GAIA do Magic.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Would a set of IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks be a good choice for use with a Thorens TD-145 turntable? I'm looking to get some form of isolation but would like to keep the cost down.

2. t3chnobrat

t3chnobrat Forum Resident

I'm curious too. I was going to get a set for my TT and then a deal came along for a Gingko Cloud 10 that was cheaper so I just went that route. How heavy is the Thorens?

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I used a set of Oreas and they worked very well. In the end I stepped up to to set of HRS (Harmonic Resolution Systems) Nimbus pucks. They are about twice the cost but had a little bit of an edge on the SQ improvement for me.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Bill Mac likes this.
  4. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I bought two pairs of IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze isolators for my Thorens TD-160 Super Reproduction and noticed a significant improvement in sound quality and bass reproduction. Everything sounded just a bit sharper and more in focus, if that makes sense.

My understanding is the Oreas are more specifically targeted to different weight ranges (the Bronze,and Indigo, and Bordeaux are designed for increasingly heavy loads, while the Iso-Pucks are one-size-fits most) and use a higher quality finish (snazzy stainless steel) but are otherwise similar to the Iso-Pucks.

If you don't want to lay out the cash for the Orea Bronzes, I think you'd be happy with the Iso-Pucks.

LeeS and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you all for your thoughts :)! I'll definitely go with the Iso-Pucks to save a few bucks. I did the same thing when I bought a set of the Gaia IIIs. I got an open box set for $320 saving $80 over new. The weight of my Salk HT2-TLs were pushing the weight limits but the Gaia IIs were $600. I contacted IsoAcoustics and they said the Gaia IIIs would work fine but the Gaia IIs would be better. The Gaia IIIs made a nice improvement in SQ over the standard spikes. Well worth the expense IMO.

chipcalzada and t3chnobrat like this.
  6. PopularChuck

I installed a set of Gaia IIIs on my Spendor D7 speakers and was amazed at the improvement. I think you'll be happy with the Iso-Pucks.

t3chnobrat and Bill Mac like this.
  7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Added Orea Bronze feet under my PS Audio Memory Player. Nice improvement!

thomaskong likes this.
  8. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Gaia IIIs on the way.

9. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Can you use the gaia's on a floor standing speaker on carpet?

I have Martin logan oddysey's spiked through the carpet to cement floor. I noticed the 2nd respondent used the gaia's with martin logans with great results.

10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

They make carpet spikes to put under the Gaias. IsoAcoustics - GAIA Carpet Spikes (Set of 4) | Shop Music Direct

11. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I am thinking about getting the Gaia IIIs for my D7s as well. Reassuring to hear you are happy with them.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

can you let us know what surface your D7 spikes were resting on and what your sub floor is made of?

13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I'm looking at a set of the Gaia IIIs to put under my Garrard 401's plinth.

14. PopularChuck

Spikes were resting on plastic furniture cups sitting on genuine oak planks over plywood on redwood joists. (Northern California house built in 1922.)

Ezd likes this.
  15. PopularChuck

I added the same Oreas under my Thorens turntable with excellent results.

LeeS likes this.
  16. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I have the Oreas Indigo under my table and I finally have my end game for isolation.
    Cheers, Doug

LeeS likes this.
  17. alpentalic

alpentalic Well-Known Member

GAIA 3 so far a nice upgrade for my floorstanders on old suspended wood floors. Currently have my sub on the hearth as it’s the only place that does not shake the hell out of the joint. Best sound I’ve achieved so far. Anyone able to place a sub on springy wood floors using gaia or other solutions.

18. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Isoacoustics makes a stand just for subs

19. td19

td19 Forum Resident

Gaia III now under my Vinylista/401 .... noticeable improvement, this from a tweak sceptic. Threads matched which made installation easy.

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. t3chnobrat

100% with ya. I'm skeptical about most tweaks as well. I don't understand how these work so well. When I added an Aperta under my center channel it made dialogue much clearer. I was going to get the unit for my JL sub.. but I just use it for home theater, it's on a solid floor, and it already slams so I didn't really see the point.

21. t3chnobrat

What were the changes that you noticed with using the Gaia on your TT? I've got a love/hate with my Cloud 10 isolation platform.

22. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have some GAIA IIIs on the way for my Kef R500 speakers. They sit on a low pile carpet which is pretty hard underfoot and I would imagine with the weight of the speakers that the GAIAs will sit fairly even and flat. Would people still recommend getting the optional floor spikes?

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Do you know what the thread size of the Vinylista plinth feet are?

I consider upgrading the feet all the time, but can never find the right size and then forget about it.

24. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Since I spent $120 for eight floor spikes, so should you. :realmad:

xfilian likes this.
  25. Girardian

Girardian Member

Quick question on the IsoPucks - they are rated @ 20 lbs. / ea. -- these are $120 for a set of 4 . From "performance charts" on the IsoAcoustics website (http://www.isoacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/OREA-series-performance-curve.png) it would seem these are the "best bet" for even *lightweight* components (like my 22 lb. CDP) vs. the more expensive Orea series (in fact, by weight these site between the 16 lb. Indigo and the 32 lb. bordeaux).

Presumably there is no reason to buy the more expensive Orea series. Or am I missing something here re: a lighter component performing better on a base designed to handle lighter weight? (I understand the pucks are lower price pro gear with the same tech as the home audio gear).