Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I believe I read an Arya sequel is definitely NOT in the cards. A movie? Possibly, but do what with it? I think it was left as about as good as you’re going to do. *

*Excepting Martin’s brilliant ending he’ll never write in the final two (un)books.

Chris from Chicago and vince like this.
  2. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

You know, when you answer your own question perfectly, it doesn’t leave a lot of room for further conversation. Nicely asked and answered.

(I don’t think I have ever had a more shocking reading experience than the Red Wedding.)

GodShifter and neo123 like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah no offense to the GOT cast but, if GRRM isn't involved its a hard pass from me anyway

GodShifter likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

To touch on just this one, while I agree that Visery had a gruesome death, he was dead within seconds. Ramsay's death was far worse as that might have taken minutes (which he sure deserved).

The beheadings are all brutal, but at least that is instant death.

I have to think anyone burned alive by the dragons had a gruesome death as well. That would be a tough way to go out.

And poor Theon had a fate worse than death. :( :(

neo123 and GodShifter like this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

And then there's the hound, who wanted to die after Brienne was through with him.

[​IMG]

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Seems like death by dragon fire was almost like being vaporized. It doesn’t seem like there was much pain there if you were in the direct line of fire (if you will).

Mance Rayder’s would have been grim if not for Jon. Shireen’s was probably awful. Maybe Ramsay got his trachea torn out and died in seconds. Burning to death takes minutes.

George Co-Stanza, Deesky and neo123 like this.
  7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I didn't consider Stannis' daughter since she really wasn't a main player or a recurring character who had a real impact on the outcome of a story. But her death was indeed very gruesome.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ah, you did say main characters. My bad.

I need to exit stage left as I said this morning. I think I’ve run my course here.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yup, especially when you consider all that castle masonry instantly exploding on contact with the flames!

GodShifter likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I try not to think of Stannis' daughter as that was truly horrifying. There are a handful of scenes from the show I refuse to re-watch, and that is one of them.

11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I was someone that rather enjoyed the final episode. But I've had time to think about things. And ask questions. And while nothing could ruin the show overall. It needed more dialogue. More set up. It needs to breathe a little more. These... even without GRRM... were achievable. Damn shame

robertawillisjr, vince and GodShifter like this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Given that the dialog was the worst thing about the past two episodes, I think this is a spectacularly bad idea. What sort of conversations do you want? Jon explains to Daeny why he's plunging the dagger? Tyrion extending his overbearing soliloquies for a few more minutes? The awkward moment when Greyworm realizes what Jon did, and tries to string a few words together in English? We already know the characters and what motivates them. For the final two episodes it's about deeds, not words. The visuals more than suffice.

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Arya's little friend Mycah the butcher's son

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

No. The visuals more than suffice... for you. What started out as a smartly written dialogue driven story... ended up as an action explosion show. Please don't suggest what you think would work best for me. You like it. I'm glad. I think they stopped telling us a story. And started showing us a graphic novel.

rd1, Deesky, Scotian and 1 other person like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not a main character. If go by this, then all the people in King’s Landing.

Main character? Probably Ned Stark.

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I have never read the books and The Red Wedding was the most shocking episode to me.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Maybe they could do some mini-episodes for the box set release. That could be interesting just to clear up some things left hanging. Much more reasonable than expecting them to remake the whole season.

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

"significant number"? There was a handful.

The maths with the Dothraki and Unsullied is just ********.

20. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

Before leaving this thread I feel the need to defend the term “lazy writing” that I and others used to explain our dissatisfaction with this season.

In writing classes I took in College the term “lazy writing” was a critical term used by professors and students to describe a situation, emotional state, story line etc. that they as readers of the material did not think was earned through dialog, exposition, character development etc.. This makes it somewhat of a subjective term based the reader’s perspective which is why we have some people in the “lazy writing” camp and others vigorously defending the writing this season.

The problem with many that are not in the “lazy writing” camp is that they usually included in their defense that those of us in the “lazy writing” camp either did not like the ending or don’t understand the genre. That criticism just misses the point of why we used (in my case and others) the term “lazy writing” to say that in our opinion the characters, situations etc used this season were (in our opinion) not earned by the writing.

My (most others I seen here) basis for reaching this opinion was not based on my thoughts on how I wanted it to end or my understanding of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre. My opinion was formed based on the previous writing standards set by the writers in the previous seasons and that in my opinion this Final season did not rise to those previous standards.

I have seen various opinions as to why many felt the writing was not at the level of the previous seasons but there is even a certain level of subjectivity involved in that process. In any case the reason is not important and does reflect in most cases a dislike for the what was told in the story but HOW the story was told.

Jtycho, SRC, P(orF) and 2 others like this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"That's just lazy writing." @0:33

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Most satisfying?

Joffrey for me, without a doubt.

Most deserved?

Ramsay Bolton.

Most undeserved?

Doran Martell. Seemed to be the only Martell trying to actually make peace. And the Sand Snakes beef with him for not "avenging" Oberyn was b.s - Oberyn was killed in a lawful duel because of his showboating.

Most gruesome?

Ros. While we didn't see it, the final image seemed to indicate Joffrey had her tied up and then shot her over and over with his crossbow until she eventually bled out.

Most heroic?

I'll go with Barristan Selmy who gave himself up taking on a group of Sons Of The Harpy allowing a badly wounded Greyworm to escape.

Most shocking

The Red Wedding, sure. Though Ned Stark was equally a surprise to me. Not having read the books, I was completely shocked when the character who I assumed to be the hero of the show was beheaded in season 1.

vince likes this.
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

This is actually a very helpful explanation.

While I'm college educated, I don't recall lazy writing as being a term (although I was far from an English major). Taken at face value without understanding what lazy writing actually means, you can totally see why many might make the assumptions you describe. I can also see how the use of the term could be construed as being a "lazy" attack on the show's writers.

With the clarity you provided, I couldn't agree more with applying lazy writing to the closing of GoT. Regardless, I still liked season 8 well enough, probably more than many but can still see that the ending could have been so much more satisfying if they would have added a mere 200 more minutes to the series (four 50 minute episodes) to help flesh things out.

EwaWoowa, Wolverine 05 and SRC like this.
  24. misterdecibel

Not a main character, but that event and how it was handled was the first sign that things were going to go horribly wrong. If Ned had turned around and marched his family and himself right back to Winterfell at that moment, a whole lot of tsuris would have been prevented.

And we wouldn't have a story.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. misterdecibel

Well, as it turns out, it was more than half...