Funny, you don't look blueish. James Cameron to Make Three Avatar Sequels*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Oh yes!!!! after he's done with Avatar he moves on to Battle Angel and The Informationist. He's going to be a very busy man for the next 5-7 years. WETA is going to have their hands full with this project, good for them.

James Cameron’s “Avatar” project just got even bigger — so large that Cameron is no longer going it alone.
    The director and 20th Century Fox announced Thursday that they are now making three, not two, sequels to Cameron’s 2009 blockbuster, the highest-grossing movie of all time with global sales of $2.78 billion.
    Rather than writing the sequels himself, as was Cameron’s original plan, the filmmaker has brought on a team of screenwriters to collaborate on the follow-ups: Josh Friedman (“War of the Worlds”); the team of Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (“Rise of the Planets of the Apes”); and Shane Salerno (“Savages”).

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

While I enjoyed Avatar I hope the stories for the sequels are kind of original this time.

4. conception

conception Forum Resident

It's easy to pan sequels, but I think if any Avatar sequel is to truly succeed it is going to have to expose viewers to something different and stimulating just like seeing some of the scenes in the original did. Honestly, when I really think about it, I'm genuinely excited to think of what kind of new sights we may be exposed to in a new Avatar movie.

We were using Avatar the last couple days to demonstrate our televisions, and I can honestly say that I was genuinely impressed with just how much better it made our TV's look than some of the other movies we've been using (IE The Avengers and Star Wars Episode III, both of which lack fine detail). The amount of detail in every shot of the movie is astounding if you haven't seen it in a while and just judge it solely from an animation standpoint.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Maybe he should go original Lucas and let others direct as well.

6. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

As long as they are nothing like the crappy second Star Wars series or horrible matrix sequels

chumlie likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:biglaugh: that will most definitely give some the "blues" :hurl:

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Might as well. What have you got to lose? It's like filming the sequels to "The Fast and The Furious," IMO. It's not like there are any high standards to keep up with. There was nothing special there to begin with.

And the boxed set possibilities are endless.... :rolleyes:

9. conception

Avatar had the most complex and detailed computer animation (or really, animation of any type) ever done. So I'd say there is a standard to uphold, even if it wasn't a revolution in the story department, and my main fear from a sequel is not living up to the standard.

JohnG, Metralla and Vidiot like this.
  10. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Talk about milking it.........

chumlie likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Other than the fact that The Lord of the Rings did the same kinds of special effects (better, I think, with Gollum), I think the main thing about Avatar was it hit at the height of 3D-films reintroduction. That was it's calling card to audiences. Now that 3D's hot entrance has chilled, I'll be curious to see how well the new ones are embraced. But Cameron is smart, since we dispensed with shaman and religion, young people are seeking their myths and legends at the movies (aka Star Wars, LOTR, Batman) and he knows if you put out a series of films, you're myth making on the classic epic scale. So there's money to be made in them floating hills...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

What happened in the sequel to "Pocahontas"? :hide:

Zoot Marimba and Hutch like this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Should be visually great....

One of the 3-D movies that actually looked great.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think Avatar touches on a lot more issues than Poca or Dances....anyhow the sequels will be stand alone movies, all that's been revealed so far is that the second movie will feature the oceans of Pandora, they are working on the technology for underwater motion capture, new creatures/environments will be presented and the main characters lives will be multi-generational over the course of the sequels. The only confirmed actors are Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver. If Cameron is to be believed each film will stand on it's own while being interconnected to the others, the 4th one is supposed to be a prequel to the 1st.

I would expect a continued pro-enviromental message combined with the same anti-evil corporation(s) sentiment of the first, a common theme for his movies since the beginning of his career.

drivingfrog likes this.
  15. conception

Wasn't that one called "Outbreak"?

Hutch likes this.
  16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Is he going to call the next one "Ferngully Part 3"?

dwilpower and Hutch like this.
  17. marke

marke Forum Resident

I'm just glad he's making movies again. 12 years was too long a wait. But when is Battle Angel going to come out?!

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

my guess 2020

19. Here's hoping for another great one in 3D.

20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Avatar was a 3-D movie with a 1-D script.

Zoot Marimba, Plan9, arley and 6 others like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Avatar was all sizzle and no steak; as they say.

22. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

It actually took me a few days to get through the whole thing because I kept falling asleep. Won't be watching any of the sequels.

23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I don't want to see any Avatar sequels; hope he just "terminates" them . . .

24. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I don't think there is enough to the 'mythos' of Avatar to offer anything original. It'll be more of the same allegorical commentary of technology and 'man' bad....earth, nature and blue people good.

And the whole draw will be based on the cg effects.

bubba-ho-tep and zobalob like this.
  25. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I would hope that any movie would be judged, not by how good it makes your TVs look (that's a derisory standard) but rather by the sometimes forgotten and rather conventional things like plot, script, acting, set desr TVs etc. If your view of what makes a good film is based on the amount of detail in every shot, solely from an animation viewpoint, well....it takes more than painstaking CGI to make a film worth watching, however spectacular the Roger Dean style backdrops may be.

Zoot Marimba, Ghostworld and Gallileo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.