Future Rolling Stones From The Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

No vinyl ??? That would be a shame.

2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Sounds good to me

Sean and All Down The Line like this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Wow. That’s wretched. Like someone doing karaoke...badly.

4. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Might have to import this one, I didn’t order the extra night at the Tokyo dome but will buy this release.

5. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I was so excited when this was announced because I saw them in Memphis only 10 days before (my first ever Stones show!) and they were ON FIRE.
    The San Jose show falls way flat of what I saw that night.
    I think the Stones felt that too, hence why it lay in the vault for 19 years.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Surely any show you watch on TV is going to be less thrilling than one you saw in person?

...and anyway, it’s catch 22 with these things - they only have in the vault what they have so if they have a good pro-shot show from a tour but don’t have recordings of ten better shows from the tour we either get the good show or nothing. I suspect they didn’t put in their best performances when they knew they were being videoed or filmed. Red light fever or whatever.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Voodoo Lounge in Japan is now available for pre-order from cdjapan.

The 2 SHM-CD + Blu-Ray is $73.47 Voodoo Lounge In Japan 1995 [Blu-ray + 2SHM-CD] The Rolling Stones Blu-ray
    The 2 SHM- CD + DVD is $64.29 Voodoo Lounge In Japan 1995 [DVD + 2SHM-CD] The Rolling Stones DVD

It also says this in the write up for the product.

Japan exclusive reissue. Features The Rolling Stones' concert held on March 12, 1995 at Tokyo Dome. Available as this format for the first time. Restored and remastered. Digipak packaging with a Blu-ray and two SHM-CD discs. Comes with a 20-page photo book.

I am assuming this means it is a Japan only release and no mention of any bonus audio content.

8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah it confirms on CD Japan it’s a Japanese release only when I looked before.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

Lol, OK, it's not the best live vocal he's ever done. But why did this gem get edited out?

10. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I believe they also played "Sweet Black Angel" at one of the Ft Worth shows too.

The live footage used in the C/S Blues was taken from, I believe, either The Forum or Winterland shows. Too bad it (the live footage and not necessarily the entire CS Blues film) wasn't added as a bonus to the Ladies & Gents dvd.

Dave Hoos, Sean, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  11. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

Yep I would like to see the music from CS Blues in high quality too. There's enough spare footage from various shows to make a decent bonus disk of L&G outtakes and clips from other shows: like the pro-shot version of JJF from Montreal and the Uptight/Satisfaction medley from one of the NYC shows.

12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Not to mention that in the modern era he nearly always gets the verses mixed up and trips up the backing singers!

13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I have a bootleg of the Memphis show and it is certainly much better than the San Jose one, so it’s not just the difference of having being there for me. I suspect you’re right about knowing they were being filmed putting them off their game.

Spadeygrove and Six Bachelors like this.
  14. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Also it was the last or second to last show of a very long tour, fatigue?

15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yes. Plus the San Jose show was a make up show for one that they postponed earlier in the tour. That may have effected the energy as well.

Sean, jumpinjulian and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Six Bachelors

That’s more like it. Seems odd they bothered to rehearse and play three non-standard ‘72 tour songs (this, Dead Flowers and Sweet Black Angel) then not include any of them in the film. Is Dead Flowers from Fort Worth in CS Blues or am I imagining that?

The band is excellent on the Rocks Off posted. The problem seems to be, as I read recently somewhere - here or on IORR - that the key of Rocks Off is all wrong for the vocals and Mick’s range. It seems too hard for him to sing in that key live.

BF2142, Lovecraft and footlooseman like this.
  17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

went to the last night as well and it was excellent though they probably were looking forward to the tour wrap party at the fairmont. sacramento was thrilling. fillmore would have been over the top

MRamble likes this.
  18. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Has it ever been speculated on just how much footage from CS Blues may have been left on the cutting room floor? I mean the concept was that cameras were just laying around waiting to be picked up and filmed. Judging by the footage used they were basically used throughout the entire tour, so there must be tons of stuff that didn't make the grade. I've always secretly hoped someone happened to have the camera point at the stage in Vancouver and may have captured some of the rarities the band played that night on film. You'd think being the first night of the tour the idea of using the cameras would have been fresh and exciting, much like the action on the stage so I hold out hope that some of it got shot and may someday see some form of release.

19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Haven’t operated film cameras in 1972, they weren’t machines that anyone could just pick up and operate. So I don’t think that concept has any basis in fact unless you can back that up with some documentation.

20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I saw a few No Security shows and the Chicago one the week before San Jose was pretty unremarkable compared to the ones earlier in the tour (of those, the only semi-dud was D.C., mainly due to the beltway crowd not really being able to get it up on a frigid Sunday night in early March - however, Boston, Hartford, and especially Philly were phenomenal). It was very good, just not stratospheric. Kind of like how I'd describe San Jose, actually.

I can't believe that was 20 years ago - damn!

MRamble, Sean, jumpinjulian and 3 others like this.
  21. Six Bachelors

When did the concept of the documentary come up? Was filming even taking place before the tour? It’s years since I’ve watched the film but I recall some footage that appears to be from before the tour started.

22. Wait, am I missing something? What’s exclusive? Is this vault release only available from Cd Japan or this will also be sold as a BR/CD combo in the states too (sans the SHM on the CD) in the regular online outlets?

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Japan retailers only. Just like the Paris 95 stand alone video, the extra night Tokyo 90 DVD and the 1982 LSTNT blu-ray.

laf848 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

“Dead flowers” is in L&G, from the Fort Worth Show, right?

“Torn and Frayed” and “Ventilator Blues” were played in Vancouver.

“It’s All Over Now” was played at the Nicauragua benefit in LA Jan 73 and in Honolulu that month as well.

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is there not MSG 25/07/72 live footage from Dick Cavett also?

Spadeygrove and BF2142 like this.