Future of Classic Records??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heimska, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

My feeling on rare LPs is that the customer wanting to buy it is as rare as the LP itself.

JG

2. James Glennon

Originally Posted by Steve Hoffman
    Geez, I have five of them, baby needs new shoes.

Are you talking about the boxset or babies!

JG

3. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I am devastated if they are gone. Whilst the value may soar I would rather see them produce more titles. I was rarely diappointed. re LZ, I have all the titles on 33 rpm ( bar the TSRTS ) and generally listen to these discs. The flight case was an expensive indulgence with an eye to the future. If I was a proper investor I would never have opened it and held onto the packaging. Still it is now very rare and even if some sides have been played I think I would long term recoup expenditure. Classic were brilliant and one of the first to produce quality vinyl when it truly was on the way out and on its last legs. I hope this is just a stop gap to clear out the catalogue and maybe start with the clarity vinyl as a selling point. remember MoFi was lost and is now revitalised. Personally I think the market has been skewed and messed up by the entry of Back to Black, Music on Vinyl, and Friday Music who do not imo adhere to the standards of Classic, MoFi, and Speakers Corner.

4. James Glennon

I agree totally with you! You can add to that... Vinyl Lovers, Lilith and a lot of the titles on FourMenWithBeards.

JG

5. James Glennon

I have never bought an LP with an eye to the future. I just love to open that shrinkwrap and listen to the LP and makes comparison between originals (when I have them) and the reissues when I buy them. Haven't heard a reissue that betters the original yet. In saying that I have been disappointed with some originals having only been used to second or third pressings.

In defence of Classic Records I have read an awful lot of criticism on the forum about the quality of their vinyl. Maybe I have just been lucky but I haven't got one dud Classic Records LP in my collection regarding vinyl problems. Now sound quality that is a whole different ball game.

JG

6. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I received an email a couple of days ago from themusic.com advertising repressings of Classic Records Blue Note tiles. I didn't notice the price but it seems Classic is still in business and hopefully stay that way. They have released some real gems in the passed ie LZ, the Who, Big Star, Genesis, Peter Gabriel not mention lots of jazz and classical. I'd hate to see them close shop.

themusic.com seems to be associated with Classic Records. Anyone know if they are the old distributor or own or are owned by Classic?

I'll check the list price on the email and report back tonight.

7. blue

blue Mastering rules

Today I heard from one of the 3 big US dealers, that Classic Records is closed. Quite the same news from german insiders. damn :shake:

Hope this message doesn't cause a thread closing...

8. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

I hope they stick around. It doesn't sound good though. I got the same "Get them while you can" e-mail from MusicDirect. Didn't they say a couple years ago they had a deal with EMI that would have let them release Beatles titles?

10. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

They hinted at that. I think the only EMI titles to come out were Tull's Aqualung and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Me neither. I have all the Zep bar one and several other titles.

I kept looking at their release schedule and it did look a little bare but I figured they were just working on licensing issues and things would pick up.

I hope that is still the case. I think they are a quality outfit and I hope they remain.

Eddie

12. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I have about 30 of their LPs, all superb, no problems at all, and counted myself a big fan.

Yet I've just looked at their catalogue and there is nothing I haven't got that I want.
    The interesting releases have dried up, what happened to the EMI deal? and just far too much Jazz and Audiophile female vocals.`

Their Time Out will always be my number one dem disc and that's praise indeed.

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not so. Can you say "Ebay." Rare lps will find a customer if they are truly rare and sought after.

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

It's been pretty much impossible to restock Classic titles for the last year or so, which is a shame as they were consistently good sellers, but without a constant flow of titles, it's hard to keep a reissue label going.

15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I don't have any vinyl, but I've got about a dozen HDADs or DVD-Audios from them. They were the first hi-fi label I found when I started getting into hi-fi stuff a few years ago. I remember how happy I was to discover a label that did DVD-Audios...and did 'em right.

DVDA was drying up at that time and the major labels were producing things that I was suspect about actually being Hi-fi. Classic Records told you the sampling rate, the process used, master tapes etc.

Ironically, I was just listening to the HDAD of Gary Karr on the Double Bass. Great stuff. I hope they don't go away.

16. James Glennon

The Rolling Stones Mobile Fidelity Boxset is quoted as being worth £1,000.

I have consistently seen the Rolling Stones Boxset at a record fair, asking price 500 euros, still no takers 3 years later.

I saw a Nick Drake original pink rim at a record fair 2 weeks ago, asking price 140 euros, no takers.

Maybe on E-Bay people are prepared to pay 'mad' prices for an LP, but I don't think any bricks & mortar store will be able to sell LPs at that price.

JG

17. butch

butch Senior Member

Now Oldfield owns the rights to Tubular. Epic put it out here in America. So did Classic directly license it from EMI ?

18. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

My sources indicate that they are going out of business and the stock has been purchased. I haven't been able to find out why this is happening. I'll keep working on it.

19. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

People visit the store I work in and expect there to be the occasional pricing snafu. That's why they come. Reasonable prices sell within a couple of weeks. Stuff over $50, if recognized (big if there) goes online. We've had sales of $200 on in store items, but they're more likely to attract thieves than buyers. I've seen several Butcher covers at that and more sold. The philistines always, but always, have to peel a little bit of a top corner 'to make sure'. I've told them, but..

My answer to 'Where's all the good stuff?' is always 'You've got to come here every day or more often than that. It goes fast'. because it does.

20. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

No to add fuel to the fire of speculation, because I have no inside knowledge, but this email I got from Music Direct seemed to be implying something:

There are probably a lot of ways to interpret the above, but I know what the most obvious way is.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

But wait, a few weeks ago, when someone suggested they were going down, someone from Classic Records sent an email saying "we are OK" and everyone then came down on those who might have questioned their status.

Who are you going to believe: Distributors, or someone at the company with a vested interest in keeping the idea that the company is vital alive?

22. butch

butch Senior Member

From what I've heard one of the big audiophile catalog companies(who also own a boutique Audiophile label as well) will be buying the remaining stock. More information in the near future....

23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

What kind of service and shipping is offered at TheMusic.com which handles Classic Records? Their prices are still decent as of now.

24. James Glennon

I go along with that definitely, I used to check out the stores every day on my lunchbreak!

JG

25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

For the most part, you are quite right. "MOST" people who visit a bricks and mortar store will not be willing to spend $500 to $700 on the stones mofi box set. Why??? Because "MOST" people don't even know what mofi is or give a rats' *** about sound quality. They also don't appreciate (or care) how rare a particular piece may be. HOWEVER, with the world population as customers, one CAN find people who are knowledgable and passionate about all sorts of products, and are willing to bid accordingly. I don't view such bidding as "mad" as one other poster above has stated. It's just the GLOBAL marketplace at work. Great for sellers, but not the best for buyers IN TERMS OF PRICE. HOWEVER, in terms of what is available to the average ebayer, it is a godsend. Let me know when I can, at anytime, go down to my local record store and be able to purchase ANY mofi, DCC, box set, etc. Never has it been so easy to obtain even the rarest of items, all thanks to ebay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.