Future Rolling Stones From The Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Some additional footage was used in the Crossfire Hurricane Doco.

Spadeygrove and BF2142 like this.
  2. All Down The Line

Not odd in the slightest that they tryout "fringe" Exile cuts early in the tour to test them live.
    A couple did not pass muster so naturally are not even cosidered for the film.

Matthew Tate and Spadeygrove like this.
  3. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Not unlike testing "Tops" in 1981.

4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Oh. Of course. Sorry. That shows how long it has been. Oops!!

I wasn't talking about early in the tour. I know that they almost always tweaked the setlist after the first show or two or three. I was talking about the three songs they played only at Fort Worth (as far as we know) presumably in order that they be filmed as part of the L&G project. That was three weeks into the tour.

I was wrong about Dead Flowers being in CS Blues - it is, of course, in L&G. It's still a surprise to me that they specifically did that one for the filming but I guess they wanted footage of it, having played it throughout the '70 and '71 tours.. Even more surprising is that they did the other two - apparently - only in Fort Worth. I wonder what prompted them to want those to be filmed.

5. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

Yes, those three songs were specifically played because the shows were being filmed so I don't get why you'd cut them..apart from Sweet Black Angel which was pretty dreadful live.

Sweet Black Angel/Loving Cup/Torn 'n Frayed are here: Loving Cup and T 'n F are excellent imo.

Certainly to my mind, there are sufficient tour gems lying around to fill 1x CD of live tour audio and 1x DVD/blu ray of video. I live in hope.

6. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

Skip to 43 mins for the actual concert footage from MSG.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, since you mentioned “Dead Flowers”, we might as well watch it again. I am not sure there is another clip of the Stones that I love more than this one. Love the way Mick and Keith are smiling at each other, and Mick Taylor . . . just wow.

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

1. Encore: often none, sometimes "Honky Tonk Women", a few times "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" / "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
    Additional songs performed:

• "Loving Cup" (Vancouver, 3 June; both shows in Seattle, 4 June; Winterland in San Francisco, 8 June, second show)
    • "Ventilator Blues" (only on opening night in Vancouver, 3 June)
    • "Torn and Frayed" (only on opening night in Vancouver, 3 June)
    • "Dead Flowers" (only in Fort Worth, 24 June, first show)
    • "Sweet Black Angel" (only in Fort Worth, 24 June, first show)
    • "Don't Lie to Me" (only in Fort Worth, 24 June, second show

supermd, stef1205, Dave Hoos and 7 others like this.
  9. John Fell

It appears with will only be released in Japan.

Carl80 likes this.
  10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Only Japanese sites, Amazon Japan as well probably. Wont be sold in the UK or US.

Exclusive to Universal Japan.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  11. All Down The Line

I am surprised that they were not playing Dead Flowers as a regular on the STP tour.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The show that would be a true holy grail to discover in some long forgotten cans of film. Jagger in a turquoise blue jumpsuit, with his new short haircut and rhinestone headband. And a setlist to die for.

13. Wasn’t the Paris 95 stand alone included in the ‘Totally Stripped” deluxe set?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Was there ever a reason provided for why the Tokyo extra Japanese exclusive was released on DVD while the regular Tokyo 90 was Blu-ray?

15. Thanks, guys. Preordered from CD Japan. :tiphat:

noname74 and Carl80 like this.
  16. John Fell

No idea.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  17. John Fell

Yes, but the Japanese version came with audio cds of the show.

18. Ah, that’s right. Now I remember what the deal was.

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Never heard that "electrified" Sweet Black Angel before! The problem here isn't Mick, it's the arrangement (and the bootleg mix doesn't help).

Maybe this helps explain why MJ is always reluctant to join in the hosannas over Exile; it hasn't provided him with much reliable setlist ammo in the decades since.

Six Bachelors and BF2142 like this.
  20. All Down The Line

And as it is seen as Keith's triumph hence Mick being lukewarm at best about it for years.

ODShowtime and twicks like this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This Loving Cup is rough but has lots of promise. It only suffers from a few missteps here and there and some out-of-tune guitar. If they'd persisted with it throughout the tour it could have been a monster by the end.

They seem to be having a ball playing it and the footage is brilliant. You even get to see Mick prompting Keith on the lyrics in the final chorus. It is odd that they didn't include this song in the tour setlist, as @All Down The Line said. I can't believe they'd be tired of it. They'd only played it forty odd times. Maybe Mick Taylor didn't want to play it any more. His solo in the L&G version is a bit half-hearted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  22. All Down The Line

After first seeing the film in 82'/83' I assumed for many years that DF was a permanent 72' set list song!
    (Not least as it is a brilliant song they Must have liked but also probably their best ever country rock styled number.)

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe that’s part of it, but can’t be the main reason. Songs like “Ruby Tuesday” and “Angie” are viewed as “Keith songs” but Mick has included them regularly in their setlists for decades. One this for sure - Mick prefers hits.

24. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

And being a singer he probably prefers melodies as well. I love Exile but it’s probably more of a guitar/instrument album and for a singer at the time, it may’ve seemed like there wasn’t as much for him to work with compared to other albums.

Mark

Jack likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s probably part of it. Also, many of the songs on Exile (esp. side 2 “Torn & Frayed”, “Sweet Black Angel”, “Loving Cup”) are essentially dual leads with Keith singing high harmony. Unfortunately, Keith doesn’t have the voice he did in 1972.

BF2142 and Mark Wilson like this.