Future Rolling Stones From The Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Great indeed. The Stones should do like Dylan and put out the whole '72 tour in a cheap looking box with almost no info. I'd buy three.

HTRL

2. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I listened to the first of those broadcasts at a friends house. Absolutely mesmerizing. I was ready, and recorded the 2nd broadcast (a few days later as I recall) on my Dad's reel to reel, through a Marantz 2220 receiver. Later, when I got a cassette deck, I made numerous cassettes for myself and friends. When those wore out, and after my father offloaded his reel to reel, quite a few years went by when I did not have access to the music. It was pre-internet and I was not aware of the vinyl boots.

I remember being elated to finally (and accidentally) find a CD boot- Headin' For An Overload, sometime in the mid 1980s. Later I picked up the Definitive Brussels set. HFAO sounds cleaner, but Brussels has nicer tonal balance. Of course nowadays, I have both of those, plus the official releases ripped to FLAC. And my aforementioned Japan vinyl.

Great stuff, and I agree it should be re-released.

Hep Alien and RocksOff87 like this.
  3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I don't know how many London shows there were in '73, but I have 1 crappy-SQ one that I treasure, but, again, SQ. Would love to see that one day. Brussels is awesome, but done.

HardTimesRoughLines likes this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

The version on Ladies And Gentlemen has no sax solo at all. The one on Brussels is fine...until it takes on a life of it's own.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

There were 4 shows in 3 days in London, Sept. 7-8-9, 1973, at Wembley Empire Pool.

A vintage Rolling Stone magazine article details the shows:

Stones in Europe: A Hearty Welcome After Two Long Years – Rolling Stone

Sean, TonyCzar, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yes, and given how good the Wembley Empire Pool version of Gimme Shelter is, I have always been curious about the rest of the show that it came from.

stewedandkeefed, tedg65 and Carl80 like this.
  7. signothetimes53

I have heard a bunch of the Fall '73 tour recordings, and have yet to hear one that wasn't smoking hot.

TonyCzar, melstapler, J_D__ and 3 others like this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The sax wasn’t Bobby Keys. Bobby knew his place, his role and not to over-blow, for lack of a better term. He gave a song just what it needed. He’s the only thing good about live versions of “Miss You” from 1982-2014, certainly not Darryl Jones’ bass solos, which were fun at first (Voodoo Lounge Uncut and Totally Stripped prove this point), but at some point became tedious quickly for me.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  9. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Downloaded the video from iTunes.
    IMO- Quality is crap. Mix is weak.
    Camera and directing is uninspired.
    They open with “Not Fade Away”!?! Ballsy move, but just doesn’t work.
    Sheryl Crowe on “Live With Me”. Ugh. (Mick must agree- he didn’t even give her the flowers)
    Mick rolls eyes and looks bored during “Satisfaction”
    Best I can say- Lisa looks hot! - even in SD.
    I doubt I’ll be revisiting this one anytime soon.

footlooseman likes this.
  10. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I saw a few shows on this tour and thought "Not Fae Away" has a tribal sound that fits Voodoo Lounge.

footlooseman and Oatsdad like this.
  11. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Unusually good....better to me than the studio version...Taylor REALLY shines on this one..

Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The camerawork/direction were limited because they were done "on the fly". This went out live, so the director had to make choices in real time - and he did fine, IMO. The show lacks the panache we'd get from something edited after the fact, but for a PPV, it's well done.

"Not Fade Away" worked better if you were actually at one of the "VL" shows...

Jack and superstar19 like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Weren't Hampton and Tokyo aired live on TV and look decently edited?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

The old radio broadcast bootlegs, featured on "Headin' for an Overload" among others in the modern era, include the following from Wembley 9/9/73 in stereo:
    Gimme Shelter
    Happy
    Heartbreaker
    Street Fighting Man
    and you can get two more in mono from "Back from the Graveyard" in mono:
    Dancing with Mr D
    Midnight Rambler (slightly worse quality)

Hep Alien, TonyCzar and maui jim like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Both were "edited live" but like Miami 1994, they're edited conservatively. I don't think their editing is better than Miami 1994's.

And I think the editing for all 3 is fine. None use the visual format as well as they could if not edited on the fly, but they're fine.

I have no issues with the Miami 1994 editing at all - it's perfectly acceptable given the nature of the project...

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Miami was re-edited from the original camera rushes, I think the others were too (at least partly) for these releases

17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

“Edited live” is not quite the proper term. A live show for TV has a director who calls the shots but the show is “switched” live. Then, if the individual camera feeds were recorded separately, a show can be re-edited differently than the live switch at a later date.

superstar19, TonyCzar and maui jim like this.
  18. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Does anyone have recent experience with the CDJapan vendor and offering? I’m nervous about their statement that there will be additional charges added, but there’s no way to see how much that will be, and once the order is placed there is no cancellation or refunds/return option. Also, in the 3 cd/1 dvd set, do any of you know the breakdown of how many discs = Marquee Club, and how many are BA?
    TIA!

19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Bought this when it first was offered. BA is 2 disc in its own fat boy

Shvartze Shabbos and WaterLemon like this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just bought the Beggar's Banquet 50th anniversary SACD from them and chose EMS for my delivery. I was really surprised how fast it made to the USA. From Japan to NM in just a few days.

Sean, WaterLemon and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

I bought it from CDJapan when it came out a couple of years ago.
    Marquee Club = 1 DVD + 1 CD in fatbox
    BA = 2CD in fat box
    Both fat boxes are packed in outer paper sleeve and wrapped with an OBI.

I do not know what additional charges could be in the US. You should check the US import regulations at custom service.
    In my case, local customs added 23% of value added tax on the total of the order and some charge for custom clearance. But this was for Portugal. The rules here are really stupid - every CD or DVD priced above 20 Euros is a subject of extra value added tax on the border and everything above 150 Euros is a subject of import duties (never faced that one, though). Mind that CDJapan do not modify the value of the order on the custom declaration slip on your request .

The US case should be different but you need to check.

You can possibly avoid some of these charges if you'll mark the purchase as a gift. But this does not work in many cases.

22. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I just checked there and the reason you’re seeing this statement is because this item is no longer available at their site so they’re offering to “Proxy Order” it for you, which I believe means they’ll try and get it from some other store and have it shipped to you, and that’s why they can’t tell you how much that will cost up front. (Wouldn’t know that until they found it somewhere.) I’ve ordered from CD Japan direct a bunch and they’re great, but have never used this new Proxy order because it’s so expensive.

Mark

23. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

24. signothetimes53

CD Japan offers the "Proxy" service as a courtesy to buyers who are looking for hard-to-find titles. I've never used their proxy service, but I have purchased a lot of CDs from them over the last 10 years, and never once had a problem with an order. I trust them, they have proven themselves time and time again to me and a lot of others here at this forum to be a superior company. I would expect their proxy charges would be fair, too.

Now, if you are really concerned about surprise charges, ebay has a ton of the Japanese box sets of Marquee/Brussels Affair, with the lowest price tag that I saw at $105, including shipping.

danielbravo, Curveboy and Mark Wilson like this.
  25. signothetimes53