Funny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Long was perfect in "Cheers", and I suspect my view of her as Diane makes it tougher to see her as a street hooker in "NS".

"NS" came out right before "Cheers" debuted. I don't think I saw the movie until late 1982/early 1983, but my view of Long as Diane wasn't set in stone when "Cheers" had only been on the air a few months.

Almost 40 years later and it's tough to think of Long as anything but Diane!

Though I think even without that connection, she was wrong for the role. Long could've played a "Mayflower Madam" kind of hooker, but not someone who works the rough streets of NYC.

She's just too posh and WASPy for that.

Jamie Lee Curtis pulled off "low rent prostitute" in "Trading Places", but she played the role as earthy.

Long still plays her character as a New England country club sort, and it makes no sense.

'05Train likes this.
  2. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Gotta say, I thought Cheers did itself well replacing Long with Kirstie Alley. Long always seemed like she was acting - never inhabiting her roles.

3. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

Was 1 a good year?

4. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Glengarry Glen Ross". The vicious accuracy and moments of black humor in that film...
    "A Night at the Opera" is still a standard-bearer.
    "Arthur" is a riot.
    "Spinal Tap" goes to 11.
    Nothing much as films, but very funny moments: "Analyze This/That" and "Meet the Fockers","Airplane/Top Secret/Police Squad".

C.

5. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

mon oncle
    it's a gift
    his girl friday
    take the money and run

Fabrice Outside likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.