Future Rolling Stones From The Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Well, Mick has gotten really good at imitating Keith's harmonies over the years. They're all over those cleaned-up Exile bonus tracks.

2. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Forum Resident

One thing to note about the previous Tokyo Dome Japanese exclusive is that said releases were handled for Universal Music by Ward Records, who released all of the Stones' Eagle Rock releases (at least the ones also owned by Universal Music in Japan) until recently. Ward Records was often lockstep with Eagle Rock when it came to the same disc content (with the addition of Japanese subtitles for any dialogue in concerts), but not always. For example, the Sweet Summer Sun Blu-ray from Eagle Rock has 96/24 audio, while the same Blu-ray from Ward Records has 48/24 audio, but a much higher video bitrate.

As an aside, in the years since that 2013 release, I have only bought one or two more Japanese versions of concerts released by Eagle Rock in the West. One was again from Ward, and another was from Yamaha Music, and both of these Blu-rays were identical to their Eagle Rock versions, save for the Japanese subtitles. I did buy the San Jose '99 release from Universal Music Japan for the bonus tracks on the CDs (and the earlier release date, to boot), though again, the Blu-ray is identical in content and appears identical in audio and video bitrates to the Eagle Rock Blu-ray, allowing for the subtitles.

And it seems that, beginning with that 1999 concert, Universal Music Japan has taken over releasing the Stones' Eagle Rock videos in Japan directly, apparently not continuing to license them to Ward Records. In fact, they are actually re-issuing at least three Stones concert videos that were previously released by Ward in tandem with the forthcoming Voodoo Lounge in Japan release.

Perhaps UMJ will re-issue the previous Tokyo Dome Japanese exclusive, too, but I'd guess that if they do, they'll simply release it on DVD again.

3. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

It's such a shame as they're great tracks. Has T&F ever been played live? I'm sure their backing singers could fill in where Keith can't.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Torn and Frayed was played on the Licks tour

Sean, melstapler, Wright and 9 others like this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Iam talking albums not individual songs.

6. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Forum Resident

So this is interesting. In spite of what Universal Music Japan is claiming about this being exclusive to Japan, it did get classified by the German FSK ratings board (submitted by Eagle Rock) back in November 2018:

New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge In Japan

So, that makes me suspicious that a European and/or North American release is coming later.

Six Bachelors and MRamble like this.
  7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Anyone reckon that the Bridges To Babylon, Four Flicks and/or Biggest Bang sets will be re-released? I know Biggest Bang was re-released in a condensed form in 2009 but it seems nearly impossible to get now.

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

They will be soon. New contract with Universal.

9. Six Bachelors

Great. I can get Four Flicks and Biggest Bang for well over AUD$100 each but...yeah. I'd sooner wait.

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Check Discogs.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  11. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

See this PR from last year: The Rolling Stones And Universal Music Group Announce Unprecedented Partnership

Relevant para to your question: "Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned leading producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band's extensive long-form audio visual catalogue. As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989); Steel Wheels (1989-90); Voodoo Lounge (1994); Bridges to Babylon (1997-1998); Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006)."

Fingers crossed for complete shows on Blu Ray for Four Flicks and Bigger Bang :)

12. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I’d also love if they did CD companion releases. Not that I’m holding my breath...

Sean, melstapler, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  13. Six Bachelors

Ahhh, thank you. You know, I've seen that excerpt from the press release on here several times but the references to reissues of the BTB, FF and BB stuff didn't register. Apologies to everyone.

I'll have a lock. I suppose holding out for the reissues might backfire if the reissues have reduced content (like The Biggest Bang) as that might increase the price of the original editions.

footlooseman and BF2142 like this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What they really ought to do in Bigger Bang is include the original Japanese telecast of Saitama. It’s a great show, unedited and uncut - some songs a just a mess; the B-stage is chaos, with Keith and Ronnie spending a lot more time throwing picks into the audience and posing than playing. But it really captures the joy of being at the show. The Stones, loose and happy before the accident in fiji.

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Man, look at Keith throwing shapes and having fun. He would never be quite the same, eh?

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me - sorry to be that guy - what date the San Jose 1999 gig is from or is it culled from both nights in San Jose?

melstapler likes this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

April 19, 1999. The Japanese version has bonus tracks from the 2oth.

Sean, melstapler, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ok, so it's from night 1 - that means the soundboard of the 20th is not obsolete! :D

Thanks mate!

19. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Question for those who purchased the Japan only From The Vault Extra - Live In Japan 02/24/1990. Does the DVD + 2CD version come in the CD size case like the other releases or in a DVD case?

EDIT: I believe I answered my own question. It looks like a DVD case.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  20. granola

granola Forum Resident

Another teaser from Voodoo Lounge In Japan.

The Rolling Stones - Start Me Up (Excerpt) (1:34)

21. Six Bachelors

Is this from a multi-track audio source? Seems unlikely. Mick's vocal is way, way, way out front. Quite distracting.

melstapler likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Possible next vault release according to IORR Bridges to Bremen maybe with bonus Chicago material.

Satisfaction
    Let's Spend The Night Together
    Flip The Switch
    Gimme Shelter
    Anybody Seen My Baby
    Paint It Black
    Saint Of Me
    Out Of Control
    Memory Motel (web choice)
    Miss You
    -- Introductions --
    Thief In The Night (Keith)
    Wanna Hold You (Keith)
    It's Only Rock'n Roll (center stage)
    You Got Me Rocking (center stage)
    Like A Rolling Stone (center stage)
    Sympathy For The Devil
    Tumbling Dice
    Honky Tonk Women
    Start Me Up
    Jumping Jack Flash
    You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
    Brown Sugar (encore)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

laf848, Sean, Curveboy and 9 others like this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Well done.

melstapler and The MEZ like this.
  24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Cannot wait.

Opening night Chicago?

melstapler likes this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

YMMV, but I'm mentally tuning out here after Keith's numbers. Five+ in a row I'm highly unlikely to voluntarily listen to. A few of the Europe '98 boots were like that when I heard them fresh. I thought a few of them were an active mess, and I had not yet warmed to LARS at all, let alone having it take up valuable B-Stage time.

Bremen may have been particularly outstanding, though.

Now the Double Door show in Chicago, OTOH...That's discworthy.

All Down The Line likes this.