Game of Thrones Discussion: Uncut! (Spoilers welcome)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tristero, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Right, I was responding to the person who asked if that scene was also part of Bran's vision.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Not strong enough yet. Winter is coming, it's getting colder and colder so their power is growing.

My guess, of course.

xdawg likes this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I read the books some time ago, and it seems that we are well beyond anything in the books at this point, no? I also recall--without creating a spoiler here- that a plot line has been eliminated (or at least deferred) regarding one character from earlier seasons.

I think in some ways the HBO series is now moving along better; the books seemed to have a lot of detours and side plots that served to defer resolution of more major story themes. If I recall, book 4 was almost entirely made up of collateral stuff. The final episode of this latest season was pretty satisfying if you are into to pay-back.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

These last 2 episodes were great.

Molly Tune likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any thoughts on Game Of Thrones prequel in 2020 ?

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I can't even begin to wrap my head around that until the original story is finished being told. Then...I can allow myself to be open to what happened earlier.

7. alexpop

Thought the story was told in the books ?

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

The series of novels is still unfinished.

L.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

So I guess their postponing the novels till HBO season 8 is shown 2018/19 ?

10. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

No. Martin is just writing the last two novels very, very slowly (maybe he's stuck and can't get on with it, who knows?). The plotting of the show has already passed the events of the last published novel, and the producers are working from a plot sketch that Martin gave them early on in the process.

L.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Whatever that has been written and published, is pretty much what we've seen in the show.

I personally don't think he'll ever finish the story. What incentive would he have if everyone already has watched the story end?

And there are as many as five different proposed prequel to HBO. Only one penned by Martin. Who knows what they'll be for sure. But Robert's rebellion against the Mad King would be where I would personally start.

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Haters gonna hate.

I liked S08 & the finale.

13. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Here is some food for thought Yara Greyjoy saying that Danny freed them from a tyrant. Did she though? Euron was a nutter to be sure but a tyrant? There wasn't a lot of evidence of that. Not to mention the guy was more or less democratically elected by his countrymen which is an idea their council mostly laughed at. And based on where Danny was at it seems to me she'd have ridden her Dragon over to the Iron Islands to have them bend the knee before long anyway.

Their trial where Jon Snow aka Aegon Targaryen wasn't so much as allowed to appear much less defend himself was a bit of a farce as well.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Cersei was the tyrant, I thought. You're correct about the rest though; Dany was fully prepared to burn anyone who didn't kneel. Hence the irony in Cersei being labeled such.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL, maybe Martin will wind up with a different ending...

16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Maybe. More likely he'll end it more or less the same way, but he'll get there a lot differently.

L.

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Part of the genius of the show is how it took characters that were portrayed as pure evil, and then showed you their humanity, and visa versa. You saw characters that you thought were ethical and respectable commit atrocities. And then it made those atrocities seem mild by showing you much worse atrocities. Theon is a good example of this. He seemed like a respectable fellow, if a little young and foolish. Then he basically storms his childhood home, and murders the old and young alike. But a bit like "Oldboy" he encounters someone capable of far greater evil. And by the end Theon is "branded" (pun intended) a good man. Brilliant show in that regard.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

probably...but I'd like it if he didn't.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I was Team Cersei for one season, the one in which she was pitted against the Sparrows. I despised the Sparrows, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend, so I found myself in Cersei’s corner. But once Cersei disposed of the Sparrows, I left Cersei’s corner.

Truth be told, Cersei may have been villainous, but she wasn’t the monster that Joffrey and Ramsey were.

20. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

yeah, she only
    - ordered the murder of her husband (which was also high treason) and most of his bastard children, including a baby;
    - ordered the slaughter of an innocent dog;
    - ordered the murder of the high septon;
    - ordered torture;
    - suborned perjury;
    - ordered the murder of her brothers;
    - tried to frame multiple people;
    - abetted the attempted murder of a small boy and helped cover up the crime;
    - regularly engaged in incest.

No biggie.

Michael likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Interesting. It’s as if I didn’t refer to her as “villainous.”

22. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I thought baby killers qualified as monsters. I guess that's just me. But if you only meant to imply that Joffery and Ramsey were more evil than Cersei, I can't argue. I'm also salty because I feel Cersei got off way to easy in the end.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Encuentro likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Yeah....but...the Sparrows were her own damn fault!

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She killed a baby? Are you referring to Bran? If so, Jamie pushed him from the tower, which, of course, would make him a monster as well. Jon Snow executed a child, making him a monster. Eddard Stark beheaded a man and forced his children to watch. Pretty monstrous by the standards you seem to be setting for these characters. It would be easier to list characters who are not guilty of crimes that would be deemed monstrous if they were committed in the real world than it would be to list characters who are guilty of such crimes.

And did you really list suborning perjury as an example of her dastardly deeds? That’s a bit of a stretch, don’t you think?

And are you forgetting that this is a fantasy television series, not real life? Is it really necessary to hold characters at war in a fantasy series to the same standards that you would hold people to in the real world?

Regarding getting off easy, I’m not sure that that’s true. She was devastated by what was taking place, crying to Jamie that she didn’t want to die, that she didn’t want their child to die. She knew it was over, that she lost, that her family lost. The only easy part, as far as I can tell, is that she died in Jamie’s arms.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

...and blew up a church full of people, including her in-laws and members of her own family.

vince and Blender like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.