Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. I'd prefer her singing Yngwie Malmsteen Fire,that fits the thematic of GoT better, with Yngwie actually playing on the foreground, that would be something...

One think that I don't know if it's been discussed before but on the right side of the label where the use of HDR is stated "It features DTS: X" can be read.
    Is it possible that both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X tracks are included? Or maybe as this set looks much to be done 100% from scratch, Dolby Atmos is not used and DTS:X is instead. I really hope DTS:X is used instead of Dolby Atmos as I have a Pioneer Elite 9.1 receiver but set up to 5.1 (front channels bi-ampped) and Dolby Atmosnot always downmix well to 5.1, something that hansn't happened to me yet with any DTS:X audio track.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, they do it as data files, typically 4K DPX or maybe ProRes 444 files. Tape is a last resort, usually just for delivery. That happened about 8-9 years ago.

Naw, the show is fine. We binged it all, did about 2 episodes a day for a month, and it all made sense, had great performances, and was extraordinarily well-produced. If I had seen it once a week in the original run, spread out over 6-7 years, I might feel differently. I think Game of Thrones is a rare show that deserved all the accolades.

AudioEnz, Kiko1974, Ed Hughes and 2 others like this.
  3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree that it was a very good show. When a show reaches that white hot level this one achieved, there is always a tendency for some to try to knock it down a peg or two. I would say I consider my time spent watching it to have been time well used, and this show definitely finds a place in my top 10 all time favorites. (Very rarified air):angel:

4. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I was lucky in that I don't have HBO so was able to binge it all this year. I think it is much better that way. Not enough show to keep me interested over 6 or 7 or 8 years, whatever it was. I did love it until "the return" of Jon Snow. (Question: does this happen in the books too?)

When the show started the supernatural elements were very much in the background. There had been no dragons for centuries and nobody really believed in the white walkers anymore. It was all character and relationship based drama. That balanced tilted the other way as the show went on, so everything became less plausible. But still a great show.

Loved it that Bran keeps declaring himself the 3 eyed raven and almost nobody has any idea what he is talking about and seem to just humor him about it.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  5. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Well, that is still a cliffhanger in the books. Seasons 7 and 8 are all off-book because the last two books are still waiting to be written. It is almost a certainty though that he will return in the books, as those seasons are based on conversations with George RR Martin about where the series was headed. Most people are holding out hope that: 1. The books will see the light of day. 2. The ending will differ from the show.

vegafleet likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife and were speaking about this; The series end was probably the worst ending in modern history of a TV show...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

AudioEnz, GodShifter, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  8. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

There are few series I've watched all of the way through, which have aired for several seasons and did not end abruptly with cancellation. I think only Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, House and Game of Thrones fit that bill. (I'll eventually get there with Doc Martin and Better Call Saul.) No final season was great IMO. Seinfeld easily was the worst. Breaking Bad probably was the best (though I did not see the movie). The other two (including GOT) had their moments, but ultimately weren't very satisfying. In GOT, I liked the notion that (arguably, at least) not a hell of a lot had really changed that much in that they all were back to bureaucratic in-fighting at the end. Like goes on. Bronn will die and it will start all over again.

All Down The Line and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

indeed! ; )

10. Michael

yea, them too, but GOT bothered me the most. I loved the show up until the end. Now with LOST, I knew it was a waste but I still kept watching....big mistake...knew what I was going to wind up with and I was correct! LOL.

11. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Well said. I can't put it on the level of Sopranos or Breaking Bad (top 2 TV dramas by a wide distance, IMO), but Game of Thrones is easily in that next tier for me.

vegafleet and TimM like this.
  12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

The last series whilst visually amazing is a stinker, even the actors are going WTF is this s@&$

Last episode I agree, absolute rubbish.

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Why what happened?

14. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

I don’t think it’s possible to overestimate the difficulty involved in extending a show where the original material ran out. Martin wrote five very long books, but the last two moved the main plot lines forward at a glacial pace. When the written material petered out, Dany had been stuck in place forever, Tyrion was bumbling around following her to no apparent end, Stannis was off somewhere thinking about maybe doing something, Arya was becoming a ninja assassin, Jon Snow had been ambushed, Bran was, well, who knew?,and then there were all the Lannister plotlines.

The show runners had to extend and bring all these stories together and find a way to finish. I thought they did fine and thought the ending was satisfactory. I’d like to hear alternatives from those who were disappointed.

Mark B. and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I won't go int0 the missed opportunities of having Dani FACE Cerci, or other dialogue between characters who hadn't met...
    BUT...I woulda given the last episode a break, if they had shown Drogon take Dani back to Valeria, with all the red-priestess's waiting, He blows fire on all the 'stone-men', they go to where he drops her off. They pray over her, and her eyes open!
    CREDITS!!!

vegafleet, P(orF) and misterjones like this.
  16. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have always found it interesting how many shows I have thought highly of and invested so much time in limp across the finish line. I know cast changes, writer changes, and a hundred other things can impact a show but it still seems like the batting average is pretty low.

I don't dislike the last season of Game of Thrones as much as many people do, but I would agree it wasn't the shows finest hours.

17. misterjones

Missed opportunities is a great way to sum it up. Perhaps this in part was dictated by actor availability. Was it my imagination, or did it look like the actress playing Cersi had a single afternoon to spare to shoot three fairly lame scenes? Perhaps they could have hired her lookalike cousin to play her . . . you know, like Plan 9 From Outer Space. She could have held a cape in front of her face.

I was disappointed they didn’t use the Arya face thing at least once. (After all, they spent a whole season developing that fairly significant skill.) “I’m going to King’s Landing to kill Cersi. No, I guess I’ll just run around King’s Landing a bit then give up and ride away on this white horse that was killed about 45 minutes ago. No, I’ll stay here. Wait. Where am I? Are we in King’s Landing, or is this Winterfell? Now everyone is sitting around in a semi-circle. Am I in this scene? OK. I’m on a ship headed for the New World. Great! Just get me the **** out of this episode!”

How about Arya using Littlefinger’s or someone else’s face to infiltrate King’s Landing? I expected more along those lines, and less character moping about. All Jon Snow did in the final episode was fight, say “she’s my queen”, sulk, and knife the Dragon Queen. All dagger, no cloak.

PTgraphics, P(orF) and townsend like this.
  18. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Completely agree about wasting Arya’s face changing (wasn’t her whole character arc about acquiring the skill?) At the very least they should have used it in her final confrontation with the Night King. (Or are we supposed to believe she simply tapped each of his warriors on the shoulder and said “Excuse me, could I please get by?”)

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Refresh me please. The face changing thing includes the whole body?

20. misterjones

I suspect it does as Arya the pipsqueak appeared, apparently convincingly, as an adult male in the previous season.

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thanks. The one thing I found maddening (okay, there's more than one) about watching GOT was the long, long wait between seasons. So much happens in any one particular season that I had a hard time remembering by the time the next one rolled around.

misterjones likes this.
  22. Michael

did you see the ending?

All Down The Line likes this.
  23. Michael

we were so frustrated...ridiculous, sloppy ending.

24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

they needed the book which wasn't written yet, so they showed up their dreadful writing and narrative skills and ruined a near perfect once in a lifetime series...

good one

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

LOL, perfectly put! you nailed it. ; )

Kassonica likes this.