Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Brienne will be ecstatic as well!

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How many “final seasons” is this show Going To have? It Worse than my Local mattress dealers “Going Out Of Business” sign.

3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are you talking about? This is the only season they have promoted as the final season. Makes sense, considering this is the final season.

mrjinks, EwaWoowa, Deuce66 and 3 others like this.
  4. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to this season, but I also can’t watch without feeling that we’re looking at a clever imitation of the real thing. It’s like if after the Beatles broke up, Klaus Voorman and Billy Preston and George Martin formed a band and made records that they said the Beatles would have made had they stayed together. (assuring us, of course, that they had the boys blessing.)

The seasons since the show continued past the books have used George (RR) Martin’s characters in a linear narrative that contains very little of the crazy unpredictable brilliance of the books. Even after Martin lost his narrative mojo following book three, the books consistently succeeded in turning in unexpected directions.

Obviously there’s so much money involved that it’s in everyone’s best interest to move forward to the end, but should Winds of Winter ever see the light of day, I’ll be shocked if it simply matches up to the show. And then we can have the big debate over whose vision is most “authentic.”

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hm, I’d say if you’re a hater, stay out the thread. If it’s not your bag, that’s cool, but leave us dorks to our conjecture and other dorky stuff.

This is the last season. You won’t have to suffer further. Sorry it has annoyed you so much.

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I've considered all of my options. I figured what works best for me is to slowly torture myself by watching it one episode at a time each Sunday night as it airs. This figures to be such an event that it'd be hard not to hear what happened in the event I wanted to save it and binge watch it all at once.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I was one of the dorks that thought this way. Which... with the help of hindsight is kind of ridiculous.

There were clues leading us to think Jon may not be who we were told he was. But there were no real clues about Tyrion. Yet...I thought (or hoped, maybe) it would be so.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m not a hater but I’m not a lover. The more I watch the less involved I am. It’s nice royal intrigue but it’s not great royal intrigue. And I find the violence, sadism and sex a little OTT. I think I’m near the
    Middle of the 3rd season. Somewhere

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

For me it’s usually the long wait till media is available then binge watch, but as there’s been a incredibly long wait in the first place waiting for season 8. I’m tempted to take a HBO subscription.

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

So why on earth do you think they've had multiple "final seasons"?

11. Parachute Woman

HBO Now is $14.99 a month. You can sign up for it just prior to the start of the season and then cancel after it concludes, so you would only have to pay for one or two months. While you have it, you can sample any other HBO content you may wish to try. HBO Now has every HBO show ever made (I believe) on it. I'd suggest doing it, if you can afford it, as it will be impossible to avoid spoilers online once the season is underway!

12. alexpop

Spoilers ? I’ve already dipped my toes in it. s8 looks to be the most media coverage tv series yet.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

To the people behind the scenes who make the magic happen :righton::righton:.

14. alexpop

Body doubles for sex scenes apparently,

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The horror ...

townsend likes this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...
    THE EPISODE LENGTHS!
    From Yahoo:
    A pair of HBO website listings for Season 8 of "Game of Thrones" plus a few more kept out of public view together detail the six-part season's runtime, episode by episode.

The last two episodes of the last "Game of Thrones" season, which premieres on April 14, 2019, will match the longest previous episode for length.

Public listings for Season 8's first two episodes have been joined by unlisted but publicly accessible listings for the final four episodes.

The US network has allotted 54 minutes for episode 1 (HBO website ID 81555, April 14) and 58 minutes for episode 2 (HBO website ID 81556, April 21).

A visitor to unofficial series news outlet Winter is Coming then extended the episode ID pattern to discover runtimes for episode 3 (1 hour), episode 4 (1 hour 18 minutes), episode 5 (1 hour 20 minutes) and episode 6 (1 hour 20 minutes).

As a result, the shortest season of HBO's massive hit contains three of its five longest episodes. Season 8's last three broadcasts surpass the 68 minutes of Season 6 finale "The Winds of Winter," and its last two episodes match 80-minute Season 7 closer "The Dragon and the Wolf."

Still at a total of 6 hours 50 minutes, Season 8 is still the shortest of the seven seasons, undercutting Season 7 by half an hour. HBO is already preparing a prequel spin-off, "The Long Night," which enters production mid-2019 and provides fans with another adventure into Westeros once the current run concludes.

17. Parachute Woman

I saw this on Reddit. Some fans appear to be up in arms. They were expecting far too much, after some HBO executive said it would be like watching "six movies." I saw people hoping for six 2.5 or 3 hour episodes. That was never going to happen, especially considering I believe they have to pay the actors more per episode if they go over a certain length.

This feels about right to me. Good episode lengths. At 410 minutes, the whole season is still far longer than the extended edition of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (263 minutes). They have plenty of time to tell the story they need to tell.

Chris from Chicago and Pete Puma like this.
  18. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm just finishing season 5. If it weren't for Peter Dinklage I wouldn't have made it that far. I find the sex scenes a total yawn despite all the variety, just as soon fast-forward through them if there's no story progress. It's The Sopranos with dragons and zombies to me. :cool:

19. Parachute Woman

There are fewer and fewer sex scenes the further along they got in the show. Season 7 only has two, and both are important character scenes.

beccabear67 likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You say that like it's a BAD thing....:laugh:

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Didn't mean it to be, I liked and watched all The Sopranos so I'll likely make it to Season 8 of this.

22. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

But whats a couple of million more when the show has helped HBO earn more than Netflix. The main 5 actors are making 1 million dollars per episode but thats still kind of low compared to how network tv pay their actors for shows like NCIS and Big Bang Theory

GodShifter likes this.
  23. alexpop

Who’s the five main actors?

24. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

My guess would be Kit Harrington, Emelia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headley, annnnnd Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Maisie and Sophie are up there, as well.

25. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Also, I read that those actors make $500k per episode. While not $1mil, still nothing to sneeze at!