GAIA do Magic.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Sep 21, 2018.

1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

See my earlier post here about a bad experience trying to get specific studs for my Viennas.

Based upon the glowing reviews in this thread, I decided to try again.

I called Music Direct. They special-ordered the studs I need from Isoacoustic, and for no extra cost. It took a little over a week for the special order. The GAIAs and studs will be delivered tomorrow (free Fedex delivery).

So, a year after I bought and returned my first set to Amazon, I'll get to actually try them out!

waterclocker likes this.
  2. dougotte

Fedex has been a little unreliable in this area lately. The delivery was a day late.

I installed the GAIA IIIs about an hour or so ago, so I don't have much listening time, but I do notice a substantial difference.

There is a much more open, airier soundstage. Instruments and vocals are much-better defined, and transients can be followed much better.

By the way, Stereophile lists this product in their Product of the Year Awards 2018 under Editors' Choices: "IsoAcoustics GAIA loudspeaker isolation feet ($400–$1120/set of eight, depending on size, reviewed by Robert Deutsch, February 2018 review)
    Do you own floorstanding loudspeakers whose sound you'd like to improve? If so, I have a recommendation: Install IsoAcoustics GAIAs, replacing whatever footers your speakers came with. In every instance I'm familiar with, the GAIAs produced a marked improvement in overall clarity. But to be on the safe side, buy them from a dealer with a good return policy.—Robert Deutsch"
    Read more at Stereophile's Products of 2018 Editors' Choices of 2018

Mintsauce and Claude Benshaul like this.
  3. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Just curious, how does the special studs from IsoAcoustics look? I have a pair of Gaia III's for my VA BBGSE, and since they only fit under the speakers and not the platform (making the speakers very wobbly) I special-ordered M6-M16 adapters from a CNC firm which work fine, but I didn't know that there were official ones. :)

4. dougotte

I'm not sure what you're asking. They look similar to the studs that are supplied w/ the GAIAs, just machined w/ the right threads on one end to fit my speakers. Anyway, once they're installed, you don't see the studs. They came in little plastic bags outside the GAIA boxes, and were labeled w/ the size (M10 1.5). Either Isoacoustics keeps stock of the more unusual sizes, or they custom-make them when they get a request.

Another good thing about the GAIAs is they seem to provide more sturdy support for my speakers than spikes. We have two acrobatic cats, and they love to jump on them.

Claude Benshaul likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just ordered a set of the Gaia IIIs from Music Direct. I was looking on the Music Direct site yesterday and they had an open box set of Gaia IIIs for $318.00. I'm pushing over the weight limit of 70 lbs. as my Salk HT2-TLs weigh 74 lbs. I sent IsoAcoustics an email a few weeks ago regarding the weight issue. They responded quickly and stated that the Gaia II would be the better choice but the Gaia III would work just fine. I've read the positive reviews for the Gaia here and from the audio press which has also been very positive. So I thought why not go for it especially with the open box reduced price. Look forward to getting them :).

waaguirr, Cliff and Done A Ton like this.
  6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I've had the GAIA II feet under my Classic for about a year. I highly recommend them. You can read my full review on Amazon under the GAIA II feet... I've since removed the chopping block after taking this pic. I did a lot of testing and my setup w/ GAIA feet and maple block removed was quietest (HW believes this was due to too much weight at the top of the rack and it makes sense).

[​IMG]

Tajo1960 and Done A Ton like this.
  7. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

There are new Isoacoustics Gaia "Titan" footers.
    They are more expensive, of course.
    I'm not sure what they are supposed to do better, but it looks like there might be additional isolation built in.
    I might upgrade from my Gaia 1's.

Take a look on Music Direct or The Cable Company- both have product pages for the new footer series of which there are 3 versions.

8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Titans are for even heavier speakers than the ones the Gaia I-III support.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks a good choice to be used for isolation and vibration an Oppo 205? How about any IsoAcoustic products for use with subwoofers?

IsoAcoustics - Iso-Pucks (Set of 2)

10. Josquin des Prez

Or try the Orea isolators. You can use just three under components.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Bill Mac likes this.
  11. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

The Indigos work fantastic under my turntable, and I am considering the Gaia III's for my Golden Ear Triton Two's. That's after I get a second Audio Technica ART9 cartridge!
    Cheers, Doug

12. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Aha - thanks for pointing out the weight guidance for the Titan's.

13. putz

putz Forum Resident

I have the Gaia IIs on my HT3s. With only 3 feet on them, no way I could swing the GAIA3s weight wise. Make sure you get the right threads for your Salks. I had Jim confirm the right size as they were not the ones that come in the box. Also had to sell the 2 leftover Gaias so I found another guy who also had 3 footer speakers. Win win.

You won't be disappointed.

I also have Indigos under my components, Gaia 3s on my Amp and Aperta 300 under my Salk center channel. So yeah I like 'em.

btw--My writeup of the Isos was the one Thomaskong linked to in his initial post. They're a great, affordable product and good to see that others here are figuring that out.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had time today to install the Gaia IIIs on my Salk HT2-TLs. I'm glad I waited till time was not a concern as it took awhile to install them and set the speakers in place. Installing the Gaia IIIs with the logo facing forward, level (all four) and making sure they were tight is a challenge IMO. Once installed standing the speakers upright and moving them in place on a pine floor was the real challenge. Once upright the Gaia IIIs form a suction to the floor so moving them is tedious at best. But I got smart with the second speaker and put a towel on the floor then stood the speaker up. With the towel under the speaker I could slide the speaker in place and measure the distance from my rack and the toe in off the front wall. When in place I tipped the speaker so one side was still stuck in place and pull the towel out. Did the same for the other side and it was much easier than the first speaker.

The first disc I played was Patricia Barber's Verse MFSL SACD which is my go to reference disc. Verse is an outstanding album and the SACD sounds incredible. The first thing that stood out was how tight and accurate the bass was. No vibrations any where in the room due to the way the Gaia IIIs isolate the speakers from the floor. The overall SQ is improved with a wider soundstage and better separation. The differences are subtle and not the proverbial "night and day" or a "blanket was removed from my speakers". Now Art Pepper's So In Love APO SACD is playing and it sounds excellent as well. So far I feel the investment was well worth it :).

Now I have to consider what IsoAcoustics product would be good for my Rythmik F12SE subs and Oppo 205. I'll definitely will go with something affordable like the Orea or Iso-Pucks. I'll contact IsoAcoustics to see what they think.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Kyhl and Josquin des Prez like this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

That's similar to my experience putting the Gaia II on my Confidence speakers. I feel your pain moving them around. My speakers are 90 lbs each, so I have to sort of walk them around to make adjustments, but I mostly have them dialed in now anyway. I hard the same sonic improvements you did. While I wouldn't say they are transformative, I would say that for em they were more than subtle. They really helped a lot to focus the soundstage and get a grip on bass response.

I am experimenting with the Gaia III and Orea Indigo as feet for my turntable. That provides the same sorts of improvements to SQ. I'm going to install a new tonearm in the next couple days (it arrived this afternoon). After that I will decide whether to keep using the Gaia or the Orea for it. I have Naim Fraim shelves, so I don't really need isolation pucks for other components.

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Dialing in those Gaia feet was harder than I expected. Couldn't get the second nut (the one closest to the speakers) to lock most of the time! I must have been doing something simple, wrong.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Dynaudio Confidence series is an outstanding speaker line without a doubt. I had Focus 140s then moved up to the C1 but my room was not big enough for proper placement.

Could I use four Orea (Bronze) or Iso-Pucks so that the 205's stock feet sit on them?
    I found the locking washers on the Gaia IIIs to be a poor design. I think they would work better if they were designed so a low profile wrench could be used to tighten them. There really is no way to turn the washers with your fingers as there isn't enough room. I played with the washers till everything lined up (logo placement and height). So that as I screwed the feet into the HT2-TLs plinths they tightened without having to turn the locking washers.

18. Josquin des Prez

I am using a set of three Orea under my TT. I just put them under the existing feet of the TT (sans the spikes that are normally there). I mounted my new tonearm last night so now I'll start to compare the Orea and Gaia for my TT and decide which to keep.

isoAcoustics told me they are changing to a regular nut instead of the thumbscrew, not that it helps us any.

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for that information. I'd be curious as to which you prefer.
    That's good to know that IsoAcoustics realized that a change was needed. It might be helpful as those that wish to swap out the thumb screws for locking nuts could request them. I would but to go through the whole installation and speaker location process again might not be worth it.

20. Josquin des Prez

I think it's going to be down to preference. The Orea look better sitting under my TT. They match the TT's aesthetic more. However, they don't attach, so every time I move the table I have to deal with repositioning the feet. The Gaia, OTOH, screw in to the bottom of the TT: set 'em and forget 'em. They look cool enough, but don't match the aesthetic as well.

jgrillo and Bill Mac like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I can relate to that :).

22. Silly question (1 that it seems they should address on their website clearly)

When they list the weight capacity for a given model - say the GAIA I at 220 pounds/100 kg - is that per device or for a set? If so, a set of 4? (I ASSUME that most speakers would need 4, but.......)

In other words, a set of 4 GAIA I would support a speaker up to 880 pounds, or a speaker of 220 pounds?

23. Josquin des Prez

Yes, it's for a set of four. For example, I had to use the Gaia II rather than the less expensive Gaia III because my speakers are 88 lbs. Gaia III are limited to 70 lbs.

If your speakers are even heavier the Gaia Titans are coming out soon and can support something like 660 lbs.

24. Well that su...... errrrr, isn't good. Guess my budget would have to go up a bit if I were interested in them. My speakers are in the 150 pound each range.

2 sets of GAIA I for around $1200. Have to think long and hard about that one.

25. dougotte

Now I'm thinking about the Indigo Bronze for my turntable as well. It weighs 8kg, so 3 of the Bronze (8 lbs capacity, each) should be plenty.

Am I wrong that vibration control is more helpful for a turntable with more sensitive moving parts, or do you think it's also beneficial for an SACD player, preamp, and amp? Thanks.