Funny review headline for a 1929 clunker talkie called "Behind That Curtain"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

"The movie giveth little, taketh away 91 minutes from life".

:laugh:That cracks me up, 'cause I just watched this doggie on a DVD I had. It's a true stiffie (and I don't mean the good kind). It was filmed in 1929 but still, yikes. This review of the plot sez it all.

Behind That Curtain (adapted from the book by Earl Derr Biggers)

The story begins as noted with Sir George being assured by Mr. Galt - some sort of private investigator - that he has the evidence to prove that Eric Durand is a thorough cad and rotter unworthy of marrying Sir George's heiress niece Eve - and will bring it to him in the morning. Shortly after, Colonel Beetham and Galt have an argument in Galt's office witnessed by Galt's aide. Late that night, Galt is killed at his office, and a pair of Chinese slippers are placed on the dead man's feet by the murderer, who, when he flees, is observed and followed by the building's night watchman, a low, but cunning Cockney type, who will later blackmail Durand. Next day, Eve and Durand confront Sir George (who favors Beetham as an in-law and helps to finance his exploring expeditions) with the news that they have been married the night before - apparently Durand had saved Eve's life - "something any man would do." Sir George turns his metaphorical back on the couple, and they leave for India for no particular reason. Beetham prepares to leave for the "deserts of Persia." Meanwhile Sir Frederick of the Yard - who speaks more slowly than your average person on the edge of mortality - by the way, British and American accents are parceled out randomly among the characters - has called his friend Chan, the latter having explained that the slippers had been a gift from the emperor of China to Beetham for meritorious service and that their embroidery means, "Walk lightly, go far." This is odd because the film is made and ends in 1929 though it begins several years earlier, Beetham appears to be meant to be in his early thirties, and the last emperor of China (a child) was overthrown in 1912. Anyway, Sir Frederick notes, "The Chinese - they see things that we don't." In India, a year later, the Durands are living quietly, if unhappily for Eve. Her uncle has died, apparently of heartbreak. Her husband sits around drinking whiskey-sodas - "strong ones" and having an affair with their servant girl who fans him and sings the same song over and over. Eve serendipitously runs into Beetham in the market - he is leaving for Persia the next day. He swears to take care of her if she should need him. Eve goes home and finds a: one of the singing servant's earrings on her bed and b: a letter from the Cockney porter back in England who has not been receiving his 100 pound stipends and who hints strongly that Durand killed Galt. Eve confronts Durand, who more or less admits things. She says she will not make a scandal or divorce him, but he needs to stay away from her. He tries to break in her bedroom door, and she flees to Beetham and begs him to take her with him so that she can "totally disappear" in the dunes of Persia. Beetham reluctantly agrees - there is danger (which we never see) but he loves her. Sir Frederick (of the Yard) has been following these people around the world for the past year. He drops in on Durand (whom he suspects as the man is an obvious bounder) to talk to Eve. Then he, Durand and a Persian official fly a monoplane to Beecham's encampment. They search for Eve, but Sir Frederick (who knows a gentleman when he sees one) makes it clear that he really hasn't tried to find her, though he knows she is there because of Beetham's sketches of her on his maps. Beetham's servant (played by Boris Karloff) leads Durand astray. Dir Frederick enjoins Beetham on his honor to meet with him the next day in Teheran and to bring Eve. (If he is only a day away from Teheran, one wonders what Beetham is exploring.) Anyway, Eve has already fled on horseback, and Beetham's party make no attempt to go after her, though later Beetham will say that he had been searching for several days before he comes to see Sir Frederick. Another year passes. Eve is taking the ferry into San Francisco when she reads that Beetham is to give a lecture that night - she saves the clipping and goes to her job as an elevator operator. Durand comes on the elevator and stops it between floors. He has already killed the blackmailing cockney and tries to force Eve to give him the incriminating letter or he will kill her too. Under duress she agrees, takes Durand to the fifth floor, pushes out the door, plummets the elevator to the lobby and flees to her apartment. As she arrives, two Chinese detectives from the San Francisco Police who have ransacked her room and found the letter are leaving. (One of them is said to be Chan.) Eve determines to go to Beetham at his lecture. Sir Frederick has instructed Chan to have the place heavily guarded, but to allow Durand to get in. Eve quietly enters the back of the hall and takes a seat. Beetham sees her, and, instead of delivering his slide show, begins talking about love, much to the mystification of his audience. Durand appears at a side door with a gun and a bad twitch. He attempts to shoot Eve, but Sir Frederick takes the bullet - only a flesh wound. Beetham and Eve explain everything, and the news comes that Durand has been killed resisting arrest, probably because Chan (whom we do not see) thought the world would be better off without Durand. The lovers embrace (off camera), and Sir Frederick takes his leave for the hospital, saying, "We have walked softly, gone far, and now the journey is ended." Written by Jeff Schnitzer {[email protected]}

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yikes -- so many talkie clunkers from that 1929 to about 1936 or '37 era. (Clearly, there were some exceptions.) Starting around 37, 38, 39, there seem to be a lot more movies that seem "modern" in terms of acting, editing, photography, etc., rather than antique and "stiff." Not sure exactly why. (Using Hitchcock films as an example, "The 39 Steps," while a wonderful movie, looks and sounds like a museum piece, while "Rebecca," from only 4 years later, is a vast improvement, stylistically and technically. The same can be said when comparing two American films of the same time period, at least in many cases.)

Matt

PS - Seeing "Sir Frederick" above, I cannot help but think of Sir Frederick Gas from Spike Jones. :)

3. Steve Hoffman

Oh, I disagree, there were some wonderful movies starting in 1932 when the camera was finally freed from the stationary sound box. However, I understand what you are saying. Two things happened in 1937.

First (probably means nothing to the acting style but it does to the quality of the voices) all the first generation sound gear was replaced with the new stuff including the microphones thereby removing that shrill early talkie sound. Second, there was a recession and the movie business suffered greatly, being the worst year of movie business since 1921.

Perhaps the studio heads decreed that the plots be more lifelike? Don't know. But 1937 is indeed the year that movies because modern sounding and in many cases, modern looking. It's also the first year that the "B" picture (like a Charlie Chan or Mr. Moto) made MORE money than the prestigious "A" pictures. A fact not lost on studio heads for a few more years.. The B's kept them in business at least until the war started..

4. MLutthans

Not that there weren't good movies earlier; just lots of clunkers (to clarify).

Speaking of B movies, I went to 10 of the 14 films in this excellent series last week in Seattle, and had a great time at every one. One thing that I really appreciate about so many of the "B" movies is the economy and efficiency of the whole thing, meaning: The credits start, and they last about 45 seconds (woo-hoo!), and within the first two minutes in many cases, somebody is killed for framed or set-up, and the story is off to the races -- no "fat" in these films, at least in the better ones.

Films in the series I attended last week are listed below, with my faves being "Cry Danger" with Dick Powell in full "Richard Diamond" sarcasm mode, and "Pick Up on South Street," and incredibly taut little film with the great Richard Widmark and some shockingly violent scenes that seem completely realistic. Also, FLY-BY-NIGHT was a great little comedic rip-off of THE 39 STEPS -- really a fun movie. These were all shown in beautiful 35mm prints:

Friday, February 19
    Double Feature!
    Pitfall
    Larceny

Saturday, February 20
    Double Feature!
    Cry Danger
    The Mob

Sunday, February 21
    Double Feature!
    The Postman Always Rings Twice
    He Ran All the Way

Monday, February 22
    Double Feature!
    Inside Job
    Human Desire

Tuesday, February 23
    Double Feature!
    Red Light
    Walk a Crooked Mile

Wednesday, February 24
    Double Feature!
    Deported
    Fly-by-Night

Thursday, February 25
    Double Feature!
    Slattery’s Hurricane

Pickup on South Street

A very similar festival (same series, same host, some variation in titles presented) is coming to the Egyptian in Hollywood in April. I highly recommend that you go!

http://www.noircity.com/

Matt

5. Steve Hoffman

If I could come back in another life, I'd like to be a "B" director in Hollywood in the 1930s-40s ( I mean at a major studio, not Monogram or PRC, etc). Wish I could, that must have been a fun time... A director with talent like "Lucky" Bruce Humberstone...

Those 1950's programmers were pretty intense. What was the name of the one about the race track betting guy? Had Sterling Hayden in it. Was their an armored car in it or am I thinking of another movie? The photography in that programmer was as good as anything in Citizen Kane...

6. MLutthans

I think you are talking about "The Killing." Great little movie, directed by Stanley Kubrick! ("I can't make that bet, Dave.")

Matt

7. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, my wife just hipped me to that. Silly, forgot it was Kubrick....

8. MLutthans

Well, it's certainly not his usual schtick, so all is forgiven. (I try to forget that STAR TREK was Robert Wise....)

Matt

9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Kubrick schtick ?
    Please explain?

My fav 30's is' Lost Horizons'
    Any thing with a DC3 , Chinese Warlords,glam dames,Thugs, Himalays and handsome hero is fine by me

Early talkies 'clunkers' becos of archaic static kit and stage screen plays with stilted performance.
    They have a certain charm

10. MLutthans

Just meant that it didn't come across as a Kubrick film. (2001, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon, it ain't!)

I love Lost Horizons, too. Good choice!

Matt

11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I think that improved equipment brought about a more refined acting style. A lot of actors for early talkies were culled from the stage, since they had experience in speaking roles. And since they were stage actors, they were accustomed to "projecting" their voices. Over time they realized they didn't have to do that anymore, and so little by little their delivery became less stentorian.

12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Not to disagree, but in many ways hiring stage actors turned out to be a serious albeit logical misstep for Hollywood in the transition to sound features.

While I think that Steve is on the money about improved sound gear and the more modern "sound" being perceived as generally more life-like by audiences of later eras, acting styles and delivery of dialogue is a separate issue and more directly attributable to film Direction.

There are many silent features and even some early sound features (limited by the requirements of isolating sound gear from extraneous noise in the studio) that feature naturalistic voicing and acting. In almost every case the success or failure of these features can be attributed to the Director's methods, even under the rigidity of the evolving studio system.

Over emoting in some silent features is problematic for many modern film viewers, but the level of naturalness before the camera was totally in the hands of the Director subject to the capability of the performers. I think if you watch a broad spectrum of silent and early sound features you'll see quite a range of acting and delivery, much of it very naturalistic.

Based upon my research, and I've spent many years as an aficionado and amateur historian of silent and transitional sound film, one of the most misunderstood aspects of early sound features was the rationale for hiring Broadway stars at to replace silent stars at the beginning of the sound era.

First of all, you have to realize that sound features were still considered a fad until mid-1929; most studio heads thought that they would be a "special interest" or road-show specialty limited to those houses (theaters) wired for sound, and keep in mind that there were several competing sound systems vying for acceptance in the late 20's.

The real motivation for sound acceptance was to provide studios with added control (taking editing away from state censorship boards) and the carrot for theater owners was the elimination of hired musicians and competing vaudeville specialty acts. As a side note, it's also important to point out that some movie theaters (those that didn't close down or revamp into indoor miniature golf courses which were popular at the time), due to cost or incompatibility of competing systems and the economics of the period took years converting to sound. During this time most early sound features were also released with dialogue cards.

Also, in retrospect, The Jazz Singer was not as much of a game-changer as folks think. It took over two years to convince many studio executives that sound (as noisy, restrictive and unrealistic as it was) was accepted by enough film patrons that it was the future of the entire industry. It's worth noting that during this period some sound films bombed while well filmed silent films flourished. The one novelty that came along with the introduction of sound was the "all dancing - all singing" Broadway musical and Review, but that had limited appeal and quickly got old with audiences.

To succeed in Hollywood, stage trained actors had to immediately "unlearn" their broader delivery styles and enunciation, which tended to yield less than satisfactory results in many cases. But it was a logical assumption by the Producers of the era that the stage was the best source of new talent for sound features. Also, studio heads liked the marketable prestige that stage stars brought, and assumed that since stage trained actors tended to speak in a clear, enunciated style that it would translate well to the new restrictive sound medium.

Unfortunately, high-salaried Broadway star contracts didn't always translate into good box-office (stage acting, over-enunciation and lack of close-up appeal often limited the screen longevity of a number of classically trained stage actors).

When reviewers and patrons criticized overly dramatic delivery as unrealistic or "corny" studios had to go back to square one, but at no small cost considering that the transition to sound was going on just as the Depression hit.

This forced studios to seek out new stars, many coming from the ranks (bit-players with strong voices being featured, replacing some of the earlier silent stars). Some silent stars, whose speaking voices didn't match how the audience perceived them when tested or filmed with the limited range sound gear of the era, just retired or allowed their contracts to be bought out rather than be relegated to lesser roles.

This is certainly a subjective POV, but I can provide references for this information if requested.

:cheers:
    Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.