Furutech NCF Clear Line AC conditioner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sam, Sep 14, 2021.

1. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person

Just ordered one myself, let's see what happens!

motorstereo and jonwoody like this.
  2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Are your plans to cut it open, or actually use it?? :D:cool:

3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Looking forward to reading the difference you hear.

Love the two I have. The two add up to about the same improvement as upgrading one pair of 6SN7 tubes. I’m happy

Tommyboy and CarmineRed like this.
  4. CarmineRed

I'm going to wine and dine it and then hopefully by the end of the night it will sound good! :)

That's a great way of looking at it. Tube lovers will go and roll tubes to pick up what add up to being small changes at times. We will add different feet, cables, etc hoping for a change of any kind. I see this as the same way. If it doesn't change the sound to something I like then I'll sell it, it's why I usually buy used with items like this, I can sell it for close to what I bought it for.

5. TheVinylAddict

:biglaugh:Man did a bunch of non-family friendly responses well up in my twisted brain with that one....:D

You're baiting me.

6. CarmineRed

Had to make it something I could relate to since I'm married. ;) Just a tease!

7. TheVinylAddict

Me too (married). :)

I take the same approach you noted above with her too at times... (wine and dine, hopefully at the end of the night, etc, etc...)

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Now everyone, let's keep this thread on track. I had to reach out to the mighty Gorts and convince them that we'll play nice in here, and they agreed to open it back up. Especially when I started to read some posts showing that there is something going on in regards to measurements with the NCF opened up. I have to believe that someone is close to showing why many of us hear an improvement with this device plugged into our systems.

9. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Thanks to the mods for reopening this thread. I hate to think that an ill-choose comment by one person can totally shut down an entire thread for good.

jonwoody and motorstereo like this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

I sure hope the guy with a simple VOM can show us what Furetech can’t.

11. TheVinylAddict

I keep waiting, we got to a point in the thread and then heard uncharacteristically "I can't comment on SQ" Can't or won't? And the other person who had the "empty box" claim directly challenged then disappeared, no obligation to concede or object.

I really don't care, I'm not looking to purchase the product nor disparage anyone who has or hasn't - but if we're going to open the can of worms, don't stop short of putting it on a hook and catching a fish. I'm all ears... or maybe gills in this example, I dunno.

And that should be OK, isn't that why forums like this exist? And if it isn't what's the point? I guess at the end of the day, we're all anonymous and there's no obligation to accountability of opinion or claim. If we have to live under the specter that giving your opinion / findings will result in the discussion being terminated, or the person who made the product doesn't like the exposure, then what good is 75 pages of hurt feelings?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Glmoneydawg, CarmineRed and timind like this.
  12. Sam

It sure would be nice to have "measurable" proof, but I guess I'm asking for too much. Even with it, there will still be arguments. Oh well. As Gort Gary mentioned to me, he once had an amp that measured beautifully. Absolutely outstanding "measured" performance specifications. And-----wait for it-------it sounded like CRAP OLA. I won't name the brand as it could cause heartache from those who may still own it. I heard the amp he mentioned, and he wasn't wrong. Now why on earth with top measured specifications did it come across as shrill sounding? Some will say that it was an "honest" amp laying bare what was really on the recording. And that the other amps that sounded musical were actually adding euphonic distortions with poor specs. In the end, it's all about perception. What sounds pleasing to each of us is all that matters. We must all continue to use our own ears.

13. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

And that sums up audio in a nutshell well said Sam.

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Measurable proof that the item in question here was actually doing something/anything to the A/C would be nice. If the manufacturer can't provide proof though, there's probably none to be had.

As for the amp example, I've been using one of the best measuring amp's on the market today. It's also the best sounding amp I've owned, and I've owned a ton of amps.

Glmoneydawg, Shawn and TheVinylAddict like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

Do you have measurable proof that it sounds the best to you?? :cheers::help:

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  16. Sam

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that an amp has to measure poorly to sound great, but that the past has shown that great or poor measurements aren't the only criteria for what something will actually sound like. As for the NCF, I've always felt that Furutech has kept quiet on revealing all of the aspects of this product until a patent is secured. I could be wrong.

jonwoody likes this.
  17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I have all my components plugged into a surge protector power strip. Can I just by one of the Furutech units to go in between the strip and the AC outlet?

18. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

I don't mean to make trouble. But, do, please, examine that quote above, and think about it. I'm sure you'll all get there, eventually.

19. TheVinylAddict

If it measures well and sounds bad to you, you're clearly measuring the wrong thing. (or "it just needs another 400 hours of break in" :D)

If it measures poorly and sounds good to you, again you must be measuring the wrong thing. (break in no longer a factor though, because of course after break in it *always* gets better).

There's a common denominator there...

20. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes you can, and it will help.

But please, get that strip out of your system. If you can, buy a conditioner, not a strip. Even grab a Chang Lightspeed 3200 used, for less than $200.

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thank you. One problem I see is that the power cord on the Chang is 6 feet. My audio rack is approximately 13 feet from the nearest outlet. Any way to remedy that,? Would a higher grade extension cord be ok? Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

I always say, if it measures well, but sounds bad to you, you don't like the sound of gear that measures well. If something measures poorly, but sounds good to you, you like the sound of gear that measures poorly. :agree:

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

And if you're at a point where it's really all about the music anyway, and find yourself at the grocery store drumming on the cart handle to the music over the hi-fi, don't measure that or anything else and get back to what really matters.

... just had a Kumbaya moment I think... :)

timind likes this.
  24. TheVinylAddict

But back on topic of the thread :) I couldn't script a way to get 75 pages of material out of $250 plug in...

...hey, just had a thought though, wouldn't it be cool to also put an air freshener on this, like the Glade Plug-in's?

Dual duty baby, a three pointer, no foot on the line... :)

timind likes this.
  25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I've never measured any gear I listen to I just listen to it. It's always worked for me and I'm happy with the system that's resulted.

Djohm, inzite and TheVinylAddict like this.