughup:

25. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Zappa: "It's so ****ing great to be alive, that's the theme of our show tonight..."

"....and I wanna tell ya, .... if there's anyone here who doesn't believe it's ****ing great to be alive, I wish they would go now because this show will bring them down so much..."

barfko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.