Future of Classic Records??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heimska, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If this goes much further, is there any option but to sell the Zeps on Ebay? Jeez.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

See, this is why I hate these guys. It's one thing to decide you're going to price your inventory as high as you can possibly can.

It's another thing to accept an order for in-stock merchandise (not a price mistake) then raise your price because you've decided the stuff is worth more and lie about why you've canceled the original order. Once someone does that, I'm done with them for life.

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

For what it is - a release from the tampered "masters" used to make that compliation - it's overall pretty well done. What they really should have released, but didn't, was the 78/10" version of THE VOICE OF FRANK SINATRA album, newly transferred from the disc masters on a 10" LP. The collection Classic put out has some, but not all the songs from that album.

4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I bought the 200g Super Vinyl Profile II (or whatever the last version was with the little sticker on the top of the sleeve) from Music Direct a year or so ago and it sounds fantastic. I had the original Classic 180g 2x12" Lp set (and the second 180g Quiex II version which I sold when I found a used copy of the aforementioned version, as they sounded the same) to compare and preferred the most recent 200g copy. I also have a clean original 6-eye stereo so I am not answering in vacuum. What doesn't sound right to the people you have talked to?

I have no affiliation with Classic Records but am a little taken aback with this comment, what do you mean?

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The latest Bill Smith pressings were really good. Classic seemed to get back on track after a couple dodgy years at RTI.

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The latest Bill Smith 'Hand Made' pressings were really good. Classic seemed to get back on track after a couple dodgy years at RTI.

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Hey, Eddie, that's some nice recon you did today (yesterday by the clock) at Classic's headquarters!

8. burnthatcandle

burnthatcandle Forum Resident

So, if Classic Records is still in business, what's their upcoming release line-up look like?

9. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

Investigative reporting at its best! You should receive a letter from the LA Times soon! :)

Thanks for your efforts, Eddie!

Empty?

I do not completely understand the situation, but I would not hold my breath...

10. beachbum

beachbum Active Member

Just got around to cleaning and playing the Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child Box Set. 3 of the 4 sleeves were riped on the sides right out the box. Side 1 is way off center as is Side 4. All in all the playback is very nice with the live 2 lps having some great Hendrix guitar work.
    If Classic is done for good i m going to miss them you have to love the amount of titles offered to us and except for a few like above and my Mananas which had some sort of white substance on both lps the quality was good.

Do any think that maybe another entrepreneur will give our love vinyl record production a go.

RIP Classic Records

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

This week, I got the 1812 overture for the regular $34 price from Musicdirect. I also grabbed Louis Armstrong's Satchmo for $35.

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I disagree. Many of the copies were there for you to buy when the lp was released by the reissue company. You chose not to buy. Now, years later when the lp (such as Classic Records Led Zeppelin, DCC vinyl, etc.) has been out of the loop for normal retail prices, you believe it to be unprofessional for a retailer to sell at higher prices. This is called supply and demand. If I choose to buy 10 sealed copies of a particular audiophile release, am I unethical when I can now sell those copies on ebay at 3 to 4 times the original asking price? NO! I took the chance with my investment. Chad or whoever took the chance with keeping boxes of sealed product in the back with the knowledge that these releases are only around for a limited time.

Bottom line is buy the titles you want EARLY when first released. Don't wait until things are out of print and then cry that the retailers (and private sellers) are hanging you out to dry.

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

:righton::righton::righton: Smart man---buy now or cry later.

14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

For those who do not have the Classic Record's pressing of the Who's "Quadraphonia" 200 gram pressing are missing out on a great sounding record. I'm glad I jumped early on that one. Soon after, they stopped pressing the 200 gram version. The sound on this pressing is out of this world. Best I've heard, and I compared it to the original US, Track and Japanese 100 (very close second) pressings.

15. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Or you could just buy them from MyMusicFix for like $1000 each! :)

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

LOL---yes---I've seen that guy on ebay. Is he for real? Who buys his stuff. Now, THAT'S scalping, but who in their right mind would really pay his prices?

17. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Don't be surprised when the "warehouse finds" keep popping up with some frequency. There's a lot of warehouse space in Kansas, but not that much. Mark my words.

18. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I have an opened Who Quadrophenia regular weight and a
    sealed 200 grams. Is the 200 grams any better than the regular one. Fremer always says heavy weight is better but what do Hoffman people think?

19. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

These webstores have every right to play the supply-and-demand game, but I wonder how smart it is in the long term. Sure, they make a few extra bucks in the short term. Is it worth turning off potential customers who take their business elsewhere? Are these stores ultimately shrinking their customer base for the sake of quick profits? I don't think it's a good business practice if they want to build up a loyal customer base and ultimately grow their business.

20. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

So what's the deal with TheMusic.com? I noticed that some of the contact information (phone numbers for the Groove Shop, Encore Shop and Gear Shop) has been removed. I have left voice mail messages and sent e-mails (both directly and through the web site) inquiring about the status of my pending orders, but nobody has responded. Has anyone actually had an order with TheMusic.com processed and shipped within the past week?

21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

From what has been said by those who have done a real live comparison, the 200 gram does sound better. Of course, it would be wise to adjust one's VTA to account for the size difference if you want to do a real critical listening test.

22. electric man

electric man Member

This is what bugs me about this company. Why put out two pressing of the same title, knowing that one is better than the other, this just makes people complain about quality.

23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Price. People wanted a cheaper record, so they ran off 150 gram versions, I believe. They sold well, from what I hear, but I always went for the 200 for potential resale value and sound.

24. electric man

electric man Member

I understand, I just think when the reviews come out and they say the 200 gram sounds better I have to think why even cut the 150 gram. I think quality and reasonable prices are very important to the longevity of any company, especially in these economic times.

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Elusive Disc did this with the Beatles, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.