Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Somebody’s out there somewhere ...

Band?

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Good Triumph song.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Moodies.

But still cant find the script,,,

5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I own all of the previous seasons on blu-ray. I am ambivalent about buying the final season -- yes to complete the set, no in terms of a weak season. Any others feel this way?

7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Depends on if you really plan to watch and enjoy it. Personally, I wouldn't throw another penny that way. The showrunners and writers didn't care and clearly were in a rush to get out of Westeros, so F-them.

8. I'm really looking forward to get the UHD BD edition of season 8 so I can finally see what's going on on some episodes like episode 3. It looks like the stream versions worlwide were badly compressed on purpose forcing the fans to get either the BD or the UHD BD release. Episode 3 is the first time where I can see more banding and macroblocking than actual picture.

mozz likes this.
  9. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

While I haven't purchased any of the seasons, I did enjoy the last season very much. If had the previous seasons, I would definitely get it.

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Surely you have watched episodes like this before. Here is every error in Season 8 of the Game of Thrones:

I thought it was well done.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I decided to stop at six (as far as owning). Never actually saw the final season, with 7 being the last I watched. But I've heard plenty about the final one.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  12. Aren't you really curious to know how the series ends? I borrowed yesterday Ad Astra from a friend who got an early disc, I couldn't go on passed 50 minutes. Even whith such a boring an uninteresting movie like this one, I had some free time today and as I was curious to see if the movie got better as it went on and how it ended, I decided to keep on watching it and get to the end of the movie. If this happens, at least to me, with a movie with bad reputation which I only watched 50 minutes, that curiosity made get to the end, after so many hours of Game Of Thrones watching, don't you really want to spare some time and know how it ends? Come on,give it a try.

13. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

I will, no matter what.

14. agentalbert

I would be, if I hadn't already read about it. I had a friend who told me everything. I don't have cable (and thus no HBO anymore), and my smart TV doesn't support HBO Now. So I just never started up watching again in the long break between S7 and S8, but heard plenty. I rewatched S5 and S6 again recently, and I'm okay stopping there. S7 was the first one I really disliked and it soured me on the series, to the point I didn't really care I wasn't seeing the final round of episodes.

I could torrent them, I guess, but nah.

15. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

I'm actually 'OK' with season 7. In the lead-up to season 8, I was anticipating watching the whole series over again start to finish to enjoy it all over. That was crushed by Season 8. I have no desire to watch any of it again. There are fans that say it went off the rails in season 6 (or even 5), but season 8 was just bad in almost every

Maybe you'll watch it down the road, but you're better off picking it up in the bargain bin later on.

16. agentalbert

S5 and S6 (more 6) did start to show some cracks, but I still like them overall and don't regret purchasing them. Certainly not "off the rails".

17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I was surprised to see people disliked season 8. I thought 'the individual episodes "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms", "The Long Night", and "The Bells" were better than most action adventure films that came out the same year. I didn't love the last episode, but it was a neat way to wrap things up.

I went and rewatched the whole series and thought 7 and 8 held up well against the rest of the series. In some ways, they showed a lot of growth and development on the part of the writers/showrunners.

The director Miguel Saponchnik did an exceptional job. "Battle of the Bastards" from season 6 was brilliant, and he didn't disappoint in season 8 with "The Long Night" and "The Bells."

GregM, P(orF) and DML71 like this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I previously bought a S 1-6 collection for $70 and got S7 for $18. I may get S8 if I ever see it below $20 but it's not a priority. The complete series collection goes for nearly $170 right now but I saw the bluray at Walmart yesterday - $160.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed. The later seasons had greater budget to cover the production costs of the battle scenes and they were done far better than most war films and fantasy/sci fi films, including The Hobbit and LotR. Amazing show.

I don't know what to do about the series. I would like a complete 4k collection but HBO has only made available the first and last seasons in 4k, so I bought those and enjoyed rewatching the series on my OLED in the best quality possible right now. If a complete box is released I will sell seasons 1 and 8 and rebuy them as part of the box.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I eventually seen season 8 and enjoyed it.
    Noticed IMDb episode ratings episodes 1-3 were better.. ep 4-6, there was a drop.

I got the 4K version as it was a steelbook(came with BD) very nice looking but discs tricky to get out. Did consider the complete 1-8 blu ray box ..wasn’t enamoured with its design.

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I have seen several opinions (from those who have panned Season 8 in general) that the first three episodes of S8 were good, and then Ep 4 started off good, but the moment Rhaegal was shot down out of the sky and killed, the show went off the rails and never really recovered. I do not necessarily agree, but I can see why some might think that.

I still think Daenerys' transition to the mad queen and her eventual death could have been handled a lot better, however. The seeds were obviously there for her to become the mad queen, but that should have been more of a slow burn over a 10-episode season rather than flicking the switch on it so quickly. And she deserved better than the sudden death that she got. But it is what it is, and I still love that House Stark won the Game of Thrones, even if that victory was a little bittersweet.

My biggest beef is that Cersei never saw Arya and Sansa again once both got out of King's Landing (Arya in Season 1, Sansa in Season 4). I wanted Cersei to have see how strong both had become once escaping her clutches.

mozz and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Should have be a 10 episode season, agree.
    Bit cut to the chase ..ending, as if the producers said let’s just be finished with this ..we’ve had enough. Bronn was hardly in it.

Wolverine 05 and mozz like this.
  23. I got the US UHD BD Steelbook set a week ago and I've already watched all the episodes on UHD and regular HDR. What a flop, picture quality is not even average, contrast is low, one can see more of what's happening on episode 3 but that's not saying much as the HBO stream was dreadful. Detail improvement is marginal, yes, I know this is an upscale and not natively shot to 4K, but season one shot and postproduced on dated HDCam SR looks better on UHD BD than season 8 on the same format. It looks like this is a half cooked product to me. Both the steelbook and sigil magnet are nice but what I was really expecting was top picture quality despite this being a 2K to 4K upscale, 2K DI's upscaled and properly graded to HDR have a lot of potential to look outstanding. I'm sad to report than my beloved Game Of Thrones season 8 UHD BD set is not one of them.

mozz likes this.
  24. alexpop

Episode 3 (s8) don’t think anything going to improve visual clarity in the battle scenes as it seemed to be designed that way. Packaging not just steelbooks, hate stacking of discs on top of each other

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

after that ridiculous ending I have no interest in ever seeing the series again! Damn that sucked, but still not as bad as LOST!

Wolverine 05 likes this.