Funny, you don't look blueish. James Cameron to Make Three Avatar Sequels*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Out on Nov 29. Lots of Cameron and Stan Lee content.

[​IMG]

2. clayton

clayton Senior Member

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Same year as the remaster of Pink Floyd's Animals on SACD. :D

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Final trailer for Alita.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's been a little quiet on the sequel front, they just added Edie Falco to the cast.

We are thrilled to share that Edie Falco is joining the Avatar family as General Ardmore, the Commander in charge of the RDA's interests in the Avatar Sequels!

[​IMG]

Landau provides a recent update, performance capture is done for # 2-3 and part of 4, live action next.

Ghostworld, enro99 and Pete Puma like this.
  6. clayton

clayton Senior Member

So in whose lifetime will he do this, he's slower than molasses, this was announced how long ago?

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It will be fascinating if Avatar 2 bombs and then he has 3 or 4 other movies he has to release.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Avatar II - Release date Dec 18 - 2020

Those are locked in - if they bomb Bob Iger will not green light IV and V.

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I cant with those crazy eyes. looks like rollerball anime style

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They've been pushed back (again).

Avatar Sequels' Release Dates Pushed Back Years - IGN

They're really playing with fire here. The further they push them back, the more they risk the sequel bombing and jeopardizing the fate of the sequels that are supposed to follow it.

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Disney acquiring 20th Century Fox forced them to review their entire schedule of releases, I posted them in another thread. As a fan of Cameron's movies I'm more than a little ticked off at this news considering how far along they are into the production already, no reason to push them another 12 months forward unless WETA Digital is backlogged and can't make deadlines without compromising quality.

12. I’ve got to be honest after having seen the first, I’m not really interested in follow up films myself.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They are screwed...

Moviegoers will have to wait a little longer to return to Pandora.

James Cameron’s long-awaited and oft-delayed follow-up to “Avatar” has been pushed back another year. “Avatar 2” will hit theaters on Dec. 17, 2021 instead of Dec. 18, 2020 as originally planned. Its move means that “Avatar 3” will open on Dec. 22, 2023 as opposed to Dec. 17, 2021 while “Avatar 4” will bow on Dec. 19, 2025 instead of Dec. 20, 2024 and “Avatar 5” will launch Dec. 17, 2027. The news comes as part of a larger shift in release dates unveiled by Walt Disney Studios. The company is changing the debuts of various films it inherited after buying the bulk of 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets in a $71.3 billion mega-merger.

As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced that three new untitled “Star Wars” films that will come after “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” brings the Skywalker spinoff saga to a close. The first of the three films will hit theaters in Dec. 16 2022. There will be two other follow-ups to during the Christmas corridor on Dec. 20, 2024 and Dec. 18, 2026. Disney is poised to dominate around the holidays for the foreseeable future. The studio is alternating between “Avatar” and “Star Wars” films every year through 2027 starting in 2021. In 2020, Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story” adaptation” will bow on Dec. 18, while “Cruella” will launch Dec. 23 ahead of the long holiday weekend.

Disney Announces New ‘Star Wars’ Films, Moves ‘Avatar’ Sequels

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is going to make the wait for those Beatles remasters look like nothing. :)

15. the pope ondine

wow.....I cant imagine this is good, I don't know if (future) Avatar has the long term appeal they thinks it has...was there excitement over the trailer? it kind of looked generic and derivative to me......and now another year delay?

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It can't all be technical CG delays or can it? Rewrites and reshoots, meaning story problems and other stuff, no?

Isn't the first sequel delayed with six years or something like that now?

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Trailer for what the sequel? it doesn't exist yet.

18. the pope ondine

ha! never mind I was looking at the Alita trailer, all these big eyed cgi people look the same to me

Deuce66 and Vidiot like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is an interesting headline...

Untangling James Cameron's Ever-Shifting 'Avatar' Release Dates

[​IMG]

I'm feeling dizzy after reading this story... the studio has set release dates and unset them at least 5 or 6 times now. If I didn't know better, I would say that Cameron is insecure about the plot and characters and is changing the film(s) on the fly...

They aren't saying as to whether there were technical problems, story problems, character problems, or what. Cameron did commit to shooting with the (relatively) new Sony Venice camera in 6K 3D, but I'd be curious to know if he's still shooting at 60fps or not. I've seen clips of the new 120fps Will Smith/Ang Lee film Gemini Man, and the image quality still looks weird to me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I still haven't seen the first (only:)) Avatar. Looks like I have plenty of time.

bpmd1962 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think the Disney Pandora Land will be re-themed in 10 to 15 years after these movies either never come out, or the first sequel does come out and bombs.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, it's a fun film worth watching. I'm not saying Avatar an incredible artistic achievement, but it's not boring and held my interest for 162 minutes (and that's a long film). Nominated for nine Oscars and one three, plus made almost $2.8 billion... it's hard to fault that achievement.

My guess is worst case, they'll still release one or two of the sequels and just push them straight to Disney+ and forget the theatrical run. That's unless Cameron has got a tight contract that forces them to have a theatrical run in a certain number of theaters. It is a concern when you consider they've basically committed to four films that probably cost upwards of $250M each spread out over 7 years. And Cameron is no spring chicken: unlike the Star Wars films, which have had a revolving door of a half-dozen different directors, this is just one guy who will be 73 by the time the final film is released.

SandAndGlass and The Hud like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

"Originally, the plan was for Cameron to create two follow-ups from the 2009 movie; even before the first film was complete, the filmmaker talked about his original intent for the series to be a trilogy. In October 2010, almost a year after Avatar’s release, Cameron officially announced the two sequels, dated for 2014 and 2015, respectively."

Here is where the explanation falls apart.

"Landau also said at the time that Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 needed to have clear distinctions, despite being made simultaneously. "That's where movies fall into trouble — when they try to say: 'You know what? It's really one movie and there's an intermission' — so we want each one to be a stand-alone movie,” said the producer."

Well, let's see... There was the L.O.T.R. movies, that were really all one movie, with two intermissions.

The Hunger Games, Twilight Saga and the Harry Potter movies, all took the last book in the series and made two movies out of it, with a long "intermission" in between.

In light of this, Landau's explanation is just lame.

Whether you are going to make two separate movies or one movie with an intermission in between, it really makes no difference.

Just make the movie(s) and stop with these lame excuses!

The Harry potter movies were being made before the whole series was even close to being written. Yet, the first movie came out in 2001 and by 2011, when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II came out was in a span of ten years. But, over ten years, the shot and released eight movies.

With the Twilight franchise, the first Twilight movie was release in 2008 and the The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2, was released in 2012, making the franchise of five movies over only a period of four years.

You can't just use budget and CGI complexity as an excuse either. Not with there being 22 Marvel Universe themed movies being released from 2008 to present.

Now, we are learning that it will have taken eleven years to produce the first Avatar sequel.

I think the explanations come across more as poor excuses than explanations that the public would likely accept.

So, then they are saying, that the movies releases are being pushed back because Cameron is now planning for a forth and a fifth movie.

Who cares about a forth and a fifth Avatar movie? Are we all going to be alive by then?

All of this has really gotten stupid, maybe beyond stupid.

I thought the Star Wars saga was bad, stretching the original franchise out over thirty plus years. But, at least the separated the movies into three main parts of three movies each. At least we had each complete part within a decade.

budwhite likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's the first 2.5 minutes of the directors cut......

The Hud likes this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, good points.

There are many big effects movies that don't take forever to get done. There is something fishy with Cameron post Titanic that makes everything to damn sloooo...ooo..ooo..ow.

Here's a thought; don't yap about the sequels until they are mostly done, you know.
    Sure, Star Wars and The Hobbit and other films have had post poned premier dates, but only with six months or a year or so after they began the real production/filming.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.