Future Rolling Stones From The Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Anything for me anything at all

Sean likes this.
  2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

One great show, 2006 Japan Super Arena Saitama. A great later day Stones performance.

Sean, Bullis, warewolf95 and 4 others like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

John, those are some excellent choices and hopefully they will surface in the near future.

As for other performances, I may take some flak for this, but here are a few ideas for shows which are of a good sound quality and could possibly be released on CD in the future.

August 24, 2003 at Twickenham Stadium London, England
    July 11, 2003 at Olympia Theater Paris, France
    January 18, 2003 at Madison Square Garden New York City, NY
    November 4, 2002 at Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
    June 8, 2003 at Circus Krone Munich, Germany
    October 22, 2006 Zilker Park Austin, TX
    February 18, 2006 Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

warewolf95 and Sean like this.
  4. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The January '98 MSG stand was the best I've ever heard them over the course of about 20 shows spanning '89-'12. Anything from the Bridges tour (especially after they got loose after a month or so) would be most welcome. And that includes the No Security '99 shows.

NastyHabits, warewolf95, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Amsterdam and Toronto seem to be reoccurring rumours.They may also be coming to the end of quality filmed shows pre Steel Wheels tour.Given that Leeds has basically the same set list as Hampton and house video film it would not have been a priority for release if other stuff existed.
    At some stage they will surely try out the From The Vault market with audio only releases.Brussels should be number 1 in this program.

6. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Would love to see the great Double Door '97 club show get a release. Wouldn't hurt to release more from the Licks tour since so many club gigs offered great rarities during that tour. The infamous never released '72 live album would be nice. A '94 show would also be nice in addition to any of the '95 shows that they ought to released---which includes the great Stripped TV special!

The Shepards Bush '99 show really would be amazing. I've seen audience shot material from the show and it's a great show in a pretty intimate venue. From the looks of it they apparently did have cameras rolling:

[​IMG]

7. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Holy smokes yes.

warewolf95 and Christopher B like this.
  8. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I'd love to see the Amsterdam 1995 show and the Shepard's Bush 1999 (unofficial recordings indicate they are hot shows). Atlantic City should be a no-brainer since it was PPV, plus a long show and good guests.

I attended San Jose 1999 which was the last US tour show that year, and also the Oakland show, which was the first show of the 1999 US tour. Oakland was fantastic, with 3 songs getting their first ever live debut: Moonlight Mile, Some Girls, and You Got the Silver. How about both on one Blu-Ray?

9. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, five tracks from the Roundhouse shows did appear on the recent Sticky Fingers Deluxe so it's safe to assume they recorded at least one of those shows if not both.
    And the old TMOQ bootleg reveals the band obviously had an "on" night. What would speak against releasing a standalone Roundhouse CD (aside of some superior consideration of the powers-that-be)?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    warewolf95 likes this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

This.

Mr. H and old school like this.
  11. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Well, the From the Vault series now lies in a deal with Eagle Vision, which is a video company. The audio is sold as complimentary, but not available on its own. The Stones still have a deal with Universal covering their audio only releases, new or catalogue. So two different companies, two different sets of criteria for release. Not to mention ABCKO, which would control the release of most anything pre-1971 (the video of Hyde Park '69 being an exception as it was filmed and owned by Grenada TV). So it's likely we will see pretty much only releases with a video component unless it's a major audio catalogue release, like Sticky Fingers deluxe.

warewolf95, Bunkweasal, Sean and 3 others like this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Exactly.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. John Fell

They only things I could think of against it would be lack of video or a similar set list as the the Leeds show.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yep - true but sad, of course.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. John Fell

New Jersey 1994 might also be possible but I don't know if video exists or not and St. Louis 1997.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. John Fell

The part of the show we have is is great though.

warewolf95, Swedgen and Dave Hoos like this.
  17. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Agreed. Live I'm not that interested past the 1970s, you can blame the Love You Live and Still Life albums for that.

Does anyone know what is considered to be the best show/s from the Some Girls Tour? Texas? That's probably what I'd want.

18. John Fell

Some Girls Live in Texas has already been released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Girls:_Live_in_Texas_'78

melstapler and warewolf95 like this.
  19. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

20. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Most of those are on Biggest Bang or Four Flicks so I can't see them appearing in the From The Vault series

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. John Fell

Most consider it one of the best if not the best. The set list was pretty much the same for the tour.

The played a cover of Hound Dog at the Memphis show and played Satisfaction and Street Fighting Man as an encore occasionally but the set list was basically the same for the entire tour.

warewolf95 and bluesbro like this.
  22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

The main problem with the BBC sessions is the sound quality. While some of the surviving tracks are very good to excellent sound quality, most are less so and while that doesn't bother me (you take what you can get with BBC sessions), I think that might pose a problem for the band's quality control. While the last couple of sessions survive in very good sound, they are in many ways the weaker performances. Plus money grabbing ABKCO won't get much in publishing money for all those covers.
    The two items that would be great are the BBC radio shows from 67 and 68 where members of the band play Satanic Majesties and Beggars albums while discussing the tracks - keith and mick for Beggars and perhaps more interestingly Mick , Brian and Charlie discussing Majesties with DJ Tommy Vance - those would make ideal bonus cuts on super deluxe releases. Problem being that would involve ABKcO, BBC and the tape owner negotiating which would be bound to end in tears. So I suppose the tapes will sit on a shelf till they disintegrate. hmmm.
    The reason I bang on about the Radio Luxembourg acetate so much is because many Radio Luxembourg sessions were actually well recorded though this is not reflected by the atrocious off airs due to radio interference. While all master tapes were destroyed, Bill has an acetate from the master with a full set recorded in March 1964 when the band really had their tihS together as a live act. As Radio Lux is defunct, the only obstacle would surely be to get Bill's permission and get a quality transfer of the disc which should be possible with those laser readers that read just below the surface. Has an awesome set list too - it's a no brainer.
    I'm not sure ABKCO would even need to be involved - I fail to see how it could have anything to do with them.

warewolf95 and Dave Hoos like this.
  23. John Fell

However, the cool part about the BBC recordings is that they played some songs that did not appear on their studio albums. I have a 2 cd bootleg of the BBC sessions and I am sure you probably compile the better sounding tracks into a single disc set. I have heard some officially released BBC tracks by other bands that sound worse that some of the tracks on my 2 cd bootleg.

It would be nice to have some early material in good sound quality.

warewolf95, Swedgen and Dave Hoos like this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'd love to have an official BBC sessions, sound problems and all. I also had no idea about the interview segments from 67/68; these should be included in such a set as well.

25. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Radio Luxembourg acetate rec March 18 1964 has (I believe) - Bye Bye Johnny/I Wanna Be Your Man/Diddley Daddy/Little By Little/Look What You've Done/Mona/Not Fade Away/Now I've Got A Witness/Pretty Thing/Walking The Dog/You Better Move On/Reelin and Rockin/Roll Over Beethoven/Route 66.

That's a pretty serious setlist in studio quality on an acetate.

As far as the BBC sessions go, I completely agree that they should be released in their entirety but it has to be remembered that there are unlikely to be any upgrades in sound quality. The various bootlegs are fab (despite a few show attribution errors) but for many tracks that's all there is tape-wise (unless someone can step forward) and I think that the good quality tracks were all broadcast on Stones At The Beeb iirc.
    Release them all i say - 2cds of BBC sessions, one with the Radio Luxembourg set and one each for the Satanic and Beggars BBC promotional shows.
    (Knowing ABKCO that would retail for somewhere in the region of the Bob Dylan Cutting Edge Box !).
    I don't see why ABKCO should get anything for such a set except for using the Beggars and Satanic cuts included in the radio shows but I don't know the terms of Klein's rip off I mean contract. From what I know of Klein I suspect that Brian was nominated by the others as the band member who would have to sacrifice himself under the terms of the contract which probably necessitated the soul of at least one band member.

Dave Hoos likes this.