Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Anyone posted that Shatner "Get a life" clip regarding this petition yet?

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

I really hope this calms down for me now

marmalade166 likes this.
  4. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Just a question to fans of the show. Will the let downs of the past 2 seasons ruin your consideration of Game of Thrones being one of the greatest tv shows of all time? Twin Peaks to many is considered to be one of the greats and people forgave the second season because the first season was quite groundbreaking for tv during the early 90s. Sopranos too is remembered as great even though the mid seasons were not up to par with the earlier ones and that open ended ending let many not satisfied.

I myself maybe would give it a pass because of how amazing I thought the first 4 seasons were

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

What let downs? The last two seasons were great, partially because there was not much need for the character dev that was the hallmark of the first 4 seasons. Definitely GoT is the best fantasy or sci fi show on TV and should go down as such. I do think HBO produced one or two better shows. Sopranos remains my favorite.

6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. There was no letdown. The last two seasons were good. Sure, a great ending would have been nice, but the good one we got sufficed, IMO.

GregM likes this.
  7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

No letdown for us. We started watching about a year ago and averaged 2 or 3 episodes a week, taking a Better Call Saul break about halfway through. Maybe we don't see the issue because we only had about a year invested and we watched basically at our own pace.

Frankly there were stretches where there wasn't much happening other than dialogue, intrigue and character development which was fine, but we really enjoyed the big action sequences. The BotB, the loot train attack and the fall of Kings Landing to name a few.

I would rank GoT as probably the best TV series ever made, all things considered.

GregM likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've already forgotten about this show.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

:laugh:

i think we can close the thread now!

andrewskyDE, GodShifter and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

not on my account! ; )

11. daniel peterson

daniel peterson Forum Resident

Does anybody know anything more about the prequel than that they are shooting the first pilot in June?

12. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

I will say, I was hoping for more depth from what happened, but I started reading the books in college in 98. I think I enjoyed the first seasons because I could fill in the blanks and provide the back fill, where these last few I could not. So with that they felt much more hollow

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"NOT ON MY (night's) WATCH!"

Michael likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's difficult to compare radically different genres but I think Breaking Bad tops GOT in my opinion.

The early GOT seasons clearly suffered from a lack of budget to really do the story justice. I much preferred the last four seasons where they could actually do things like Battle of the Bastards and Hardhome, and I did like the last season up to the final episode which was not great.

It's a fantastic achievement overall and a real treat for fans of this type of stuff.

Veech and GregM like this.
  16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Decent entertainment but I don’t rate GOT anywhere near Sopranos or Twin Peaks.

musicalbeds likes this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Can't agree with you about Breaking Bad being better, but it's refreshing to see someone who likes the later seasons more than the earlier ones. I think a case can be made either way.

It will be good to barrel through all 8 seasons when the box comes out. The ending really reminded me of Mad Men, which covered each main character in a brief vignette that was almost like a Truffaut ending.

18. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

I am interested in what they will do with The Golden Compass next

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. I felt that the first two seasons spent too much time on graphic sex scenes. If it serves the drama, that’s fine but most seemed to be in there to remind people it wasn’t network TV.

Jim B. likes this.
  20. It will,certainly improve on the heavily compromised film

snowrs likes this.
  21. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Whatever I think about the rest of the series, I’m disappointed that they dispensed with Ros so early.​

Leviethan, agentalbert and vince like this.
  22. Michael

Indeed!

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved the Golden Compass books reading them many times.

Haven't heard about a series.

24. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Here ya go...

tommy-thewho likes this.
  25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Another possibility is the fact that Drogon didn't kill the one who killed his master. Certainly the Dothraki would have wondered why, and they also would've remembered that Jon was the only other human who flew on a dragon. Anyone else would have been turned into instant toast for even attempting.

In other words, they may have feared repercussions from Drogon if they killed Jon. There was no guarantee that Drogon was not going to return.